• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imparting the Joys of Mixology to Others

Chris Amirault

If you've read the Daily Gullet piece titled "Hooch" (click), you know that I've come upon my cocktail fetish fairly recently, but, like a true believer, I now see the light and must, by duty, bring others to see it as well. This topic is devoted to such evangelical strategies.

There have been occasions at which I've mustered a workable plan involving specific bottled drinks -- Salty Dogs and Gingered Gentlemen, in particular, for a chips 'n' salsa shindig for my wife's coworkers -- but I've yet to find a workable line for guests who are utterly unaware of the wonders of the cocktail. "Do you want a drink?" has proven ineffective, since people seem hesitant to ask for something specific, assuming that my liquor cabinet isn't as well stocked as it is. Of course, I live in fear that they'll ask for a vodka and tonic; having your host's face crumple with contempt seems an uninviting way to start off an evening, don't you think? I can also attest to the fact that launching into a diatribe about how lousy most cocktails are these days also doesn't go over very well.

So what do y'all say to the heathen when they're over the house and don't know about your cocktail jones? How do you delicately and invitingly slide that monkey onto their back?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

You travel in better circles than I, doc. If I did that, I'm afraid I'd get requests for screwdrivers, man.

Let me give you an example. I was visiting some family a while back, and as I toiled over a few dozen limes to make margaritas, a cousin asked, "Why are you going to all the trouble? Just use the mix!" I admit to being utterly stymied.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

You travel in better circles than I, doc. If I did that, I'm afraid I'd get requests for screwdrivers, man.

Let me give you an example. I was visiting some family a while back, and as I toiled over a few dozen limes to make margaritas, a cousin asked, "Why are you going to all the trouble? Just use the mix!" I admit to being utterly stymied.

As Nike said, "Just do it." Don't ask, don't tell. Make the cocktail of your choiuce and hand it out. Everyone will be amazed and thankful that you saved them from having to make a choice.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Depending on your guests, pick a drink that's suitable to their level of openness. Margaritas are a pretty good option, especially for cocktail novices (and if made well, they won't offend more sophisticated drinkers -- I called the Margarita the universal donor of drinks). If your guests are a little more adventurous, you might try a Pegu Club.

Have the first batch of drinks ready to shake when your guests arrive. Add the ice, shake away, and say, "Who wants a Pegu Club (or whatever your choice is)?" Ignore any inquiries as to what's in it -- if you tell them, someone's bound to say, "Oh, I hate gin" or "I can't drink gin -- it makes me crazy!" Just say, "It's the signature drink at one of the hottest cocktail lounges in Manhattan." If they look dubious, tell them it's "kind of like a Cosmopolitan, but much better" and pour them a small drink. (Of course, if they really don't want a drink at all, don't force the issue. That's why you have club soda or tonic).

The point is not to give them a choice about what they drink. After they've tried it, you can offer something else, if you like.

I've found you can do this with most moderately accessible drinks -- I wouldn't try Negronis, Sazeracs or Monkey Glands, or anything with Chartreuse in it.

If you've read the Daily Gullet piece titled "Hooch"

So what do y'all say to the heathen when they're over the house and don't know about your cocktail jones? How do you delicately and invitingly slide that monkey onto their back?

Say something like: I'm serving two cocktails tonight and describe them. Take drink orders.Do not bore guests with an ingredient list and details about muddling, swizzling, infusing etc. unless they ask. Have some beer and wine around just in case your beautifully crafted poison isn't another man's meat.

And please don't demonize lowlife like me, who prefer to taste their hooch with no more than two added ingredients, say soda water or an olive. :smile:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

If you do end up serving a gin based cocktail to people who don't like gin, just call it a juniper infused vodka based drink.

:biggrin:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Call me old fashioned, but I just make whatever my guests ask for. I would never presume to decide ahead on cocktails and assume they should drink them. Of course, I have a fairly well stocked bar and a bartender background, (plus several mixology books to help me out in a pinch!).

