• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metro 8 Steakhouse, Durham NC

BryanZ

Just thought I'd start this. They'll be opening on the 12th if all goes according to plan. I'm not sure how significant this place we be, but it is nice to see some higher-end dining on 9th Street.

I walked in today to see how the room was shaping up and it seemed alright, if a little smaller than I expected. I don't want to pass any premature judgement, so I won't say anything further.

Supposedly the space is now owned by a South American couple, possibly hinting at a South American style steakhouse (though not in the rodizio style).

I'll try to get more info. in the coming days.

• 1 year later...

We ate at Metro 8 this weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. The food, portions, service, and price were all excellent. I agree that it seemed a bit small or narrow, but we never felt cramped.

I'm curious why there isn't more chatter about it here? It's right down the street from Magnolia Grill so it can't be a location problem.

I'm curious why there isn't more chatter about it here? It's right down the street from Magnolia Grill so it can't be a location problem.

Well first off, there isn't a whole lot of chatter here to begin with! However, I do think it's in a location that's a) easy to miss and b) a good deal fancier than its neighbors, so perhaps it's not the greatest location for what it is? I've seen it, but never stopped there... I'm rarely fit for fancy when walking down Ninth St, and it feels fancy.

What did you have aldamon?

Alison

What did you have aldamon?

Appetizers

Spinach Artichoke Dip with Tortilla Chips

(1) House Salad

Complimentary Bread Basket

Entrees

Rib-eye Special with Sauteed Broccolini (can't remember exact size but slightly smaller than their 28 oz "Cowboy Rib-eye")

8 oz Filet Mignon with Sauteed Asparagus (and a surprise portion of greens)

Dessert

Chocolate Souffle

Drinks

(2) Sodas

(2) Coffees

Total before tip: ~$82.20 with tax

Not bad at all for quite a bit of quality food on a special occasion (my wife passed her National Boards for teaching..Woohoo!). We were pretty stuffed. I don't have the kind of knowledge/memory for ingredients as some of the folks here but we were pleased with everything served. I think next time we'll be a little more adventurous with the appetizers. My wife loves spinach and artichoke dip but there are better choices for sure.

Edited by aldamon (log)