• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hambugers, how do you do yours?

scubadoo97

When I take Prime tenderloins apart, thier is always enough scrapings left to make a couple of burgers.

Pretty cool you mentioned this. I was breaking down several terderloins the other day and did this. I scrape along the under side of the silver skin and other trimmings. I made steak tartar with one little burger. Last month while again cleaning terderloins I ended up with a large patty of meat that made a interesting burger. Even with no fat it was still soft and moist as long as it was cooked rare.

My favorite cut of beef is the deckle, which is the outer part of a prime rib or rib steak. Has anyone ever used ground deckle or a mix of deckle and chuck or brisket for a burger? I'm thinking it would be spectacular.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

My favorite cut of beef is the deckle, which is the outer part of a prime rib or rib steak.  Has anyone ever used ground deckle or a mix of deckle and chuck or brisket for a burger?  I'm thinking it would be spectacular.

I'm ready to try that! Sounds delish. BTW, I've seen that outer part of a rib steak referred to as deckle before, but many butchers I know identify deckel as the fat adjacent to the brisket (not the point cut, but the fat between the point and flat, though some folks call the point cut deckle as well). Everyone's nomenclature is different when it comes to parts of a steer. But no matter what you call the fatty meat around the eye of the rib, it's the tastiest piece of beef I know.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I mold the burger around a nice piece of unsalted butter rather than adding on top at the end of cooking in the bun as most good Wisconsin places do.

Oh boy, I'm going to have to try this. About how much do you use, a tablespoon? Two?

For everyday burgers, I grind choice beef shoulder, a bit of dried shiitake or cepe ground in a spice mill, some granulated onion and salt, and a splash of homemade brown stock. I always keep frozen renedered fat from dry-aged beef handy, and always grind some of that into it. The fat carries the flavor: it literally makes supermarket beef taste dry aged. Mayo, tomato, and lettuce only for me. I don't like it tricked out too much. The beef's the thing ;-)

When I get fancy, I use dry-aged, USDA prime skirt steak. This has a deep flavor, and an ideal amount of fat and collagen for real succulence. To the mixture I add duxelle and concentrated stock, and dress the burgers with homemade saffron mayo. It's more work, but well worth the effort.

I'm new here and not sure about the rules for linking to outside web sites, so I'll just mention that I have a detailed recipe and a video demonstration for the fancy version on my web site, which you can find linked in my profile if you're curious. I honestly think that it's the best burger that a human being can make. No truffles or foie gras; just excellent beef handled with respect, and enhanced as (I believe) it should be.

Thomas, aka the Wired Gourmet

I tried Marlene's late Father Paul's recipe for Peanut Butter Burgers last night and all I can say is they were great! :biggrin:

SB (except that; I usually mix ground meat with my hands, but in this case you may wish to use something else. :wink: )

why? I mix it with my hands. It's a bit messy, yes, but no worse than when people put an egg in theirs. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My favorite cut of beef is the deckle, which is the outer part of a prime rib or rib steak.  Has anyone ever used ground deckle or a mix of deckle and chuck or brisket for a burger?  I'm thinking it would be spectacular.

i'm pretty sure jeffrey steingarten talked about doing just that in that book 'it must have been something i ate.'

no, i just checked--he just bought an entire ribeye section, cut that piece off, and grilled it separately as a steak on its own. but i could have sworn i saw someone doing that--was it the guy from lobel's on martha stewart's show one time?

edited to add: for the record, i buy ground chuck. i season it the usual way with salt pepper brunoised onion and worcestershire. i cook it in 1/4 lb patties. and i do believe that any burger is made better by being served on a brioche roll. is a rich eggy buttery roll gilding the lily when you're having a fatty cheesy burger? probably. but it works.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

First I put some panko crumbs and milk into a bowl. I use about 1/3 cup of crumbs and milk to make a paste, for about 2 pounds of meat. I add salt, fresh ground pepper, a few teaspoons of worcestershire sauce and a few cloves of minced garlic.

Fat content is in the range of 25% I would say.

I grind chuck steak on medium coarse into this bowl and then mix it all up with my clean hands and shape into patties.

From here, lately it's always the charcoal grill. I have found with the Weber that I can cook over the coals and covered and about 10 or 12 minutes later, turning only once, I get great burgers.

I know that purists will say that the use of a panade is anathema. But it results in the best burgers I have ever had and everyone agrees who has them.

I tried this with ground sirloin but it wasn't a good texture or taste compared to the ones made with chuck.

I mold the burger around a nice piece of unsalted butter rather than adding on top at the end of cooking in the bun as most good Wisconsin places do.

Oh boy, I'm going to have to try this. About how much do you use, a tablespoon? Two?

If using unsalted butter quarters, a generous Tablespoon. -Dick

Just tried the butter-stuffed method (w/ thick-cut crispy bacon, Louisiana hot sauce, and ketchup): very good. I think I lost a fair bit of the butter, but it was very juicy and rich, like it'd been basted from the inside.

I've been working on the richest, most decadent burger possible and I've finally settled on one that has become a staple. We get a lot of requests for our "Burger & Wine Parties" which seem to happen about once a month now. The burger is pure without many "frills" or unecessary ingredients, but my version of the ultimate burger depends on ultimate ingredients.

