• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eclat Chocolates

Bobby 2 Shakes

Has anyone been to Eclat Chocolate on High St in West Chester yet (besides me)? Imagine the overachieving offspring of Ferran Adria & Willy Wonka's sister and you have an idea of what Christopher Curtin is like.

They won Best of Philly for 2005 without advertising, an accomplishment in itself. Their artwork is on display and you can see the kitchen through a window behind the counter.

Never have I seen 20 chocolates disappear so fast, especially when only 1 person was eating them. :wub:

Has anyone been to Eclat Chocolate on High St in West Chester yet (besides me)? Imagine the overachieving offspring of Ferran Adria & Willy Wonka's sister and you have an idea of what Christopher Curtin is like.

They won Best of Philly for 2005 without advertising, an accomplishment in itself. Their artwork is on display and you can see the kitchen through a window behind the counter.

Never have I seen 20 chocolates disappear so fast, especially when only 1 person was eating them. :wub:

I haven't been there, but was given a box of their chocolates one time. At least, I think it was a box of chocolates, it disappeared so fast I didn't get a good look at it. They are some of the best chocolates I've ever had, and I'm glad they are kind of far away from me so I can't get them whenever I want.

• 3 months later...

Finally got some Eclat chocolates today, and those previous raves didn't even prepare me for how freaking great these truffles are. I had some little combo boxes made up as gifts, and it really took superhuman resolve to not just tear into them and suffer the embarrassment of having consumed someone's gift. I mean, those recipients wouldn't truly appreciate the genius of these confections would they? At least not as much as me!!

Luckily I bought a few truffles for myself, and somehow resisted raiding the other boxes. I was feeling like exploring the edges of the spice/sweet matrix, so tried his sichuan peppercorn, Balinese long pepper, Aleppo Pepper, and single-malt scotch truffles. (That's 4 different truffles, not all in one!)

They were each quite amazing, and just exactly right in scale, the unusual flavorings didn't overpower the excellent chocolate, just complimented different aspects of the underlying flavors.

These are unquestionably the best chocolates I've had in the philly area, and I might like them better than Jaques Torres in NY. They're interesting, well-crafted, and just plain delicious.

So, do yourself a favor, and get to 24 South High Street in West Chester (just south of Market, on the west side of the street) or to Fork: etc. in Philly.

www.eclatchocolate.com/

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Finally got some Eclat chocolates today, and those previous raves didn't even prepare me for how freaking great these truffles are.  I had some little combo boxes made up as gifts, and it really took superhuman resolve to not just tear into them and suffer the embarrassment of having consumed someone's gift.  I mean, those recipients wouldn't truly appreciate the genius of these confections would they? At least not as much as me!!

Luckily I bought a few truffles for myself, and somehow resisted raiding the other boxes.  I was feeling like exploring the edges of the spice/sweet matrix, so tried his sichuan peppercorn, Balinese long pepper, Aleppo Pepper, and single-malt scotch truffles. (That's 4 different truffles, not all in one!)

They were each quite amazing, and just exactly right in scale, the unusual flavorings didn't overpower the excellent chocolate, just complimented different aspects of the underlying flavors.

These are unquestionably the best chocolates I've had in the philly area, and I might like them better than Jaques Torres in NY. They're interesting, well-crafted, and just plain delicious.

So, do yourself a favor, and get to 24 South High Street in West Chester (just south of Market, on the west side of the street) or to Fork: etc. in Philly.

www.eclatchocolate.com/

This almost sounds like the Capogiro of chocolates - single malt scotch? I now have a reson to go to West Chester

www.eclatchocolate.com/

Do you like them better than Jubilee's, or John and Kira's, or whatever they call themselves these days? Those are currently my favorites, but I'd love to give them a run for my candy money...

Eclat's more subtle than J & K's, so they don't really blow them away, but I'd say they're a notch or so better.

Hmmmm....

What I like about J&K is the intensity and clarity of the flavors. The fact that there is great chocolate underpinning them is a plus, but it is, in a way, secondary. I'm not sure whether subtlety is something I have hitherto looked for in my bonbons (I know, sorry, love that word).

I wonder if this is a folks-and-strokes thing.

Clearly, further research is in order.

• 3 weeks later...

After a recent dim sum binge, we did an informal chocolate tasting. One of the futball hooligans in our midst insisted on casting it as a "smackdown!!" but I was think of it more as a survey...

I'm not sure if this was the point at which my camera went crashing onto the tile floor, or whether I was just obsessed with trying to decode the handwritten key, but I somehow failed to take any pictures of the box of 20 assorted Eclat truffles we sampled.

For comparison, we had some other local artisan chocolates, a box of John and Kira's (formerly known as Jubilee) truffles.

