• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aish Al Saraya

The other day I was flipping through the Chef Ramzi book looking for inspiration for a dessert and I stumbled onto his recipe for "Aish el Saraya". I had not had this in years and I've always seen it made with soggy white bread slices that were not that interesting. His recipe used toasted bread crumbs instead and the picture lookes amazing topped with pistachios. So, I adabted his recipe, tweaking it a good bit and using my own measures since we all know that his recipes are not well tested. I have to say the result was spectacular and using toasted bread crumbs is a definite must!

Click here for the recipe

Aish el Saraya translates roughly to “bread of the mansion”. The word Aish in Egyptian dialect usually means bread, this leads me to believe that this dessert is originally from Egypt. Of course I have no proof or research to support this so I am just theorizing here. On the other hand Aish in Arabic also means life or living, so this dessert could possibly refer to a life of luxury, a life filled with mansions, cream and sugar. Anyone has any other ideas about the origin/name of this dish?

In any case this is an absolutely delicious, simple and refreshing dessert that requires no baking and whose components can be prepared well in advance. The nut topping is traditionally toasted pistachios, that will give you a very nice color contrast to the bread too. However, toasted almonds are also just as good if not better. Try a mix of both or either one. In the final picture I only used almonds because I was out of pistachios.

The 3 components of the pudding

gallery_5404_94_420950.jpg

First layer of bread crumbs

gallery_5404_94_402843.jpg

Added cream filling

gallery_5404_94_117154.jpg

Ready to serve

gallery_5404_94_45078.jpg

Because of the "crumbly" nature of this dessert, serving it and making it look pretty is not easy, but I promise it tasted fantastic. Reminded me a little of "Mafrookah" if any of you have ever had that.

gallery_5404_94_24587.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The other day I was flipping through the Chef Ramzi book looking for inspiration for a dessert and I stumbled onto his recipe for "Aish el Saraya". I had not had this in years and I've always seen it made with soggy white bread slices that were not that interesting. His recipe used toasted bread crumbs instead and the picture lookes amazing topped with pistachios. So, I adabted his recipe, tweaking it a good bit and using my own measures since we all know that his recipes are not well tested. I have to say the result was spectacular and using toasted bread crumbs is a definite must!

Click here for the recipe

Aish el Saraya translates roughly to “bread of the mansion”. The word Aish in Egyptian dialect usually means bread, this leads me to believe that this dessert is originally from Egypt. Of course I have no proof or research to support this so I am just theorizing here. On the other hand Aish in Arabic also means life or living, so this dessert could possibly refer to a life of luxury, a life filled with mansions, cream and sugar. Anyone has any other ideas about the origin/name of this dish?

In any case this is an absolutely delicious, simple and refreshing dessert that requires no baking and whose components can be prepared well in advance. The nut topping is traditionally toasted pistachios, that will give you a very nice color contrast to the bread too. However, toasted almonds are also just as good if not better. Try a mix of both or either one. In the final picture I only used almonds because I was out of pistachios.

The 3 components of the pudding

gallery_5404_94_420950.jpg

First layer of bread crumbs

gallery_5404_94_402843.jpg

Added cream filling

gallery_5404_94_117154.jpg

Ready to serve

gallery_5404_94_45078.jpg

Because of the "crumbly" nature of this dessert, serving it and making it look pretty is not easy, but I promise it tasted fantastic. Reminded me a little of "Mafrookah" if any of you have ever had that.

gallery_5404_94_24587.jpg

Thanks so much!

To add to your theorising, it could be esh el saraya but pronounced aish and in this case it is the esh i.e. the nest.

However, I would go for the Ottoman connection originating from Egypt as both aish is Egyptian for bread and Saraya is the Ottoman dwelling.

As for the recipe itself or the manifestation of the recipe (as each makes their own version), the top is never served crusty but soft.

If Chef Ramzi serves it crusty, it is his own interpretation and not what you are served in the Lebanese sweet shops or restaurants.

I also would like to add that Chef Ramzi is a TV chef with all what it entails. And as you know in most cuisines, there is a clear wedge between pastry chefs and other chefs. 90% of what Chef Ramzi is reporting is second hand information researched for him by other people working on the book and the TV series.

Knowledge he has, but flair he does not!

I am very weary of Chefs producing ready packed meals and microwaveable on top of it.

I supposed next will come the signature pots and pans followed by dinner services and perfume.....

Edited by Nicolai (log)

Chef Crash- Does your wife not place a layer of bread on top? At least she toasts the bread though and that is key!

Nicolai-

I like the "nest" theory, who knows.

I am not sure how Ramzi serves it, The recipe I used is based on his though and it certainly is not "crusty". Mixing syrup into the bread crumbs pretty much guarantees that. On the other hand it is not soggy or mushy like some versions I've had in Lebanon where simple un-toasted bread is used. The main crunch comes from the nuts on top.

As for Chef Ramzi's recipes, we know they are not well tested if tested at all. I use them like I mentioned, for inspiration and ideas and I love flipping through the full color pictures of food and Lebanese sights. If he gets his own line of pots and pans and meals, hey good for him, but please let us not dwell on this here, this is not the thread for it.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wow, that sounds and looks just delicious!  I need an excuse to make it soon.

Here are two or three... :smile:

It's the weekend!

Someone besides me needs to test the recipe and let me know if anything needs editing

Summer is almost over and this cold pudding is a perfect summery treat

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog