• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Chinatown Fish Market

Daniel

Ok.. So, I have already started my Christmas Eve Dinner plans.. I want to do a big seafood spread.. There are at this point 40 something people coming and more keep getting added.. I have been told that the best Seafood prices and ingredients are in Chinatown..

Anyone know any exceptional places?

I pretty much always go to the Fish markets on 9th avenue below 42nd...

However, I've heard from many ABCs, and from what I've seen, that the markets on Grand east of Broadway are the better ones...

While you're down there, don't forget to hit that huge meat market, i think it's on Elizabeth?. It's the one so large that it cuts through to the the next avenue over...

Edited by raji (log)

Deluxe food is indeed on Elizabeth. For some fish, but more for seafood, try Centre Seafood on, um, Centre.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

You can go up to the Hunt's Point Market the night before your party. They say it opens at 12:00 am but nobody is ready to sell anything until about 2:00am. Costs four bucks to get in. As an example of the pricing, this summer I bought two headless wild chinook for 7 bucks a pound. At that time the same fish were selling in the markets for 14 to 19 bucks a pound.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 7 months later...

I buy often seafood in chinatown, but usually whatever strikes my fancy. However, I NEED 18 soft shell crabs this saturday. I already have the phone numbers of every fish market I can think of that might have them, but I was wondering if I should bother checking any of the fish markets in chinatown? Are there any places that generally have them in season? I live near chinatown, so I could take a quick stroll through if it's worth my time. Any other leads for the elusive soft shells?

Edited by Live It Up (log)

Are there any places that generally have them in season? I live near chinatown, so I could take a quick stroll through if it's worth my time. Any other leads for the elusive soft shells?

there are 2 places on grand close to chrystie that had bushels full of them last friday. They're across the street from one another- about 1 storefront in from chrystie.

Just about all the C-Town spots have them (when in season). I usually hit one of the two within a block of e/other on Canal near Elizabeth. (There are several others close by but proximity to the subways for these two makes them attractive esp when you're hands are turning blue from 8 bags of fruits, vegs, herbs, scs and 99cent crap : )~

That wasn't chicken

Are there any places that generally have them in season? I live near chinatown, so I could take a quick stroll through if it's worth my time. Any other leads for the elusive soft shells?

there are 2 places on grand close to chrystie that had bushels full of them last friday. They're across the street from one another- about 1 storefront in from chrystie.

Thanks! Do you happen to remember the price? I'm assuming I'll need to bring cash. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever asked if any of them take credit cards. Do they?

Bring cash - and I'm pretty sure the bushel baskets are live blue crabs, but not soft-shell, which are usually packed much more carefully.

In addition to the two seafood stores across the street from each other on Grand just west of Chrystie St. (and right upstairs from the B and D trains), there is another seafood shop on the north side of Grand St. just east of Forsythe - looks a little cleaner and a bit more upmarket than the other two, but I haven't bought anything there yet. Might be a source for soft-shells, though.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

As an update, I took a walk through Chinatown yesterday (E. Broadway side) and didn't see any soft-shells in the fish stalls on and around E. Broadway...lots of bushel baskets of blue crabs, however, which I'm pretty sure all come from se Asia.

As an alternative, you might call Wild Edibles, Citarella's, or any of the other higher-end fish sellers, who generally get the good stuff as soon as the season starts.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

As an alternative, you might call Wild Edibles, Citarella's, or any of the other higher-end fish sellers, who generally get the good stuff as soon as the season starts.

Wild Edibles in the GC Market has them........ @$9.99 each! :shock:

Wild Edibles in the GC Market has them........ @$9.99 each!  :shock:

Yikes - considering that the blue crabs are $11 - $15 a dozen in Chinatown, that's scary!

But then again, "local" lobsters are over $15 a pound lately, when they can be found. The Lobster Market/distributor on Allen St. had absolutely no lobsters in their tanks the other day. Is something going on with lobsters and crabs this season?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

As an update, I took a walk through Chinatown yesterday (E. Broadway side) and didn't see any soft-shells in the fish stalls on and around E. Broadway...lots of bushel baskets of blue crabs, however, which I'm pretty sure all come from se Asia. 

We were in Chinatown yesterday, and I saw some healthy looking softshells in several markets on the south side of Canal St, just west of Mott/ east of Lafayette.

We were in Chinatown yesterday, and I saw some healthy looking softshells in several markets on the south side of Canal St, just west of Mott/ east of Lafayette.

Ahhh, western Chinatown! How much were they going for?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Thanks for all the help! I actually wound up getting my soft shells from freshdirect ($4.33 each). Before I posted my request I had called around to some of the better fish markets in the city and was told that they were getting soft shells already but that they were sold out or whatever. Of course, they were getting more in, I just didn't wan to to risk not being able to get them. I think it's still really early in the season, so the supply is limited. Anyway, I got lucky and I didn't have to search the city for them, so I'm happy.