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Call me old fashioned, but I just make whatever my guests ask for.  I would never presume to decide ahead on cocktails and assume they should drink them.  Of course, I have a fairly well stocked bar and a bartender background, (plus several mixology books to help me out in a pinch!).

Do you let them choose what you will feed them? Why is this any different? :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Call me old fashioned, but I just make whatever my guests ask for.  I would never presume to decide ahead on cocktails and assume they should drink them.  Of course, I have a fairly well stocked bar and a bartender background, (plus several mixology books to help me out in a pinch!).

Do you let them choose what you will feed them? Why is this any different? :smile:

Because cooking is different. (although I've been known to ask what my guests might like to eat.)Often, I start to cook hours, somedays days before guests arrive. Cocktails are a la minute and therefore can and should be made to order. :raz:

Marlene

. . . .

Depending on your guests, pick a drink that's suitable to their level of openness.

. . . .

If they look dubious, tell them it's "kind of like a Cosmopolitan, but much better" and pour them a small drink. (Of course, if they really don't want a drink at all, don't force the issue. That's why you have club soda or tonic).

. . . .

To start, I'd offer them something not like a Cosmopolitan, but a Cosmopolitan itself, made with gin:

1.5 ounces gin

1.0 ounces triple sec

0.5 ounces lime juice

1 t cranberry juice

Tell them it's the real version (it ought to be). But most people are going to like the Cosmo, because made this way, it's a decent drink. Now look at the recipe. Substitute bitters for the cranberry, and you've got a Pegu Club. Substitute tequila for the gin (well, bump it to two ounces), and you have a Margarita. Substitute rum for gin and simple syrup (down to 1/4 ounce) for the triple sec , and you've got a Daiquiri.

Another (or parallel) tactic, for drinkers who don't want to stray from bourbon or Scotch, is to offer them a Fancy Free or a decent (probably for the first time in thier life) Whiskey Sour or Manhattan. Don't be afraid to use rye.

. . . .

And please don't demonize lowlife like me, who prefer to taste their hooch with no more than two added ingredients, say soda water or an olive. :smile:

No, never demonize the lowlife you've invited! Seriously. But I think some give-and-take has to be exercised. People you've invited for the evening should be receptive to the experience, including trying a new drink. On the other hand, you're obligated to their comfort. If they really aren't happy without a highball or a Bud Light, be a good host and give them one.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

themes have always worked well for me. chinese food and mai tais, for a simple example. It's like pairing the wine and food. Makie a connection between the hors d'ouevres and cocktails. of course all of my friends are restaurant people, so maybe I have an adavantage.

Sometimes we choose a drink and just ask guests if they'd like one of the "whatever" we are serving this evening. A lot of friends love this and look forward to seeing what the special of the night will be when we entertain. If a guest tastes and doesn't like, we quickly remove the offending libation and whip up the drink of their choice. We also have a house drink menu to help and inspire those who might just need a good suggestion. It lists 20 drinks and the ingredients. It's been a big hit and includes gin, vodka, bourbon, brandy and rum drinks. When a guest enjoyed their Bourbon Crusta and was trying to pick another bourbon drink, we suggested a Stiletto. People really seem to enjoy trying something new and a lot a our friends are becoming gin and bourbon fans.

KathyM

Behind the bar I "sell" my drinks with enthusiasm. You need to do the same when you have guests over. Come up with one cocktail (don't offer choices to start) and then talk about it like it's the best thing since rum and coke. Talk about where or how you came up with the drink. Curiosity always kills the cat.

Then you need to deliver something that will appeal to them. If you serve a classic daiquiri with just rum, lime and a sugar rim you may be met with the"it's ok" and then the next day you may find a dead plant, smelling of rum, in your living room. Introduce them slowly, don't launch them into the cocktail world. Classic Singapore Slings and a real Mojito are great introductions. Partially because they are popular, but can be made so much better than most clubs / restaurants.

