• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tomato concentrate

duckduck

I have a recipe from Australia that calls for tomato concentrate. What is it? I'm guessing either tomato paste or tomato sauce that we have here in the US but which one? Or is it something different altogether?

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I want to make sure I get the right thing because it could change the thickness of this dish if I get the wrong one since it has gelatin in it. Maybe I should ask in the Australia section? I'll give it a few days and see what turns up.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Definitely, it is tomato paste - I dont ever remember seeing an Aussie recipe for "concentrate"!

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I'll go with paste then. Hmmm...wonder where they get those clear tomatoes from? :blink: I think I'd be afraid to know how they get it clear. Some things just scare me. :laugh: Thanks for the replies!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

A quick scan of the net suggests it's what we in the US call tomato paste. You can get a clear version of it now, too (click), for, you know, when you don't want to have that tomato-tasting dish be red.  :huh:

This is really scary-horrible. They call it a "natural savory flavor enhancer". Isn't that what a real tomato is?

The word "natural" has go to be one of the most mis-used and abused words on the planet.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday