• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maxim's

cabrales

I'd appreciate members' input on Maxim's in Paris. While I appreciate that the level of the cuisine there today may not be particularly attractive, the restaurant has so much history that I am contemplating a visit sooner or later.

Insight into what dishes are relatively acceptable would be appreciated. :wink:

• 1 month later...

I'd appreciate hearing about what dishes might be relatively attractive at Maxim's, Paris. I understand that the cuisine is not particularly good, but am planning a visit for the historical aspects of the restaurant.

• 4 years later...

I’m not sure why anyone might want to know but on two ancient threads - here and here the fate of Maxim’s was discussed. An update: a notice in the #99 Voyage d’Affaires states that the downtown one (Rue Royale) now uses its exceptional space for lunches, cocktails, dinners or dancing evenings for groups. Contact info here where it appears that the four Cardin and four Maxim’s spaces are handled by one group.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 9 months later...

Maxim’s is alive but not well, according to Francois Simon in today’s “Hache Menu” in Figaroscope where he describes it as between woeful and pitiful and says it cost him 356 € for a meal in one of the most beautiful places in Paris that is alas dead; an abandoned Titanic.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

If you want to experience Maxim's grandeur you don't need to eat there. You can visit their Musee Maxims which is open certain afternoons. I believe you should make a reservation. The interior is pretty spectacular, as is the history. Before you go, there's a couple of excellent essays in 'Remembrance of Things Paris' from Gourmet magazine which recount the history of the place including one by Joseph Wechsberg which gives some excellent historical background. It's pretty interesting.

(Maxim's also has a website, but turn your speakers off before you click on the link...trust me.)

Edited by David Lebovitz (log)

• 1 year later...