I use 17% - 20% ground sirloin mixed with ground pancetta at a 4 to 1 ratio (beef to pancetta). I used to lard my burgers with foie, but that's an expensive step and I think the pork fat actually works better in this case anyway. The patties are formed delicately then seasoned agressively with salt 24 hours prior to cooking (thanks to Judy Rogers' writings and techniques). Meanwhile I make a classic onion confit (basically the onion recipe from Bouchon's French Onion Soup) and a velvety bordelaise of veal stock, thyme, shallots, peppercorns, and red wine. I reduce the bordelaise heavily and strain it several times. It's a pure luxury sauce. The only other condiment is a herbed mayonnaise (tarragon, chive, parsley, and chervil all finely minced and added to a delicate house-made mayo). Brioche buns are buttered and toasted in the oven before receiving a nice slather, only on the bottom, of the herbed mayo. The burgers are cooked in cast-iron at a searingly high heat until they are medium rare. The burgers rest, are placed on the bottom bun which has the mayo, they're topped then with a healthy spoon of the melted onions confit, and finally a generous drizzle of the bordelaise. The brioche top is laid carefully on and never pressed or smashed down, and I usually have perfect little batonnet potatoes roasted to golden brown and seasoned with flaky sea salt and pepper.

With a big glass of meaty Syrah or an old Bordeaux, what's better?

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I've been working on the richest, most decadent burger possible and I've finally settled on one that has become a staple. ...

With a big glass of meaty Syrah or an old Bordeaux, what's better?

I think I need a cold shower. (And an invitation to dinner, please!)

I use 17% - 20% ground sirloin mixed with ground pancetta at a 4 to 1 ratio (beef to pancetta).  I used to lard my burgers with foie, but that's an expensive step and I think the pork fat actually works better in this case anyway.  The patties are formed delicately then seasoned agressively with salt 24 hours prior to cooking (thanks to Judy Rogers' writings and techniques).  Meanwhile I make a classic onion confit (basically the onion recipe from Bouchon's French Onion Soup) and a velvety bordelaise of veal stock, thyme, shallots, peppercorns, and red wine.  I reduce the bordelaise heavily and strain it several times.  It's a pure luxury sauce.  The only other condiment is a herbed mayonnaise (tarragon, chive, parsley, and chervil all finely minced and added to a delicate house-made mayo).  Brioche buns are buttered and toasted in the oven before receiving a nice slather, only on the bottom, of the herbed mayo.  The burgers are cooked in cast-iron at a searingly high heat until they are medium rare.  The burgers rest, are placed on the bottom bun which has the mayo, they're topped then with a healthy spoon of the melted onions confit, and finally a generous drizzle of the bordelaise.  The brioche top is laid carefully on and never pressed or smashed down, and I usually have perfect little batonnet potatoes roasted to golden brown and seasoned with flaky sea salt and pepper. 

That is just about the most mouth-watering description of how to cook food, that I have ever read. :wub:

I've not tried this, but I will.

Hamburger is typically made from the tougher cuts, minced fine to give eatability.

Since most beef is improved by long time low temperature cooking, I can imagine cooking long and low (55C/130F), for example sous vide or in a very low oven for say 12-24 hours, giving the collagen a chance to dissolve. The cooked burgers can then be seared for service, and served in the usual way.

I bet that will give a more flavoursome, tender and tasty burger than any other, and a lot cheaper than adding Foie or other exotic ingredients to add Umani and mouthfeel to achieve the same effect.

It also enables you to serve a safe rare burger.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

The responses so far are cracking me up. Leave it to eGulleteers to cook a burger in all these different ways. I would kill to have that much time on my hands. I don't think I'll be spending the energy or time to cook a burger for 12-24 hours. That's just rediculous. I personally like the flavor of the meat so I just lightly season with salt and pepper and grill it. Nothing fancy and certainly will I NEVER attempt to make a burger the way shown below. That gave me a great laugh...thanks.

I use 17% - 20% ground sirloin mixed with ground pancetta at a 4 to 1 ratio (beef to pancetta). I used to lard my burgers with foie, but that's an expensive step and I think the pork fat actually works better in this case anyway. The patties are formed delicately then seasoned agressively with salt 24 hours prior to cooking (thanks to Judy Rogers' writings and techniques). Meanwhile I make a classic onion confit (basically the onion recipe from Bouchon's French Onion Soup) and a velvety bordelaise of veal stock, thyme, shallots, peppercorns, and red wine. I reduce the bordelaise heavily and strain it several times. It's a pure luxury sauce. The only other condiment is a herbed mayonnaise (tarragon, chive, parsley, and chervil all finely minced and added to a delicate house-made mayo). Brioche buns are buttered and toasted in the oven before receiving a nice slather, only on the bottom, of the herbed mayo. The burgers are cooked in cast-iron at a searingly high heat until they are medium rare. The burgers rest, are placed on the bottom bun which has the mayo, they're topped then with a healthy spoon of the melted onions confit, and finally a generous drizzle of the bordelaise. The brioche top is laid carefully on and never pressed or smashed down, and I usually have perfect little batonnet potatoes roasted to golden brown and seasoned with flaky sea salt and pepper.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

You'd be surprised how simple it is. Sure, the bordelaise requires veal stock but I always have some on hand in the freezer since I tend to make it in 2.5 gallon batches. The onions for the confit pretty much cook themselves once they're sliced down and added to butter in a large cooking vessel. They cook at a simmer for around 5 hours and all you have to do is stir every once in awhile. The mayo is just egg yolks and lemon juice emulsified with canola oil and then fresh herbs are added. Once the core ingredients are done we're only talking four components. Burger, sauce, onions, mayo. The buns I buy from a local bakery here in Orange County. It tastes like a million bucks but the techniques are timeless and completely straightforward. I thik the burger deserves to be elevated. It's the perfect sandwich!

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com