• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mattar Paneer Recipes?

Schielke

Will do with the tomatoes. Even though they were a rough chop, everything turned out very tasty!

I did try the paneer plain and loved it, it has a nice creamy texture and a very subtle sourness like a toned down yogurt.

The store bought paneer only has its firmness and ease of use going for it. Homeade all the way when I have time!

One other question, a few bites of the dish resulted in chomping down on a cardamom pod, which resulted in pure cardomom flavor that was too strong. How do you deal with whole spices in the dish that could result in a suprising bite?

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Very interesting question.... hmmm.....

Well, in India, we often would not worry, for as we eat with our hands, most people are able to catch these whole spices very easily, and an eater like me, that is afraid or unsure about eating with hands, looks carefully at my fork for what I am taking in... So that is one way of avoiding such surprises.

Another way is to tie up these whole spices in a piece of muslin or cheescloth. I would add a little extra of each if I were doing this. You can then toss the bag before serving. You save yourself the surprises.

Do whichever you feel comfortable with.

I like the surprises personally, and most of my friends have become used to them and actually fond of these bursts of flavor. But I did warn them for the first year... as they came to eat.. about being very careful. Cloves can be t he worst.. or even black cardamom.... both of those can very rather intense.

This is a great thing you brought up. Thanks! :smile:

• 4 months later...

Not in the last few weeks or so. I have been feeling the itch though. I havent been able to since I have been traveling a bit for work and can't cook while on the road.

I was interested in making some Behl Poori though....sounds great!

Thanks for asking though, I am sure it was the boost I needed to get back in the kitchen.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Also,

Katie says that she will love you forever now that we have a recipe for the tamarind chutney and green chutney.  It is one of her favorite things at a local indian place. 

Thanks Suvir!

Ben & Katie

That is sweet.

Well if Katie likes the chutney flavorful and spicy while being sweet, follow the recipe as is... or else you can add less cayenne.

The tamarind chutney recipe is really very good.

Hope you all enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the Mattar Panner recipe. I made it last night and it

was much better than the recipe I had been using. (Found it online

somewhere I think).

Served the dish with basmati rice and some truly wretched poori bread. I have tried to make this at least ten times and it never puffs

up all the way around and usually tastes greasy.

Any suggestions about making poori bread would be most appreciated. :smile:

Melissa

hey ben - just wanted to say that perhaps the next time you're making paneer you could even think of adding some spices to the milk before you "curdle" it. curshed peppercorns. cumin. mace. you know ..

you can then serve it as an appetizer a la caprese but with the spices making up for the taste of fermentation/curdling that mozzarella making causes

or you can serve it with a dipping sauce.

also about the whole spices - yeah, i just love biting into those. cardamoms even!

Thank you for the Mattar Panner recipe.  I made it last night and it

was much better than the recipe I had been using.  (Found it online

somewhere I think).

Served the dish with basmati rice and some truly wretched poori bread.  I have tried to make this at least ten times and it never puffs

up all the way around and usually tastes greasy. 

Any suggestions about making poori bread would be most appreciated. :smile:

If you email me a recipe with Poori in the Subject, I shall email you some recipes for pooris.

I am glad the recipe worked ok for you... thanks for posting about your experience.

I look forward to reading more from you in the forums. :smile: