• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Don Genova Goes Canoe-ing

Memo

In the past, Pac-Palate-Don has ranted about the unethical tactics of the voting panel, restaurants and publicists in judging the Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards.

Lo and ahoy - Pac-man appears to be shilling his way into Victoria's hearts, with the publicist-organized eat-fest article on Canoe in the latest issue of BOULEVARD Magazine.

If you read most of the food media about southern Vancouver Island, you'd think (unrealistically) that everyone's walking/eating/sleeping a local/regional/seasonal/organic/la-la lifestyle.

Wrong.

Pac-man, like the rest of us, can only be righteous for so long.

Memo - sometimes loving, sometimes evil

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Hardly seems fair to accuse Don of shilling without mentioning the many others (particularly on this website) that have made shilling almost an everyday occurence.

My God, man all you have to look at is about 70% of the threads in this forum to find someone either shilling their restaurant, new magazine, etc.

I don't wish to point out individual examples but we all know who they are.

As for Van Mag, I find their awards a joke and based more on who takes out ads in their rag than on any actual culinary merit.

Look at the winners from years past and then look at who took ad space out and it's not that hard to figure out.

If you're going to beat up on Don, who is a nice guy, beat up on the rest of the people doing it as well.

Fair is fair, after all.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Hardly seems fair to accuse Don of shilling without mentioning the many others (particularly on this website) that have made shilling almost an everyday occurence.

Point taken. At least we agree we're all shills. :biggrin:

Memo - any day now, any day now, I shill be released

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

"Hello, Pot? Yes, this is Kettle calling. Um ... you're black

The difference with you OG, is that at least you talk about stuff outside of your "work experience"

Point taken. At least we agree we're all shills. :biggrin:

Yeah, what he said.

I have no trouble with what Don is doing. Hell, we've all got to eat, and I don't suppose his Podcasts rake in the dough.

A.

.........  into Victoria's hearts, with the publicist-organized eat-fest article on Canoe in the latest issue of BOULEVARD Magazine.

BOULEVARD MAGAZINE is designed to capture the personality, culture and vitality that is Victoria by focusing on the Arts, People, Trends, Food, Architecture and Design.

46,000 copies of BOULEVARD are published bi-monthly, with 33,000 delivered to Times Colonist subscribers in middle to upper income areas and 13,000 copies available through apporximately 80 selected pick-up locations throughout Greater Victoria, the Saanich Peninsula, Cowichan and Salt Spring Island.

BOULEVARD targets intelligent, educated consumers who appreciate quality and design.

Nice concept. :hmmm:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

My God, man all you have to look at is about 70% of the threads in this forum to find someone either shilling their restaurant, new magazine, etc.

I don't wish to point out individual examples but we all know who they are.

As for Van Mag, I find their awards a joke and based more on who takes out ads in their rag than on any actual culinary merit.

Look at the winners from years past and then look at who took ad space out and it's not that hard to figure out.If you're going to beat up on Don, who is a nice guy, beat up on the rest of the people doing it as well.

Fair is fair, after all.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

A shiller right here, I own it. I understand people's skepticism about the VanMag Awards, though I don't share it, but I object to the implication that if you advertise, you will win an award. Believe me, my job would be way easier if we were that kind of a publication. Yes, there is some correlation between restaurants that advertise and restaurants that win awards. A lot of it is about money - they have the money to afford to advertise in VanMag, and that means they have the money to afford publicists, sexy designs, special events, and all the things that attract attention. The attention of food critics along with the general public.

The judging process for the VanMag Awards is not perfect, but please, if we're doing it so wrong, tell us how to do it better.

And, to point out a sampling from this year's awards of winners who have never or rarely advertised in VanMag:

Aurora

Le Crocodile

Senova

Mistral

Ch'i

Diner

Habit

Lolita's

Stella's

Watermark

The Pear Tree

The Bins