• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Markets

Although not strictly Indian (more Pakistani/Middle Eastern), the Souk at Pike Place Market has some good stuff, including most of the spices that you would need for Indian cooking (different curries, garam masala, etc.). They also have naan and those pancake cracker type things I can't remember the name of......

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The eastside is probably the best bet. Two I know of...

One is next to the Bellevue Fred Meyer, in the same strip as Chuck E Cheeses. It had a decent selection of food, including frozen meals (from New Jersey), English type stuff (e.g. Heinz Beans), lots of videos, and of course various spices, ingredients, whatever.

And I saw one operated by Mayuri somewhere else, don't remember where. Maybe in the shopping center at NE 24th and 152nd, other stores there include Performance Bicycles and the Malay Satay Hut. Oddly enough, it was the staff at Mayuri (156th NE/Northup) who pointed me to the other store a few years ago.

Lots of Indians in that area working in the computer industry. Supposedly the Totem Lake movie theater (a bit further north) now shows Bollywood films.

Thanks mb70 for the Eastside info :)

Also, The Souk rocks. They sell all kinds of interesting things there.

I posted this on the other Indian thread, but Pabla in Renton is a combo restaurant with a sweet shop and grocery store attached. It's right off Rainier near downtown Renton and the Renton airport.

In Kent, there is a grouping of Indian stores and restaurants on the East Hill, but I don't know if it would justify the trip all the way down to South County (easily 35-40 minutes from downtown Seattle). But if you're planning to be south of Seattle anyway, it's an interesting, although somewhat seedy, neighborhood. I shop for groceries in some of the stores and have lunch every so often.

Here are the stores/restaurants on the East Hill. There are four that are right close to each other, then there are two more that are about 1/4 mile away. Call them for more info if you want something specific:

India Combo, 24023 104th Ave. S.E., Kent; 253-520-2440. (restaurant)

Punjab Sweets, 23617 104th Ave. S.E., Kent (bakery)

Rainbow Boutique, 23613 104th Ave. S.E., (traditional clothes)

KK Market, 23601 104th Ave. S.E.; 253-854-5236 (combo grocery store and video store and hair salon)

Across the street from KK Market is a Valley Harvest, an ethnic grocery store with lots of Indian whole spices (and also lots of Thai/Asian/Mexican groceries.... love that place).

Down the road is:

India Bazaar, 20936 108th Ave. S.E., Kent; 253-850-8906

House of India, 20938 108th Ave. S.E., Kent; 253-850-7700

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

There's an Indian store on the upper Ave--Neelam's, I think.  Or did they move?

Alas, Mamster, I believe the one you're thinking of has closed. It was above 52nd on the west side--last time I passed by they were an empty storefront.

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

I think we should just start referring to gc as 'The Food Oracle of South King County'. I used to think I knew something on the subject, but damn!

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'm not sure I want my vast knowledge of South King County and Tacoma to be my claim to fame. I think I better start posting about more Seattle centric stuff, hahaha!

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni