• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Show Us Your Ladles!

Chris Amirault

Thanks.

I have some high temperature epoxy. It seems to have worked for a few years.

dcarch

You seem to be a pretty handy fellow, and apparently have a supply of tools and the space to make some of the projects you've shown us. Good for you!

... Shel

How do yinz feel about ladles that have a pouring spout? I myself generally hate them, because I'm left-handed but my husband is a righty. I get frustrated by ladles that have a pouring spout on the right-handed side, but nothing on the left-handed side, because they generally seem to drip and slop more than the ones that don't have any spout. I notice that the ones pictured above all are spout-free!

MelissaH

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

i finally got around to getting a ladle that was 'dripless' the kind w the partially turned over rim.

Id been wanting one for a while, Cuisi-Pro has nice ones but no longer at BB&B. hard to tell the size you want without seeing them.

I was at Sur la Table a few weeks ago for no reason, just nosing around and they had at least 6 different sizes and i got this one:

Ladle.jpg

this one is '6 oz.' it was 18 + bucks but they had a sale and I got it for at least 20 % off.

Im pleased I resisted getting a few more.

How do yinz feel about ladles that have a pouring spout? I myself generally hate them, because I'm left-handed but my husband is a righty. I get frustrated by ladles that have a pouring spout on the right-handed side, but nothing on the left-handed side, because they generally seem to drip and slop more than the ones that don't have any spout. I notice that the ones pictured above all are spout-free!

MelissaH

Most of my ladles are spout free but somewhere I have one that has a sort of triangular shape - advertised as handy to get the very last bits from the bottom of a pan - which pours from either side or even off the front. I took a cursory look at the ladles that are hanging and don't see it so it may be put away as from time to time I swap out various pieces and store the overflow.

I've found that they all drip, some more than others, so I generally have a paper towel pad handy.

For ladling into mugs, deep bowls or other vessels for direct servings, I use a canning funnel because it looks neater. I taught this technique to a friend who owns a bakery/cafe and serves a lot of soups in the large "latte" mugs or cups and he says it is so much easier and takes less time than having to wipe the rims of the cups - and he has extended it for dishing up stews and chilies in the wider, shallower soup bowls. No drips!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Like phatj, I keep reading this topic as "Show us your ladies". I keep glancing at it and having a WTF? moment before remembering. :laugh: No pictures, but I have an assortment and don't have issues with any of them. Some are 'good' ones and others are $ store ladles. Some metal and others some form of plastic. Lucky, I guess.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I love non-stick cookware, therefore I shy away from metal utensils. I've tried nylon/plastic/wood and what I like best is silicone. I have a silicone ladle that has a metal basket encapsulated in silicone - ridgity (sp)?, easy clean,non-stick and some degree of flexibility.

As an aside, I suggest staying with metal or wood handles if you tend to leave your utensil in the pot while you are cooking - I've found that otherwise they may melt at the rim of the pot due to the heat of the pot,not the food (especially with gas!)

p