• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help from Nawlins eG'ers

FistFullaRoux

All of a sudden-like. I'll be working during the day, but I plan on burning the hell out of the expense account at night. No time to get reservations, and I won't be available for early dinners, but I will be in New Orleans tomorrow through Sunday. I'll be staying at a hotel in the CBD (I know, but the company got to decide).

I have a car, and I'm not interested in cocktails. Haven't had one in 6+ years. Part of the reason I've resisted repeated attempts to send me there until this emergency.

Where can I eat without a reservation these days? I know about the grab and go's and some of the neighborhood joints. I want at least 2 sit-down tablecloth old-school New Orleans meals. Maybe even brunch on Sunday before I point the car back toward the frozen Nawth of Birmingham. If I can't get old-school, I'll settle for damn tasty.

Quick trip, no reservations, wanna eat well, help a guy out, K?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

All of a sudden-like. I'll be working during the day, but I plan on burning the hell out of the expense account at night. No time to get reservations, and I won't be available for early dinners, but I will be in New Orleans tomorrow through Sunday. I'll be staying at a hotel in the CBD (I know, but the company got to decide).

I have a car, and I'm not interested in cocktails. Haven't had one in 6+ years. Part of the reason I've resisted repeated attempts to send me there until this emergency.

Where can I eat without a reservation these days? I know about the grab and go's and some of the neighborhood joints. I want at least 2 sit-down tablecloth old-school New Orleans meals. Maybe even brunch on Sunday before I point the car back toward the frozen Nawth of Birmingham. If I can't get old-school, I'll settle for damn tasty.

Quick trip, no reservations, wanna eat well, help a guy out, K?

Well, you are in luck right now, because the restaurant scene is not exactly in the best position right now, and you can probably squeeze into some really great restaurants with last minute phone calls.

In my opinion, there is no better restaurant serving classic New Orleans Creole food than Galatoire's. They don't take reservations downstairs anyway.

Upperline is one of my favorite restaurants serving both classic cuisine with some modern favorites. Call Joanne and tell her you are an eGullet regular, and you are in. I was there a few weeks ago.

In the riverbend, Mat and Naddie's has a smaller menu, more modern but with a Creole/Cajun influence. Restaurant One is also a favorite of mine. Though the menu is small, everything is fantastic. They also have a food bar so you can dine alone and enjoy watching the action in the kitchen and echange fun banter with the staff. If you go, call ahead, and tell Lee and Scotty that I said hello (I used to be the manager at The Columns).

If you want some other classic NOLA food uptown, check out Clancy's; they have the best smoked soft shell crab and a great atmosphere. In the Warehouse distrisct, I like Tommy's for the soft shell crab or roast duck. You can get the same cuisine at Irene's in the French Quarter.

If you want Cajun food, Bon Ton Cafe is fantastic. Great soft shell crab, outstanding steaks and a fabulous bread pudding (with a strong whiskey sauce). I haven't tried it, but a lot of my friends have enjoyed Cochon, the Cajun restaurant opened by Donald Link.

If you want good Po'Boys, stop by Domilise's for a great oyster or shrimp po'boy at lunch, or get a roast beef po'boy at Parasol's.

Well, that should do it for old-school NOLA food. Yea, there are a lot of great new restaurants in the city, but I can't get excited about Longbranch or Ralph's On The Park; I don't care how good the food is. There is good food in most large cities. When I am in New Orleans, I want New Orleans food. While there are several other classics, I am out of time since I am ready to go to sleep.

Good luck on the trip.

Kevin Lacassin

www.NolaFoodie.com

Kevin, that is exactly what I was looking for. Cajun, I can do at home. Learned from my grandmother, so no restaurant is going to be able to top it. I've probably got more tasso in the freezer than they do. :cool:

Galatoire's and Upperline are perfect. Even better that I can mention eGullet and find a spare seat somewhere.

Restaurant One sounds like a blast. And thanks for the poboy recs. My experience is more than a few years old, and probably wouldn't know where to start. Thinking a little further, I'm probably going to skip brunch and grab a mufellata to keep in the cooler. Central Market is back, right?

Many many many many thanks.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)

Dick and Jenny's, 4501 Tchoupitoulas.

Some of the best meals I've ever had. Anywhere. A great atmosphere (very local, neighborhood friendly) and amazing food. I'm always surprised how many "locals" have never heard of it. My husband once practically got in a fight with a man who kept telling him that he must have been referring to "Dickie Brennan's".

They have a smoke roasted pork with rice stuffing that is out of this world.

Have a good, safe trip.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

Just got back from dinner at Upperline. Every great review I've read about the place is dead on. They have a summer special of 28.50 for a 3 course meal. Too good to pass up. Joanne is a real sweetheart. Just a super nice lady who has a kick ass restaurant. I can't say enough about her. Service was quite good.

Even though it's September, I had the duck and andouille gumbo as a starter. If I could only have one thing to eat for the rest of my life, man, that would be it. The veal grits and grillades I'm going to have dreams about, and the bread pudding was outstanding. I'm not a big fan of whiskey sauces, and it seems every chef puts it in their bread pudding somehow. This was amazing without the booze.

Kevin, thanks again. Right on the money, pal. The gumbo is a new goal for me to reach for.

Gumbo, grits and grillades, and bread pudding. That's pretty much New Orleans in 3 courses.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)

Just got back from dinner at Upperline. Every great review I've read about the place is dead on.  They have a summer special of 28.50 for a 3 course meal. Too good to pass up. Joanne is a real sweetheart. Just a super nice lady who has a kick ass restaurant. I can't say enough about her. Service was quite good.

Even though it's September, I had the duck and andouille gumbo as a starter. If I could only have one thing to eat for the rest of my life, man, that would be it. The veal grits and grillades I'm going to have dreams about, and the bread pudding was outstanding. I'm not a big fan of whiskey sauces, and it seems every chef puts it in their bread pudding somehow. This was amazing without the booze.

Kevin, thanks again. Right on the money, pal. The gumbo is a new goal for me to reach for.

Gumbo, grits and grillades, and bread pudding. That's pretty much New Orleans in 3 courses.

Glad to hear that everything came out great. I would have loved to try the grillades and grits, but I am still thinking about that lamb shank and the roasted duck that my girlfriend ordered.

I promised I wouldn't steer you wrong. Happy to hear your trip was memorable.

-Kevin

www.NolaFoodie.com

Edited by UptownKevin (log)