• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone eaten at All Star Sandwich yet

Saucy Girl

Hmm. Looks like a good place to know about if you're in the neighborhood. I don't know if it's worth a detour, unless you're a sandwich afficionado (I'm not, except for the occasional bahn mi or cubano). The prices seem very reasonable.

The only place in Boston (that I know about) that made its name on sandwiches, is the Parish Cafe, on Boylston Street. Sandwiches created by local celebrity chefs. I haven't been in a while, but the menu used to have some by Jodi Adams, Lydia Shire, Ming Tsai, and others.

my boyfriend and I stopped by on labor day and it was closed ):

I have heard many a good thing about it on chowhound (food wise), but I hear the service is horrible. I could care less, because it just opened...plus I really want to try the meatloaf sandwich, beef on weck, and their version of the ripper.

Does anyone else think it is slightly overpriced? Some items are reasonably priced, whereas others are a little steep.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

The only place in Boston (that I know about) that made its name on sandwiches, is the Parish Cafe, on Boylston Street. Sandwiches created by local celebrity chefs. I haven't been in a while, but the menu used to have some by Jodi Adams, Lydia Shire, Ming Tsai, and others.

Ken Oringer's version of the banh mi is great, but who the heck is going to pay $10 for that when you can get the original for $2.25?

THanks for the link to the site (and the name clarification chris!)

The menu looks great, and I can see that I'd have a hard time ordering, just based on the fact that I'd like to try like, the entire Left column.

I might try to swing by there over the weekend to check it out.

If so, I'll report back.....

• 1 month later...

In the interest of honesty I must open this review with the fact that Jim (the partner with Chris) was in my block at cooking school for both years, was an usher at my wedding and we keep in touch to this day. So, when looking for a getaway before my kid arrived my wife and I decided to go to boston and relax and connect with some friends. Luckily it was the week of the ASSB's grand opening. The funky look of the place on the corner probably would have attracted me whether or not I knew Jim. The menu would have sealed the deal. It was so full of winners that I had to go twice. Unfortunately this was about two months ago and so my details will be sketchy. My pastrami sandwich was one of the best sandwiches I have ever had (including my own.) It was smokey and tender having been simmered in beer. The bread was perfect coming from local gourmet bakery Iggy's bread (I think that's the name.) The house pickles were crunchy and tasty. The Beef on Weck I had at my next visit was outstanding. Again, the beef was warm and juicy on an outstanding roll flecked with salt and caraway. I really can't emphisize how blown away I was by these two sandwiches. Go early for the Beef on Weck because when the day's roast beef is sold it is done (yes, it roasted for the day and is nice, warm and fresh.) So, in short, if you are in cambridge at all go to this place located on Inman Square!! It is really good and Jim is a great guy. so go, now, why are you still reading and not going there.

Fink

Ps also check out the review on pigtrip.net, much more detailed than mine.

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

I heard the beef on weck is great, so far I haven't heard anything bad about that sandwich. I should really give this place a try and see what all the fuss (good and bad) is about. Oh and if it's not good, I can always go to bukowski's and drown my sorrows :raz: