• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosh Hashana

Stone

Y'all will understand. (No. I'm not from the south.) This thread is the perfect (and only) place to vent. This afternoon was spent cleaning, scrubbing, vacuuming, and doing all sorts of otherwise avoided chores so my home is fit for Rosh Hashana.

Wednesday, twenty or so people will be here for dinner (no final numbers yet, but that's close enough for now). I have most of my ingredients, but still haven't decided exactly how I'll prepare it all. That is, I have chicken, salmon, beets, carrots, lemons, honey, apples; watermelon...watermelon? you say? Well yes, watermelon. I live in Colorado, and there's no way I'm passing up a Rocky Ford watermelon. Tuesday, I'll pick up the green vegetables, and whatever else I still need. My cousin's husband, who works in a local bakery, is bringing the challah; my guests are all bringing the wine. Oh yes, I also have rice, potatoes, cous-cous; don't know which I'll use, but I'm veering towards rice. Guests includes vegetarians, who know they can eat anything on the table that is not visibly chicken or fish.

My daughter is responsible for the table set-up. Unfortunately, it involves moving furniture. Our everyday arrangement does not allow for seating twenty people at the table. Fortunately, with re-arranging and moving furniture, we can have everyone seated at the table, and use all the good china etc. Every year, I consider using paper plates, but then I hear the calls of "tradition". As I said before, unfortunately, we have to move furniture...

I've just seen a recipe for honey cake that includes finely chopped candied ginger as an optional ingredient. My daughter loves candied ginger, so of course I'm going to try the recipe. But I have to also make the honey cake I always make (it's the honey cake my mother and my grandmother made), just in case the new honey cake isn't so good...

The possible menu so far...

Apples and Challah with honey

Salmon, roasted with honey, pepper, chile

Chicken with lemon, garlic, rosemary (from my garden)

Roasted beets and carrots, Moroccan-ish

Rice pilaf with saffron

Unknown green vegetables

Honey cake(s)

Watermelon

I consider frizzled leeks, wondering if they might reduce the chance of frazzled host.

edit to add: No soup for us. Unless I get ambitious, then I might make a cold soup of some sort or other.

Edited by afoodnut (log)

Take deep breaths. In-Out. In-Out. Are you getting relaxed yet? You're going to have a great dinner. And the menu sounds fantastic.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

There is a bit of discussion about challah recipes in the Baking with Julia thread.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=35047&st=0 

Welcome to eGullet.

For what it's worth, the Lauren Groveman Challah recipe from the Baking with Julia Book is my standard challah recipe. Note that it includes butter and milk for a really yummy taste but, I have made it before using mocha mix and margarine and it's still great. I have a batch in the fridge as we speak for the first rise. Tomorrow I will divide in half and knead golden raisins into one.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

There is a bit of discussion about challah recipes in the Baking with Julia thread.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=35047&st=0 

Welcome to eGullet.

For what it's worth, the Lauren Groveman Challah recipe from the Baking with Julia Book is my standard challah recipe. Note that it includes butter and milk for a really yummy taste but, I have made it before using mocha mix and margarine and it's still great. I have a batch in the fridge as we speak for the first rise. Tomorrow I will divide in half and knead golden raisins into one.

From everything I'm reading this challah recipe from "Baking with Julia" sounds Fabulous. Would someone mind posting it for me or sending it to me via PM? I would go out to buy the book, however have gone seriously in debt paying for my culinary education and supplies :wink: , so would appreciate any help possible.... I can't wait to try it!

Would someone mind posting it for me or sending it to me via PM?  I would go out to buy the book, however have gone seriously in debt paying for my culinary education and supplies  :wink: , so would appreciate any help possible.... I can't wait to try it!

This available for only $13.25 in used, but good, condition from Amazon:

Baking With Julia: Based on the Pbs Series Hosted by Julia Child

by Dorie Greenspan (Author)

Edition: Hardcover

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Take deep breaths.  In-Out.  In-Out.  Are you getting relaxed yet?  You're going to have a great dinner.  And the menu sounds fantastic.

Thanks, I needed that. You're right, of course. Now that the housekeeping chores are done, I'm up to the fun part. I'm pondering the dish that gives the vegetarians among us a "main course," and the rest of us another tasty bit. I'm leaning towards some spicy chick peas with tomatoes, but if anyone has some other interesting ideas, I'd love to hear them. (Note: that dish must be pareve, as our menu includes chicken. We're not by any stretch of the imagination kosher, but for observing holidays I wouldn't dream of violating kashruth rules. Interesting, but probably a topic for another thread.)

