• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Schokinag Bitter-Sweet

Desiderio

I know we probably went over this topic several time, but chocolate season start for me this weekend and doing inventory of what I have left and not, I need to order some white chocolate and dark ,I was wondering how is the Schokinag Bitter-Sweet , if anyone ever tried if suitable for chocolate making or not ( buying it in bulk thats why ) I dont know the % I have asked the vendor waiting for and answer ,I thin they only have 3 type ?Right? the milk the white and the bitter sweet that most of the sites says its 71/72 %.

If you have any feedback it will be appreaciated

Thank you much

Vanessa

They actually have 2 darks -- regular bittersweet and extra bittersweet. The extra bitter is the best tasting that I have ever had at that % (72%). Smooth and creamy yet very dark. I would use it if I could. I liked their white very much also. Some whites give me a tingling in the back of my throat (I wish I knew what did that), but theirs doesn't. Melts beautifully as well.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Thank you so much for your answers.I think the one the site has is the bittersweet not the extra , but that would be nice to try a nice smooth very dark chocolate yummy , thanks for the feedback on the white as well as they have a real good price and I wanted to try it.

Vanessa

absolutely nothing wrong with it in my book.  We use it heavily at school.

Thank you for your feed back , I am glad to hear you use it at school as well I did a rather big order ( well so ) so I am reassured about that :raz: .

Vanessa

We used it a lot at the fine-dining restaurant I worked at. I found that it melted well and was not quite as viscous as Callebaut (nor yet as runny as Lindt). To my taste, the flavour is earthier and less fruity/acidic than Callebaut. I prefer it for applications where the end flavour is to be less sweet than bitter. It's a solid product at a reasonable price, in my experience.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

We used it a lot at the fine-dining restaurant I worked at.  I found that it melted well and was not quite as viscous as Callebaut (nor yet as runny as Lindt).  To my taste, the flavour is earthier and less fruity/acidic than Callebaut.  I prefer it for applications where the end flavour is to be less sweet than bitter.  It's a solid product at a reasonable price, in my experience.

Thank you also for the nice feedback , I am looking foward to work with a new type of chocolate ( I have been using Eguittard mostly and some El rey ,and I like them a lot for taste and the nice versability ( ?sp ) ).

Later on if my finances permit , I want definatly try Valrhona , and on my trip back to Italy , probably go and try Domori, Amadei, Slitti etc ( cheaper there thanto order samples here ).

Vanessa