• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plum Jelly

Daniel

I brought these plums (Italian Prunes)home tonight.. If I dont do something with them now, they will go to waste.. Anyone have a recipe I can bang out in a few hours this evening.. I want to give half of what I make to the plum provider tomorrow morning..

I am thinking Plum and Port or just a super enriched plum.. I would love suggestions..

gallery_15057_2971_153346.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel, I have 1 1/2 gallons of brandied prune plums in my fridge now, mellowing for the holidays. It's dead easy and quick to make, and it's astonishingly easy to create something wonderful with them in a matter of minutes after a month or two of resting. Does this sound like something you'd do?

If so, run out now before the stores close and get a decent inexpensive brandy, 2 cups for every 3 lbs of plums, and I'll tell you the rest after I make supper. Be sure you have plenty of sugar, some cinnamon sticks, and some glass containers that you don't need for a couple of months.

Thanks Abra for helping me out so quick!!!

That certainly is something I would do, I am just looking for a quick something I could put togher with in a few hours. Have ready by tomorrow morning

Edited by Daniel (log)

On a side note, I have to show some love for those tomatoes.. My girl made a Caprase Salad with these guys.. A 20 yr Balsamic, a beautiful olive oil, pick your own basil from a roadside stand.. It cant be better.

gallery_15057_2971_11450.jpg

I got this fabulous recipe from ScorchedPalate. I hope she will be glad I posted it here for the world to enjoy.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Madison Valley Brandied Plums

Recipe By : ScorchedPalate

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

3 pounds Italian prune plums

1 inch long stick cinnamon

2 cups sugar

1/4 tsp salt

2 cups brandy

Boil a stockpot of water as deep as the shoulder of your canning jar. (I use a 2-quart hinged-lidded jar for a full recipe -- you can always portion into smaller jars for giving away once they're done.)

Wash and stem plums. Prick several holes around stem ends. Pack plums into the canning jar. Quarter and pit remaining plums and re-pack, placing quartered/halved pieces in gaps that form between whole plums. Add cinnamon stick.

In a 2-quart saucepan, bring sugar, salt, and 1 cup water to a boil, then turn to low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool for 10 minutes, then stir in brandy. Immediately pour liquid into jar up to 1/2 inch from the rim.

Partly close jar, leaving room for steam to escape, and place in boiling water for 5 minutes. Carefully remove jar with a jar-lifter or 2 sets of tongs, and close the lid. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate. They're good right away, but better after a couple of weeks. Leftover syrup (either before or after plums have steeped in it) is great in soda water or champagne, or over ice cream.