For the vegetarians, what about doing a vegetable strudel of some sort?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

This afternoon I finished my apple souffle. As I type, my carrot-pear-ginger soup is simmering happily. And since I never got around to making the veal stock last week, the veal bones a cooling after roasting (I'll put the stock up in the morning). I made chilled yellow tomato soup over the weekend. And have 2 sorbets (concord grape and nectarine-basil) sitting in the freezer. Plus, we just got invited out for another meal.

Tomorrow I pick up my meat order which means a lot more cooking.

The brisket is sitting in the fridge soaking up even more flavor from the "juices." Tonight I de-fat and slice. Challah dough is back in the fridge for 2nd rise in two bowls (one has raisins). Tonight I shape and either bake tonight or early, early tomorrow morning. Tonight I also set the table. Tomorrow, the caramel-apple upside down cake. The caramel base is already in the fridge.

We are going to a friend's house this year and I am making chicken with apricots, figs and dates with pomegranate molasses, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Before serving, I am going to sprinkle it with pomegranate seeds. It will be served over couscous.

Shana Tova Everyone!!!

Is it possible to get your carrot, pear, ginger soup recipe?  It sounds perfect to begin a brisket dinner!

I kind of winged this one. I chopped up some onion and ginger (about a 1 1/2 inch knob), cut up about 2 pounds of carrots into coins and diced 3 pears. Then sauteed the onion and ginger in olive oil until translucent, added the carrots and pears and sauteed for about 5 more minutes and then added 3 cups of vegetable stock and 3 cups water. I also made a sachet with cinnamon stick, cloves, and corriander and threw that in as well. Brought the whole thing up to a boil and reduced to a simmer for about 30 minutes. Then pureed using an immersion blender. I needed to add some additional water to thin it out some more.

I have a lot of orange colored soup in my freezer. Fortunately, I remembered to label each container.

I kind of winged this one. 

Bloviatrix, your "winging it" is about a zillion times more elaborate and well conceived than what many people consider cooking! Your foods always sound terrific and I can taste them "virtually" through my monitor ... "vicariously" was the old pre-cyberage term, if memory serves me correctly! :hmmm: and it doesn't always ...

Finished today for tomorrow's holiday: Golden Chicken soup, parsley-flecked fluffy matzo balls bobbing gaily up and down in the pot, my Trader Joe's West Coast Tzimmes ... yeah, go ahead and ask me for the recipe ... oh yes, the cooking :wink: .. garlic-parsley olive oil dressing for the Twin Hearts Salad ... slicing up the cured 4 pounds of gravlax and making a festive and pretty platter for my brother's holiday table ... tonight? Making my moist and divine Jewish apple cake in a bundt pan ...

tomorrow I will roast my turkey, make a sausage/onion/bell pepper and cornbread stuffing, final touches on vegetable dishes, challahs and wine are ready ..Costco for the 2 dozen rose special ($12.99!) ... and finish everything else up as well ... and it is my Mom's 93rd birthday on Rosh Hashonah this year as well! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Finished today for tomorrow's holiday: Golden Chicken soup, parsley-flecked fluffy matzo balls bobbing gaily up and down in the pot, my Trader Joe's West Coast Tzimmes ... yeah, go ahead and ask me for the recipe ... oh yes, the cooking  :wink: .. garlic-parsley olive oil dressing for the Twin Hearts Salad ... slicing up the cured 4 pounds of gravlax and making a festive and pretty platter for my brother's holiday table ... tonight? Making my moist and divine Jewish apple cake in a bundt pan ...

tomorrow I will roast my turkey, make a sausage/onion/bell pepper and cornbread stuffing, final touches on vegetable dishes, challahs and wine are ready ..Costco for the 2 dozen rose special ($12.99!) ... and finish everything else up as well ... and it is my Mom's 93rd birthday on Rosh Hashonah this year as well! :biggrin:

Um, can I lick my screen now? :raz: A very Happy Birthday, and Mazel Tov to your mom; I hope for many more birthdays for her!

A wonderful Holiday to all my eGullet friends who are celebrating. Happy New Year!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Bloviatrix, your "winging it" is about a zillion times more elaborate and well conceived than what many people consider cooking! Your foods always sound terrific and I can taste them "virtually" through my monitor ... "vicariously" was the old pre-cyberage term, if memory serves me correctly! :hmmm: and it doesn't always ...

Thanks for the compliment GG. Culinary Artistry is the answer to all winging. When in doubt, just check the lists of flavor buddies. I accidentally mis-shelved my copy last week and when I couldn't find in on sunday you would have thought the world was coming to an end -- that's how much I depend on it. :laugh:

I just want to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and healthy New Year. It's terrible - but I had forgotten about it almost completely. Between my FIL's cancer surgery 3 weeks ago - the hurricanes - and the doctor's appointments this week for the new cancer appearances for my FIL - well this isn't the best holiday week I've ever had! But I hope all of yours are better. And I will read this thread and perhaps make a belated New Year's meal in a couple of weeks (better late than never <sigh>). Better yet - I will do a combo New Year's/Thanksgiving meal - because I'll be having a ton of family visiting. Sounds like a weird idea - but I hate to miss making my favorite New Year's dishes. Robyn

I have now gotten it in my head that it would be fun to do a meal with an apple theme -- apples in every course.  Am I making too much work for myself?  If you see a thread in the Cooking section for apple suggestions, that's me. :laugh:

It's probably too late for an apple recipe for the New Year. But if you'd like a wonderful sweet potato/apple recipe for Thanksgiving or some other holiday - I'd be glad to share it. Robyn

I just want to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and healthy New Year.  It's terrible - but I had forgotten about it almost completely.  Between my FIL's cancer surgery 3 weeks ago - the hurricanes - and the doctor's appointments this week for the new cancer appearances for my FIL - well this isn't the best holiday week I've ever had!  But I hope all of yours are better.  And I will read this thread and perhaps make a belated New Year's meal in a couple of weeks (better late than never <sigh>).  Better yet - I will do a combo New Year's/Thanksgiving meal - because I'll be having a ton of family visiting.  Sounds like a weird idea - but I hate to miss making my favorite New Year's dishes.  Robyn

Hey Robyn, while the food is great, it's not about the food. Shanah Tovah to you and your family. Could we all say a Mishah Berach for Robyn, her FIL, the folks in Florida and everyone else in need of it?

Hey Robyn, while the food is great, it's not about the food.  Shanah Tovah to you and your family.  Could we all say a Mishah Berach for Robyn, her FIL, the folks in Florida and everyone else in need of it?

You know - that really brought some tears to my eyes. If I hadn't read this thread - we would have walked into the nursing home to pick up my FIL to go to the doctor tomorrow - and only then would I have realized it was erev Rosh Hashanah (although my FIL isn't Jewish - he's in a Jewish nursing home - and they would be setting up for holiday services). I would have felt like a real dummy.

Anyway - big thanks. And the best to you and your family. And don't forget the people in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. I think a lot of people will need (and get) rabbinical dispensations tomorrow night. Robyn

Pardon me for being a bit self-indulgent, but my feel ache!!! And I'm exhausted. And in a repeat of last year I have yet to polish the silver and my candlesticks look awful. Plus, the apartment looks like Ivan passed through.

My coconut-orzo-pineapple kugel is in the oven (from Jayne Cohen's Gefillte Variations). Tomorrow I still have make the veal and brisket, plus the wild rice and orzo salad. And a flourless chocolate cake. It's at times like this I wish I had two ovens.

I just want to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and healthy New Year.  It's terrible - but I had forgotten about it almost completely.  Between my FIL's cancer surgery 3 weeks ago - the hurricanes - and the doctor's appointments this week for the new cancer appearances for my FIL - well this isn't the best holiday week I've ever had!  But I hope all of yours are better.  And I will read this thread and perhaps make a belated New Year's meal in a couple of weeks (better late than never <sigh>).  Better yet - I will do a combo New Year's/Thanksgiving meal - because I'll be having a ton of family visiting.  Sounds like a weird idea - but I hate to miss making my favorite New Year's dishes.  Robyn

We're not doing anything here either. My family is all in NY/CA and FL, and I didn't have the heart to do it on my own. :sad:

We're going to FL though to meet up with nearly everyone in 2 weeks for my grandfather's 90th, so maybe we'll do a belated celebration.

Happy New Year everyone!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Danielle - I know how you feel. I've been cooking since the weekend (because I need to); I had expected 3 guests tonight and 4 tomorrow. Well, at 10:30 last night, one person called to say she and her husband wouldn't be coming (and not for a very good reason), so tonight its just me and my husband (who isn't Jewish) and one guest. I know quality is more important than quantity, but I just wanted to say I read your post and know how you feel - my family is also far away and at times like this I miss them, too.

L'Shana Tovah to you!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food