• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Kaiseki experience in toronto?...

fung jiao bao

I have heard of a new Japanese restaurant Downtown called "Sakura". It is supposed to offer a Kaiseki style dining experience. Has anyone been to this restaurant yet? I am interested because the cuisine apparently is on par with the offerings at Hashimoto, or the kitchen food at sushi Kaji.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

you never know, it could happen...

serious?! It's very rare to find Kaiseki style in Toronto. Sakura is a very generic name - do you have any other info on it?

wait, did a search, found a chowhound.com thread mentioning it. (scroll to the bottom). Some info, but not a lot. I'd be willing to try sometime. It's very different from what people have had of Japane cuisine in N. America.

//edit one more chowhound post says:

Has anyone been to the Kaiseki Sakura on Church (near Wellesley)? Seems like it's newly opened, took a glance at the menu on my way to Biryani House.

HMN! close by to my work... might have to try it out ...

Edited by jenc (log)

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the first posted review is up (that I'm aware of):

http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2006-09-2...foodfeature.php

It appears it's time to head out there to try this newly found gem. :wink:

(I do hope it's wonderful, since my trips to Japan I've been longing for more kaiseki experiences.)

I once had dinner at the Japanese Consul General's house back when Daisuke Izutzu worked as the CG's personal chef. The food was sublime and elegant; it easily surpassed any Japanese restaurant meal I've had in Toronto, including Hashimoto and Kaji. It's been 4 or 5 years now and I can't recall any specific dishes, but I do remember going into the kitchen to shake the chef's hand after dinner because I was enthralled by the meal.

Based on that one experience, I will give the new restaurant a try.

Sorry to go a bit off-topic here, but how is Hashimoto compared to Sushi Kaji?

I went to Sushi Kaji a month ago and was planning on just going back there. I am a bit skeptical and doubt I would find anything better in the Toronto area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went there last week with a group of 4. Restaurant was pretty much full. Reservations probably required on a fri/sat, although I didnt have any and just walked in. Very small restaurant.

Food was very good, each course getting better and better. I think i had 8 total. Presentations were amazing. Courses definitely came out very slowly.

There was pretty much no sushi at all and just one sashmi course (4 pieces in total. 2 lobster , 2 amberjack?). Interesting how for the sashimi course they gave 2 different soysauces, one had a quail? egg in it, that was for the lobster.

Nothing out of the ordinary, maybe except for beef tounge. Man was that nice and tender.

Service was very friendly, waiters really trying hard to give you and enjoyable experience. Be patient as they may not have the best english...

I would go there again. However I would go to Sushi Kaji again first..

Last note - I went with a Japanese friend(girlfriend's sister's boyfriend) and before while we were deciding somewhere to eat he mentioned how all the japanese restaurants he went to in TO were not japanese at all, and he disliked pretty much all of them. We were about to eat at redlobster (they really like eating americanized places) but while we were waiting for a table, I mentioned this place and said I heard it was quite good. We took a cab there and right from the get go I think he was pretty impressed. He defintely enjoyed the food a lot, and said it had the same taste as things he has had in Japan.

Definitely a better choice then redlobster that night!

I went with a Japanese friend(girlfriend's sister's boyfriend) and before while we were deciding somewhere to eat he mentioned how all the japanese restaurants he went to in TO were not japanese at all, and he disliked pretty much all of them.

He's right though - it's like assuming all there is to French cuisine is Cheese and Wine. There's a lot more to Japanese cuisine that most people don't consider...

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hooo! I went finally!!!

Quite a nite night, and for the price, (given that the only other option for Kaiseki is Hashimoto's), it was great. Especially considering the youthful group I went with. Wait staff was quite helpful and generous with their time and patience letting us know what each dish was, how to eat it, and yes, how to spell it.

Start the photologue here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/325627...57594245231237/

pretty detailed comments on the dishes. I have yet to put notes on some of the photos to highlight things on the shots, but I'll do that soon.

In a nutshell, I really enjoyed my meal there. We were quite full when we were done. The sake pairings were tasty and lots of fun. I would go back (soon, even!), again.

• 6 months later...

I didn't take photos - pity since some dishes were indeed works of art.

But two recent visits there have convinced me that this is indeed one of the gems of Toronto.

No sushi, only 1 sashimi course; but all the dishes are unquestionably Japanese with superb flavours and textures.

Even the richest (the tongue) is still elegant - and is served with bread from Thuet bakery (whatever one thinks of Thuet's restaurant, I don't believe anyone will argue with the quality of his bread).

And there's nothing else like this in TO (OK - if you go to Hashimoto, out past the airport, it's close in style - but not in elegance).

Just leapt into my Top 10 in TO.

Didn't take notes as was dining with friends both times - but definitely will next time.