• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosh Hashana

Stone

• 11 months later...

I just realized that Rosh Hashana is less than 2 weeks away. What are you planning?

Does anybody do big lunches or just dinners? If so, anything different being served for lunch?

• 2 weeks later...

deensiebat, I'm so glad you tried and liked them. They look perfect -- I love that dough recipe.

In the end I went to family for both dinners. When I was a kid we always had big lunches -- my grandparents lived across the street from the synagogue and everybody would gather there after morning services. Now, we only do dinners. So while I didn't cook anything (at home -- lots of cooking going on at work), I was still lucky enough to have chicken soup, brisket, turkey, chicken, brisket, cabbage rolls, knishes, kasha, chicken soup, honey cake and much more.

Though today isn't officially Rosh Hashana (and is actually a fast day), I just mixed up a yeast dough and will fill it with apples, cinnamon and honey, then roll and bake it tonight as a Rosh Hashana treat. I like to think of the whole week between RH and Yom Kippur as a holiday. :wink:

• 11 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Rosh Hashanah dinner with friends (they hosted with a combo of cooked from scratch, bought, cooked from box dishes).  Brisket was home made and delicious.  Balducci was involved.  Manischewitz was definitely involved.  The company was great.

EDC80D1E-2E24-4565-AE93-A0180DBFCAE7.thumb.jpeg.ffd53c691b5aaa3040be1c44138a16fd.jpeg

5E6BBB29-1571-40DB-8799-2A2856579B93.thumb.jpeg.3f625077ee24d624bc29cfc43173157c.jpeg

84873BAC-B477-4513-9F03-0932FC36E3D2.thumb.jpeg.d1f0068948015884faefe4a3066a4809.jpeg

33B07756-D73B-42CA-87A0-063D86F583AF.thumb.jpeg.144c91c117bf5f693ee91cfb09b4ac6c.jpeg

D89A7DE3-879F-4AFD-AE99-71A699C6CD75.thumb.jpeg.c3c14bc3efe9e84287a54f0c2e801cbd.jpeg

E2DD46B3-C5D0-483E-AE99-1A7402A15F49.thumb.jpeg.5940feb93169353a7d2407bd28076c9d.jpeg

77C57EEE-9AF5-4F26-9573-20315AAFB30D.thumb.jpeg.22ebc59782ae4f70e4d203f718b4b263.jpeg

B4F5DF9F-B439-48F2-96C7-73B67CB0DBA2.thumb.jpeg.94321149829edc0ff3e122a880cd1830.jpeg

F2713345-2C52-423E-AB6D-BB8C9DE29F9A.thumb.jpeg.9a26ac2c09e17e174907f6b869076c33.jpeg

2D89E562-F7AD-4062-B891-D3A4173B093D.thumb.jpeg.4c5b03cf7bb545c7add9a50fa4b504e9.jpeg

1E2CF104-442B-4459-8D53-136803437D89.thumb.jpeg.7ec521cec48e852c9f129eac87708786.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I wound up hosting unexpectedly, Mom found out she had a fractured foot on Friday. She directed Dad on making brisket on Saturday, chicken on Sunday, and brought them to my house...brisket sliced in her crock pot for transport and reheat. I made a simple salad heavy on the radiccio, garnished with some orange sections. Tahini-maple dressing. Challah. Steamed green beans with butter and everything bagel seasoning. Noodle kugel made with dried apricots and ricotta (everyone agreed it was better than cottage cheese). Uncle brought chocolate babka and rainbow cookies (Jewish/Italian bakery!). 

• Like 8

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Had a small holiday dinner this year. We hosted just my parents.

Challah.

Moroccan carrot salad (cooked carrots, paprika, cumin, caraway, olives, parsley, garlic, olive oil).

Georgian style green beans, with eggs, cream and feta, walnuts.

Roast beef.

Plenty of wine.

Apples with honey for dessert.

IMG_20190929_200459.jpg

IMG_20190929_201141.jpg

IMG_20190929_202608.jpg

IMG_20190929_202853.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

• 11 months later...

We're only a week away to the beginning of a new year (thank G-d -- I'm done with this year!). 

What are your plans?  Depending on where you live, I'm sure Rosh Hashana will be different for most of us this year.  Personally, it will only be immediate family at the dinner table, but my mother and I will be cooking a bunch of food in the next week and dropping it off to family and friends.

