• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Smaller Wineries in Napa & Surrounding Areas?

chuckyoufarley

My wife, I and 8 other friends are headed to Napa for an extended weekend at the end of this month.

While we're there we're hoping to discover some smaller wineries, or hot spots that are gaining buzz.

All the folks we are with are hoping to find a few smaller under the radar wineries and avoid the larger wineries (insert the word gouging here).

Anyone know of any smaller wineries that are producing great wines that would have a real good ratio of value to quality?

What's happening up there right now?

It's been nearly four years since our last trip and I feel a little out of it.

Is there anybody we should know about to call for an appointment while we're there?

Shaun

"You can take my foie gras when you can pry it from my cold dead hands"

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

I don't know if this counts as small, but in April we did a tour at Far Niente, a winery that only opened itself up to the public a few years ago. The grounds and buildings are breathtaking. Our tour guide was very interesting and knowledgeable, and it was pretty non-touristy. Tasted some fantastic wines. A bit pricey at $40 for the tour and tasting but worth it, in my opinion. Reservations are required. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

I used to work at Ladera and can recommend them highly (obviously). But a day atop Howell Mountain will give you some amazing wines to taste: O'Shaughnessy, Neal, Outpost, Lamborn, et al were all favorites of mine during my tenure.

Howell Mountain in general is getting lots of buzz and high ratings. The drive up is scrumptious and there are a number of wineries that will let you picnic on their grounds (no eating places up there to speak of).

We're heading back up in December for our fourth trip in around 20 months. These are on our radar for the next trip:

El Molino

Viader

Hunnicutt

Pride

Atalon

Paraduxx

Igneous

Lewelling Vineyards

Trespass Vineyard

Vineyard 29

Lail Vineyards

Constant

Seavey

Caldwell

Marcassin Winery

Peter Michael

Hourglass

Reynold's Family Winery

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

We're heading back up in December for our fourth trip in around 20 months.  These are on our radar for the next trip:

El Molino

Viader

Hunnicutt

Pride

Atalon

Paraduxx

Igneous

Lewelling Vineyards

Trespass Vineyard

Vineyard 29

Lail Vineyards

Constant

Seavey

Caldwell

Marcassin Winery

Peter Michael

Hourglass

Reynold's Family Winery

And thank you for allowing me to plagiarize your old post for my new gain.

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

Oh yeah, and Pina (the Spanish spelling for pineapple with the accent over the "n") is a must try winery. Call for an appointment. They don't have a tasting room but man do they make good cabs. It's on the Silverado Trail near Miner. They have three new blocks up on Howell and the 2005 is their first vintage from those vines. I doubt they'll be pouring it, but I hear they're real stunners.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Over in Sonoma: Moshin, Arista (both on Westside Rd.) Both with good Pinot. In Dry Creek: Bella, Deux Amis. Bella's tasting room is in a hillside cave, they make several different Zins and Syrahs. Deux Amis is in a old tin barn with two barrels and a plank for a tasting room. They do 3 zins and a Petite Syrah. Ask for Jim (tell him I sent you!!)

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Aren't you staying in Yountville? While there, on the South-end of town just across the street from Elyse, is Havens. Check out Havens for great buys on Merlot and Syrah from their Hillside vineyards. I think you can pick up "library" bottles of the Merlot in 375ml format for around $14 - $16. They're great to have around for a quick pour.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Aren't you staying in Yountville?  While there, on the South-end of town just across the street from Elyse, is Havens.  Check out Havens for great buys on Merlot and Syrah from their Hillside vineyards.  I think you can pick up "library" bottles of the Merlot in 375ml format for around $14 - $16.  They're great to have around for a quick pour.

We are staying in the very north of Napa south of Yountville.

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

Okay, so we went to Stonehill Tavern again . . . because why not? We were having the tavern burger and wanted a big meaty red wine to stand up to the earthy-fatty-meatiness of the truffled burger bomb I love so much. The wine guy recommended a Syrah from Pax winery at the base of Spring Mountain on the Sonoma side. What a treat. It was definitely showing it's youth (2004) but it had all that big meaty, tar, black fruit, dust thing happening and it stood up punch for punch against the burger.

After I signed up to be added to their mailing list I was contacted back by one of the managing partners. We proceeded to have a 30 minute conversation on Syrah, but that's another conversation all together.

I highly recommend stopping by. We're headed over for sure. Their bottles range from $45 - 65, give or take.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com