• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO *Really* Soft Roll Recipe

Sunny Simmons Steincamp

While I've gotten pretty good at making several different kinds of loaf breads, pizza dough, dinner rolls, hoagie rolls, and crusty breads, my husband & daughter asked the other day if I could make *really* soft buns for "hot dogs" (we usually do brats or other sausages for these, but you get the idea.) They're wanting really soft, not-very-nutritious rolls like you buy in the 8-packs at grocery stores, and while I prefer more substantial bread myself (and they don't generally complain,) I guess I can understand the desire, now and then, for nostalgic white-bread buns.

Does anyone have a recipe for these, or some suggestions for modifications on, say, my basic hoagie/burger bun recipe so it'll fit the bill?

TIA...

This is my go-to for burger/hot dog buns

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks, guys... I'll try them both.

Question, though... since I don't have the benefit of a culinary school education... I thought (and thought my experience has been) that eggs in yeasted breads tend to make them heavier. Richer, yes, but heavier, not softer. Am I confused? Don't get me wrong... that second recipe is very similar to my dinner rolls (only I use honey, and I have a feeling mine are a lot more dense, even than ones made with this recipe) and I LOVE those... but I'm definitely going for soft & light.

Some days I really do wish I had gone to cooking school... :)

eggs in yeasted breads tend to make them heavier. Richer, yes, but heavier, not softer. Am I confused? Don't get me wrong... that second recipe is very similar to my dinner rolls (only I use honey, and I have a feeling mine are a lot more dense, even than ones made with this recipe) and I LOVE those... but I'm definitely going for soft & light.

Note that both recipes only use 1 egg. Not enough to make your bread heavy, just richer.

An egg heavy bread, like Challah is a heavier bread, but it uses many eggs. :smile: