• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe contest

hosinmigs

Morning all,

I'm a soon-to-be pastry student and they are running a scholarship that I'd like to enter.

Interestingly, the entry doesn't need to be an original recipe, only scratch. However, I'd like to do an original. Seems like fun and might get me a few brownie points, so to speak.

I have two ideas so far. One is to do a sort of chocolate-mojito pie. I envision it will be based on a key lime recipe, only with the addition of mint, rum, and chocolate. Presentation counts a fair amount, so I'd like to maybe create some mint-shaped chocolates leaves for the plating.

The other idea is to kind of go off base a bit and use an unusual ingredient. In other words, the wow or interesting factor. My initial thought was rose water.

So, any ideas or thoughts? I have about a month to create and perfect this recipe, but there are such endless possibilities that I'm afraid I don't know where to start. Does anyone have some general thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.

Ian

“There is no sincerer love than the love of food.”

I'm amazed that they don't require the recipe to be original. I don't see the point in having the entrants using someone else's recipe.

Glad you are developing one of your own. Good luck, it sounds wonderful.

Best,

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I really like your combinations you are considering for the pie. You obviously have a talent for matching flavors, but presentation-wise, pies are sort of limited. They just do not have that WOW factor.

I am all about cakes and what a medium to mix flavors and sculpt into just about anything imaginable. Even the more subtel ones can be stunning.

http://www.laduni.com/brochures/cuatrolechescakeweb.pdf

I created my own cake recipes which I think are the best, and you could do the same quite easily.

If cakes are not your thing, then I would investigate combining more exotic, ethnic combos to create something that works together flavor-wise and bang out a pastry that is not so commonly known.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I am all about cakes and what a medium to mix flavors and sculpt into just about anything imaginable.  Even the more subtel ones can be stunning. 

Rodney, I'm assuming you've made the above cake? And you liked it?

Oh I did indeed and it was delicious. Although, I did not use that cake recipe. Mine, from what I remember, had a bit of corn flour and rum in it.

I am all about cakes and what a medium to mix flavors and sculpt into just about anything imaginable.  Even the more subtel ones can be stunning. 

The cake that RodneyCK is referring to a cake named Cuatro Leches Vanilla Mantecado Cake Recipe and is one I first wrote about in my blog http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index....d=1&showentry=4

I found the cake recipe while in Texas visiting a bakery called La Duni Latin Kitchen and Baking Studio! Lots of bakers have tried this delicious recipe and commented on it on my website. There, you will see photos and some comments on how to bake the cake properly. It needs some adjustments. I don't believe you can use cornflour in this particular recipe. You need to follow the recipe to a "tee" and it will work. http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=445

If you have any questions, please let me know. I know lots about making this cake.

Chef Dunia is very talented, as you will see! ~

And, hosinmigs, good luck with your contest!

Edited by Sarah Phillips (log)

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

Did a rose and pomegranate molasses truffle centre that was very interesting. Might want to experiment a little with the combination.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Did a rose and pomegranate molasses truffle centre that was very interesting.  Might want to experiment a little with the combination.

Mmmmm...That sounds wonderful!

And, I agree with gbbaker! I like the idea of making small tarts, too!

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

Those ideas sound great. I like the truffle idea. Done a bit of experimenting with those at home, though mine still look terrible.

The rules call for the entry to feed 6 to 8 people. Suppose there's no reason I can't do 6 to 8 tarts.

Thanks everyone.

“There is no sincerer love than the love of food.”

hosinmigs, I wish you the heartfelt enthusiastic best. I don't know how your schoarship thing is going to be played out there--in what kind of forum. Like make it at home & bring it or what. I mean my son was in a two day cook-off for a scholarship when he was in school. And if it is that type of setting where you are 'on the spot' then let me say that what he learned is watch out for the 'what ifs'.

Like what if it's too warm for the chocolate to set up, what would you do? What if this, what if that. Run your interference just as intensely as you are running your primary battle. In other words, make it as controlled as possible. Kwim? Insulate yourself. You can't count on just one set of variables when you make this. What if it's humid, what if it's dry, cold, hot, what if someone changes the temp on your oven. What if it's a convection oven instead of a regular and vice versa. That type of thing.

Best of the best to you.

Since original recipe is not an issue - I doubt there are points to be had

You can pursue that route but you have to make sure that you are able to deliver excellent flavor, texture, and clean techmical work

there is no credit whatsoever to be had for time spent, effort put in, and great ideas if your execution is not there to back it up

If you are going to go after one of these original ideas you mention make absolutely certain that it looks clean, neat, attractive, appetizing

make sure that you spend time on your execution

Taste it - exactly as you will present it for judging - same plating, accompaniment, temperature so you know what they will taste

Get a few other people to taste it - get their feedback

In general - I think you are better off going for something you know you can do, and do really well at this stage of the game. You get one chance to make an impression - make it a good one. Fusion flavors can backfire - if you don't know who will be judging and their openness to unusual flavor combos you could be in trouble. If you decide to go innovative - have a variety of people taste test - people who can provide objective feedback without hurting your feelings. Also, make sure you signal your flavor visually to prepare judges for what they will eat.

Consider a sort of deconstructed approach like Gale Gand's Black Forest Cake where she has several elements on the plate including a small beverage element.

Also, check the rules to make sure that they do not specify that you should bring a single item such as a cake - consider giving the school a call before pursuing individual tarts.

Check with students who submitted items in previous years if you can locate them or know someone - what did they do? what did they wish they did not do? what did they wish they had done? what sort of feedback did they get? what won?

Good luck with the scholarship.