Don't be afraid to teach them, especially when they make statements like the one about the lime premix. I use analogies at the bar, for example this is what I say to a wine drinker who scoffs at hand squeezing limes into cocktails: "So if I fermented some grape koolaid, would you call that a good wine?" It gets a smile and makes a solid point.

As their palate opens up, they'll start requesting more unique drinks.

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

We've only had one instance where a guest hated the cocktail we decided to serve and asked for a sour apple martini instead. :wacko: Most folks are willing to try something new and seem to like knowing we will always be ready to serve something they haven't tried before.

KathyM

I have a well stocked bar, too, and sure I could make most just about any drink a guest could choose.

However, I find most don't know what to ask for, when confronted with that question.

So, lately, I've been printing up cocktail menus with descriptions of a few "featured" drinks. So far this has gone well. Also guarantees I can have the ingredients on hand in appropriate quantities for at least those drinks.

I've never been a bartender, so I do like to know I can make a drink well before a guest asks for it. If I have a menu, I can practise those drinks before the guests arrive.

Entertaining this summer, the most popular have been Sazeracs, Floridita Daiquiris, and Rathbone Sours (note read next post down, as recipe should have lemon).

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'm liking the drink list idea, and wondering if something along the lines of this might work: "If you like to drink an X, you might like this Y," with a brief description.

I think that's a great idea. It gives your guests some idea of what to expect or to avoid.

KathyM

Whenever I have a dinner party or some such thing, I'll just make whatever I think might be an interesting cocktail -- the same cocktail for everyone. Needless to say, if I know that one of them is a huge fan of gin I might make a gin cocktail, or if one is a Manhattan drinker I might make a Red Hook, or if one is a Cosmo drinker I might make something like a Juniperotivo.

If I get someone who says, "I really don't like anything other than vodka Gimlets" I'll usually ask them to give my cocktail a try, but reassure them that they don't have to finish it and that I'll be happy to make them a vodka Gimlet if they don't like it. After a while, if it turns out to be the case that that one friend really does only like vodka Gimlets, I'll just make her a vodka Gimlet and thank God that the only cocktail she likes doesn't have nine ingredients.

--

Some of my friends have regular parties devoted to one drink. To avoid offending anyone, they make it clear that other beverages will be available, but for the most part, everyone ends up at least trying the "new" drink. So far my favorite was the Ramos Gin Fizz party. The hook was that you could burn off all the calories from the hors d'oeuvres by shaking the bejeezus out of your drink. :laugh: I think the trick is to make it fun.

-L

I have a well stocked bar, too, and sure I could make most just about any drink a guest could choose.

However, I find most don't know what to ask for, when confronted with that question.

So, lately, I've been printing up cocktail menus with descriptions of a few "featured" drinks. So far this has gone well. Also guarantees I can have the ingredients on hand in appropriate quantities for at least those drinks.

I've never been a bartender, so I do like to know I can make a drink well before a guest asks for it. If I have a menu, I can practise those drinks before the guests arrive.

Entertaining this summer, the most popular have been Sazeracs, Floridita Daiquiris, and Rathbone Sours (note read next post down, as recipe should have lemon).

Ok, I could get behind this idea, and the concept of wanting to test drive the making of the drinks is sound. It's been a long long time since I was a bartender!

Marlene

I just took the plunge with friends coming over for dinner tonight for a Chinese meal: sticky rice (naw mai fon), Chinese broccoli, and a tomato beef dish by Grace Young. That menu opens up a lot of cocktail possibilities.

So, I called them and just said, "So I'm deep into my cocktail enthusiasm and would love to make you something. I thought I'd ask what you like." And she said, "I've loved every cocktail I've ever had. The one martini I've had was fantastic."

Well that opens the door! I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but this seems like an auspicious beginning.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Went with a Corpse Reviver #2, which was a hit.

Awesome choice! I had one of those myself last night, followed by a Fay Rye cocktail.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin