• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosh Hashana

Stone

19 hours ago, weinoo said:

Not that I remember my ancestors from Russia/Poland ever making kreplach, though I could be misremembering.

I'm only half, on my mother's side (also Russian), but we didn't grow up making them either. I always thought it was because she hated them. I was going to try to make them this weekend though. Just to change it up a bit. My son loves tortellini, so maybe he'll like these. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ambra said:

I'm only half, on my mother's side (also Russian), but we didn't grow up making them either. I always thought it was because she hated them. I was going to try to make them this weekend though. Just to change it up a bit. My son loves tortellini, so maybe he'll like these. 

No reason he shouldn't!  Please let us know what your filling consists of.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, ambra said:

I'm on the fence! Any suggestions welcome. 😃

For soup or not for soup? :) (For soup we stick with meat/onions/potato) but just to eat on their own, browned in butter and served with sour cream? Well, you could go so many ways.. )   

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 4:40 PM, Pam R said:

For soup or not for soup? :) (For soup we stick with meat/onions/potato) but just to eat on their own, browned in butter and served with sour cream? Well, you could go so many ways.. )   

Pam R, that's exactly what I ended up with. I know it looks a bit too much like a lone tortellino, but the filling certainly isn't. 😋

7FF28727-1C72-419D-8F3B-673A12A7C024.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I had tsimmes earlier this week.  Even though this one was weak it seemed like there was a lot of potential.

As far as I could tell there were sweet potatoes, carrots, prunes and apricots...probably honey and a bit of cinnamon.

I'd have added some chipotle at least.

Any tsimme tips?