We sent both around the table a few times, and I must say I saw a couple of happy dances going on in the chairs, as well as a few rapt expressions, and more than one awestruck exclamation.

My personal take was that they are both amazingly good chocolates, with excellent flavors and textures. They're not identical by any means, but not radically different either. There were a few indications that folks preferred the Eclat flavors, but the Dave and Kira's creaminess, but I'm not sure that counts as a consensus.

In any case I think that the Eclat at least held their own against the Dave and Kira's, I'd even venture to say that I preferred the Eclat by a tiny bit. And let's remember that Gourmet magazine called Jubilee Chocolates their "favorites" back in 2003, so this is no mere parochial contest.

All in all, I don't think you can go too wrong with either one of them. Except for the mint, the flavors of Dave and Kira's actually seemed to be a touch more subtle than the Eclat. Eclat seems to offer a wider, weirder range of flavors.

ANy more thoughts from the testers? I'm thinking we might need to do a head to head with some out-of-state talent, maybe Jaques Torres or somebody. I doubt I could find anybody to participate in that test though...

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

I should try J&K another time. I had them once - through Caviar Assouline - and they were so subtle as to be nearly flavorless to me. Maybe it was a bad batch.

Evan

EDITED TO ADD: Where do you get em? Do you have to ship them from like across the street?

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

After a recent dim sum binge, we did an informal chocolate tasting. One of the futball hooligans in our midst insisted on casting it as a "smackdown!!" but I was thinking of it more as a survey...

I'm not sure if this was the point at which my camera went crashing onto the tile floor, or whether I was just obsessed with trying to decode the handwritten key, but I somehow failed to take any pictures of the box of 20 assorted Eclat truffles we sampled. 

For comparison, we had some other local artisan chocolates, a box of John and Kira's (formerly known as Jubilee) truffles.

We sent both around the table a few times, and I must say I saw a couple of happy dances going on in the chairs, as well as a few rapt expressions, and more than one awestruck exclamation.

My personal take was that they are both amazingly good chocolates, with excellent flavors and textures. They're not identical by any means, but not radically different either. There were a few indications that folks preferred the Eclat flavors, but the John and Kira's creaminess, but I'm not sure that counts as a consensus.

In any case I think that the Eclat at least held their own against the John and Kira's, I'd even venture to say that I preferred the Eclat by a tiny bit. And let's remember that Gourmet magazine called Jubilee Chocolates their "favorites" back in 2003, so this is no mere parochial contest.

All in all, I don't think you can go too wrong with either one of them. Except for the mint, the flavors of John and Kira's actually seemed to be a touch more subtle than the Eclat.  Eclat seems to offer a wider, weirder range of flavors.

Any more thoughts from the testers?  I'm thinking we might need to do a head to head with some out-of-state talent, maybe Jaques Torres or somebody.  I doubt I could find anybody to participate in that test though...

Hooligan, huh?

I am so gonna dress you in green and throw you into the wrong end of a Celtic-Rangers tie... For your own education of course. I would derive hardly any gratification from the ensuing antics.

And you got "Football", "Futbol" or "Futebol". Get it right! :raz:

I did and still do prefer Jubille. As I reflect upon it, it wasn't so much a matter of intensity, or even clarity of flavor. It was a certain... organic, maybe? quality to the infusion that just made the whole candy seem more seamless than Eclat's, coupled with the glorious creaminess of the ganache. Mind you, these were all very fine chocolates. The slight difference might be entirely due to the fact that the selection I actually got to try was more to my liking. Further research clearly imposes itself. Jacques Torres, you say?

Strictly in the interest of science, I think you should add Neuchatel Chocolates to the taste test. Made by an actual Swiss chocolate maker in Oxford, Pa. Used to have a boutique within the Plaza in NYC. Available at the Pennsylvia General Store at the RTM or by web/phone order. $35/pound for the truffles or chocolates. Totally different style, though from John & Kira's; where J&K's are French style, these are (surprise!) Swiss. My favs, though, are Belgian pralines (Marcolini or Wittamer preferred, but they're not available in town). But the Belgian Chocolate Houe, which used to be located on 18th Street, sells by web at Belgian Chocolate Online; I don't know who manufacturers their chocolate in Belgian, but it's pretty high quality (though, I'm quick to admit, don't have the nuance of the Wittamer and Marcolini products). BCO's pralines go for $32/pound plus shipping.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Happy dancer here. To be fair, they're different types of chocolate so it's not that easy to make a good comparison. Like philadining said, John & Kira's had a creamy texture with suble flavors, while the Eclat chocolates were more intense with a variety of textures. I loved both chocolates, but preferred Eclat over John & Kira--but not much.

As for Jacques Torres, I haven't had his chocolates, but I do have a friend who worked for Jacques when he was at Le Cirque. My friend sends us a box of chocolates every Christmas, and I have to say they're pretty amazing. So in order to get the real thing, I just may have to plan a detour to Jacques' store this weekend. Once we buy them the trick will be to hide them from Mr. Duck.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Eclat = better more "explosive" flavor

John & Kira's = better texture, more creaminess in the chocolate portion, not necessarily the fillings. Fillings were more incorporated.

If we could get the big flavor of Eclat with the J & K smoothness you'd quite literally have the best chocolate on earth.

Katie (recovering from her happy dance after tasting the Calvados Caramel truffle from Eclat. Damn that was delicious! :wub:)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Where do you get em?  Do you have to ship them from like across the street?

I believe Capaneus found the John and Kira's chocolates in the Reading Terminal Market, at the PA General Store. Although you're right, their main focus seems to be mail order at www.johnandkiras.com

As noted above, supposedly Eclat can be found at Fork, Etc, in Philly, in addition to the West Chester Eclat store/kitchen.

philadining.com

I believe Capaneus found the John and Kira's chocolates in the Reading Terminal Market, at the PA  General Store.  Although you're right, their main focus seems to be mail order at www.johnandkiras.com

Done did do dat. Pa General Store keeps John and Kira's stored away, with little hint of their existence, so you'll have to ask for them.

Someone has told me that they do retail out of their West Philadelphia digs, but I have nothing else on that, not even an actual address.

I believe Capaneus found the John and Kira's chocolates in the Reading Terminal Market, at the PA  General Store.  Although you're right, their main focus seems to be mail order at www.johnandkiras.com

Done did do dat. Pa General Store keeps John and Kira's stored away, with little hint of their existence, so you'll have to ask for them.

Someone has told me that they do retail out of their West Philadelphia digs, but I have nothing else on that, not even an actual address.

I think they produce their candies out of the old Goldenberg's plant, at 157 W. Wyoming Ave., between Front and Second Sts. However, they don't sell retail there and I don't know if they sell directly other than mail order.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

• 2 weeks later...

After receiving the latest issue of Vogue and going through our monthly procedure of determining whether Jeffrey Steingarten has an article and, if so, locating it, surgically removing it from the magazine, and disposing of the rest of the magazine, the result was an article by Steingarten on chocolate bonbons. Eclat is mentioned as having the "world's greatest caramel". This is true, but my girlfriend and I came to that determination months ago...

Eclat is mentioned as having the "world's greatest caramel". This is true, but my girlfriend and I came to that determination months ago...

Try the Calvados Caramel. Seriously. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Strictly in the interest of science, I think you should add Neuchatel Chocolates to the taste test. Made by an actual Swiss chocolate maker in Oxford, Pa. Used to have a boutique within the Plaza in NYC. Available at the Pennsylvia General Store at the RTM or by web/phone order. $35/pound for the truffles or chocolates. Totally different style, though from John & Kira's; where J&K's are French style, these are (surprise!) Swiss. My favs, though, are Belgian pralines (Marcolini or Wittamer preferred, but they're not available in town). But the Belgian Chocolate Houe, which used to be located on 18th Street, sells by web at Belgian Chocolate Online; I don't know who manufacturers their chocolate in Belgian, but it's pretty high quality (though, I'm quick to admit, don't have the nuance of the Wittamer and Marcolini products). BCO's pralines go for $32/pound plus shipping.

I just got a gift of a box of these truffles and while not an expert on matters of chocolate, I must say they are damned good indeed. Perhaps some of the best I've had outside of France and Belgium.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

• 2 months later...

i stopped by eclat chocolates while running errands in west chester today. here i sit, alone, a 12 piece box next to me and i need to keep typing so i don't down the whole box in one sitting. OMG, those calvados carmels are to die for! even the champagne truffle and orange, which i'm not huge huge fans of, are excellent.

my taste buds are doing a very happy dance! vogue voted them "best caramels". not sure vogue is the end all and be all of food critics, but hey, good press is a good thing.

the nice thing about eclat is they're right next door to my favorite parking garage. easy access. :)

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

Do they let you taste and create a box of your favorites... like La Maison du Chocolat ?

you know, i didn't ask. i just went in, got a 12-box, which pretty much encompassed all they had out. they have all sorts of chocolate bunnies for easter, as well as chocolate easter eggs filled with chocolates. my blood sugar's rising just thinking about it. i did, however, manage to make the 12-box last 3 whole days! yay willpower!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

Do they let you taste and create a box of your favorites... like La Maison du Chocolat ?

You can definitely make up a box of your favorites, and they're very nice about giving advice, but I've never seen them give out free samples. If they did, I'm afraid I'd be down there every day as they open, and would be found a short time later splayed on the sidewalk in a cocoa coma. And we really can't have that...

philadining.com