• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andijvie

EDIT: This PDF has pictures and names of members of the chicory family. On a Belgian page there was mention of a Globo variety of andijvie. There is mention of a Globo variety in the PDF file linked above and it refers to a type of chicory called "Scarole endive".

So: I think in America you might see this as endive or escarole.

Edited by markemorse (log)

• 2 weeks later...
also known as "plain leaved endive", or "broad leave chicory endive".   :unsure:

i only care about finding couve galega which is non-existant in NL  :angry:

Collard Greens, called "couve galega" in Portugal ( according see below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collard_greens

If this is the green of the famous Portuguese soup "Caldo Verde", they are not collards or kale. That would be too easy. But from what I saw growing, similar to giant collards.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I only just found this topic due to my vacation!

Swisskaese, are you answering to the original post about andijvie with your reply, or to the second question about couve galega?

Because, I know nothng about couve galega, but I do know something about andijvie. :smile:

Your link to curly endive shows me something that is not the same as the Dutch andijvie. That same website does describe Dutch andijvie though:

escarole

as markemorse already mentioned upthread.

here's a pic from the Dutch cooking thread:

gallery_21505_1968_32840.jpg