• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bornholm rapeseed oil

duckduck

What's it taste like? Does it have a specific flavor all it's own or is there something I can substitute for it in a recipe if I can't find some?

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

That's what I thought I had read somewhere before but I just wanted to check and make sure I wasn't missing something important here. Thanks, Abra!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Well, rapeseed oil is just canola.  I don't know if Bornholm is something special, but canola is a marketing whiz' answer to the problem of it being called rapeseed.

Actually, Canola is a special variety of rapeseed that was bred to have little or no erucic acid and bitter-tasting glucosinolates, and tastes different than traditional rapeseed. Its not simply another name for rapeseed.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

A quick google of Bornholm rapeseed oil: produced with heat, enzymes and water (instead of hexane) in Denmark. Sold in health food stores, and used by Danish chefs. There is no indication of flavour, so it may be flavourless, like Canola.