• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wait staff wearing... chefs' uniforms!?!

Lonnie

So, how does everybody feel about those chefs/cooks who wear chili pepper pants, shiny chefs coats, and toques with flames? I think they're cheesy myself and think those individuals are just trying to call attention to themselves, and you just get the feeling they wouldn't want to do any dirty work for fear of getting their outfit dirty.

Wasn't it Gabrielle Hamilton who said she got out of line cooking because she was tired of being screeched at by a 25 year old in chili pepper pants? :laugh: My gosh, I love her.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

So, how does everybody feel about those chefs/cooks who wear chili pepper pants, shiny chefs coats, and toques with flames? I think they're cheesy myself and think those individuals are just trying to call attention to themselves, and you just get the feeling they wouldn't want to do any dirty work for fear of getting their outfit dirty.

I hate stupid looking clothes. but my opinion is just that. there are alot of things I wouldn't be caught dead wearing in public, but to each their own. Now that I have a kitchen/office job....I can wear my custom made BLUE clogs!!!!!!!! Would I wear them on the street? f-no but the kitchen is like the bedroom, it's what pleases ME.

Yeah, it's fun when you have to go to the store mid-shift from the restaurant -- you totally stand out and get stares. But I'd rather be wearing a chefs outfit than, say, a fast-food outfit. :raz:

And I think any clogs other than black are UGLY. :wink:

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

(I worked in a 3-star kitchen where the stagers/trailers would come in droves, and grab all the white jackets.  Cooks wound up wearing the dishwasher/porter's short-sleeved shirts

To Gordon Ramsay's credit, he's the least pretentious appearing chef I can think of -- all he wears is a short-sleeved dishwasher's shirt. No fancy monogram with his name or restaurant.

Now what would be silly would be for the chefs/kitchen staff to dress like the maitre d. Or for everyone on staff to wear tight half-t-shirts and short shorts...or fuzzy purple dinosaur costumes.

At our hospital, the cleaning staff wear the same scrub shirts that most of the doctors wear, and no one ever gets the two confused. Well, hardly anyone...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

My wife and I left without ordering.  Neither of us could endure the sight of these eunuchs.

:laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.