So far we'll be making dozens and dozens of my (infamous??)  meat kreplach and potato and onion vernekes (using the dough from the kreplach recipe and the filling from the knish recipe). (I've had a couple of requests for potato knishes so I will try to make some if I have time). 

Soup is made and in the freezer,  round challot will be baked for my table and to be dropped off for my aunts and uncles.  I am thinking about a plum cake and make an apple/honey cake. . . maybe a regular honey cake.

I have a brisket in the freezer, just not sure what I want to do with it.  I just keep thinking 'something different'.  There are Cornish hens and a package of lamb stew meat that I bought accidentally but I think might be made into some sort of tagine-like dish with dried fruits. 

I think the big difference this year is that instead of a big table with lots of people and at least two meat dishes per meal, we'll have a small table and probably one 'main' for each meal.

What are your plans? 🍎🍯

• Like 5

Looking forward to your posts. I put on FB that I am adopting the customs this year as reflection and re-start can not wait until Jan  1  Perhaps more reflective than usual as today is 9/11

See also Honey Cake posts in the Fruitcake topic  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/11367-the-fruitcake-topic/?do=findComment&comment=2263885

• Like 3

After saying a week ago that she though she'd skip it this year, Mom texted me to ask if my husband and I would want to come to their house, so it will just be 4 of us, spaced around the dining room table. My sister and BIL are not included because I won't spend time in a confined area with him, he's exposed to many people at work and I don't believe he's careful enough. To paraphrase @weinoo, an unintended benefit.

As far as food, I'm tasked with noodle kugel. Mom will probably make a small brisket and some chicken breasts since I don't eat beef.

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

THANKSGIVING!   2020 = roast chicken for 2.

This is possibly the saddest holiday of all this year, as we generally travel the weeks of or around Thanksgiving.  Now I have no idea, and we eat so much chicken...

Lobsters for 2?

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

45 minutes ago, weinoo said:

This is possibly the saddest holiday of all this year, as we generally travel the weeks of or around Thanksgiving.  Now I have no idea, and we eat so much chicken...

Lobsters for 2?

We used to go to Chinatown for T-giving for peking duck or a 2 lobsters for $20 deal... unfortunately my fave, Yee Li, is no longer...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Lobsters for 2?

That's actually a good plan.    Husband has put a moratorium on chicken which I just ignore 99% of the time.   I mea, there's only so many choices, so chicken goes into the rotation.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

We used to go to Chinatown for T-giving for peking duck or a 2 lobsters for $20 deal... unfortunately my fave, Yee Li, is no longer...

But Wu's is still hanging in there! And I always was fond of the Peking duck at Peking Duck House.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

24 minutes ago, weinoo said:

But Wu's is still hanging in there! And I always was fond of the Peking duck at Peking Duck House.

Peking Duck House is good - especially if you plan to BYO... we've had some great wine dinners there.  But comparatively, it's more expensive than Yi Lee was - that place was a bargain - plus, I really liked how they served it with steamed bao and came out with the meat from the carcass in a stir fry as a second course when you got the whole duck. I've never seen PDH do that and ahve always wondered what they've done with all that duck meat that is still on teh carcass after they're done carving.  To tell the truth, I don't think I've ever been to Wu's - but I should since it seems like they serve the duck with bao also.. - do they do the second course thing?

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

THANKSGIVING!   2020 = roast chicken for 2.

I have friends who will get the turkey breast from Costco instead of a whole bird. No thighs or drumsticks...but no bones either. It comes fully cooked. You can heat it up, or just open the package and slice it for sandwiches.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I've never seen PDH do that and ahve always wondered what they've done with all that duck meat that is still on teh carcass after they're done carving.  To tell the truth, I don't think I've ever been to Wu's - but I should since it seems like they serve the duck with bao also.. - do they do the second course thing?

Family meal?

Actually, I always asked for the carcass at PDH, and they always complied; made for a nice duck soup at home.

I don't think they do the stir fry at Wu's, but once again, I doubt they'd have an issue with anyone taking home the duck carcass after they're done carving.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

This year I'm really on the fence about what to cook. I'm looking for something new and exciting. It's always just the three of us since I know no others who celebrate around me. Last year I made something I had never made: Chicken with prunes and apricots (everyone loved it). 

The only thing I've decided for this year so far is roasted beet salad probably with goat cheese and a honey apple cake though haven't decided which recipe yet. 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, weinoo said:

Lobsters for 2?

Ever sous vide turkey?

• Like 2