• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: FabulousFoodBabe - Of Queens and Former Presidents

I wanna know about that LOOOONNNNGGG sink.    How wide & deep is it?  Looks like you coulda bathed Bob in it.

Ahhh, the sink. I found a big deep one by Kohler or someone like that, for about $5K. My architects took that idea and are having an integrated sink and counter for the entire cleanup/cooking side of the kitchen, for a little more than that -- including backsplash and the steel behind the range. The faucet will have to be from a company my husband does business with; it's German but I forget the name (not Franke; not a well-known name. What kind of Wifey am I, eh? :unsure: )

I'm also having a sink in the wet bar, and a hand sink near the range, with a foot-pedal instead of faucet-handles.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Okay, mates. It's been a hell of a day today. I should have had this for my coffee this morning:

gallery_28661_3538_27163.jpg

It's how I've felt all day! Whine!

We went for cocktails and I didn't bring my camera, but they were nicely done and the usual. Friday night has always been our pizza night, for as long as I can remember. When Dave and I were first married, I worked in advertising (and he, in marketing), and we traveled most days. We'd come home on Friday evenings and order pizza in, and watch "Miami Vice." Now, we order or I cook and because of the day today we ordered in.

Gorgonzola, mushrooms and caramelized onion ... rich. When I make something similar, I put capers on it to cut the richness, but the pizza place didn't have any (snif).

gallery_28661_3538_11678.jpg

The other we got was barbecue and fried onions, with a little cheddar. very, very nice.

gallery_28661_3538_33322.jpg

All is well here in Chappaqua. Some days it's hard to be queen, but still, here I am. This has been such fun for me -- and we've got one more day to go. See you tomorrow!

Night all,

Fabby.

PS -- I may sneak over and try to photograph Clinton's house, even though we aren't supposed to do it. :biggrin:

Hmmmm....

Cross MST3K and "$40 a Day with Rachel Ray"...

Mutant food-travel spawn of the demon seed?

Maybe.  It'd definitely be funnier than s**t.

I smell a possible new topic: "FN Shows Most Amenable to MST3K Treatment." (The challenge, of course, will be to keep it relevant to food and eGullet, as opposed to totally spinning off on quirks of the host, etc.). I personally don't have the bandwidth to start such a topic, but I'm not above inciting someone else ... :laugh:

I do it every day I can with Sandra Lee!

Hmmmm....

Cross MST3K and "$40 a Day with Rachel Ray"...

Mutant food-travel spawn of the demon seed?

Maybe.  It'd definitely be funnier than s**t.

I smell a possible new topic: "FN Shows Most Amenable to MST3K Treatment." (The challenge, of course, will be to keep it relevant to food and eGullet, as opposed to totally spinning off on quirks of the host, etc.). I personally don't have the bandwidth to start such a topic, but I'm not above inciting someone else ... :laugh:

I do it every day I can with Sandra Lee!

Ah, you stole mine!!!! She's too easy a target though, eh? How about Iron Chef Japan? Since they do voice over anyway, you can put your own text in :raz:

See Fabby, I told you I'd make time to catch up on your blog!!!!

The kitchen looks amazing, I can't wait to see the thread you are going to do to document the process....right?????

Boys. Oh hell, getting married sure opened my eyes on what boys think is funny and acceptable. I love the tip jar...with graphics even!

Um, I think you said you'd explain some on the kids diet? It appears they are carnivores and shun anything green?

The pup is the cutest thing evah (well, except for my kitty) and the visual I got with the "like walking a vaccuume cleaner" was priceless! I've never had a dog like that so this was news to me that they eat everything in sight...ugh, gross!!

Modesto???? I'm from San Jose, not too far off. And back when there were still orchards! (BTW, I love the pix of you on the other blog, finally a face to put with the shoes :biggrin: )

I told my son your squash theory -- he found it very amusing.  Here's what he wore to school today:

gallery_28661_3538_8375.jpg

He's got his mamma's snark!  :wub:

Oh yes, I knew there were other items of note (sue me, I don't know how to do multiple quotes yet!)

I have to have this shirt!!! I neeeeeeed this shirt to wear to my MIL's house...pleeeeeaaassssee where did you get it??? I saw one of the guys wearing it on Project Runway (oh sh*t, I just outed myself!!!) and almost died.

PS: Note to Fresser: you are the best kind of twisted there is! A joy and a pleasure to behold. Please can we get the story from you if Fabby won't tell it??? And were there pumps to be purchased to go with the hosiery? You know, like in the infamous pix??? You certainly make a ravishing woman. Um did I say ravishing? Well, striking, I think we can safely say you make a "striking" woman. :wub:

Genny

Ahh, the kitchen plan looks great! You did the right thing not rushing into your reno, its going to be really sunny and bright in there isn't it? I love the pass through, and everything else really, so open, and not that you'll ever sell, ever, but that kitchen has tons of entertainment potential.

Um, I think you said you'd explain some on the kids diet?  It appears they are carnivores and shun anything green? 

[snip snip ...]

Modesto???? I'm from San Jose, not too far off.  And back when there were still orchards!  (BTW, I love the pix of you on the other blog, finally a face to put with the shoes  :biggrin: )

Oh, the diet. It's sloooooowly evolving and it's all my fault, I swear.

We moved to Modesto when my oldest son was 2 weeks old. My second was born a couple of years later. I was one of those moms who made baby food for the kids when they started on solids; gradually, I would mill what we were having for dinner. I also felt that there were enough choices out there and so, for example, wouldn't force them to eat squash or spinach because they were loving carrots and broccoli. They used to eat pretty much what we gave them. And then my business took off.

I walked in the door one day after being in the kitchen since 5 a.m. for a breakfast catering, and my husband was feeding them Spaghetti-O's. The look on their faces was bliss and accusatory: "How could you keep this from us!???" They were 3 and 1 1/2 and it went downhill from there.

My husband's mother had a housekeeper, but she herself cooked for the family. She took Sunday dinners off, but cranked out hot meals for breakfast and dinner, six days a week. There were six in the family, and she relied heavily on packaged and prepared foods. Membership in the Clean Plate Club was mandatory.

My family, OTOH, was pretty poor, so we grew our vegetables and canned/froze for the winter. I do think my Italian grandfather, even if he owned the coal mine instead of mining the coal, would have had his own gardens. It gave him great pleasure. He died days before my first child was born.

My younger son is a gifted gardener/grower as well, but he won't eat the stuff he grows. He stopped eating vegetables when we left California. I used to find it adorable, because nothing will ever taste as good as the stuff we ate there, but then it got annoying. One pediatrician told me to feed him nothing but vegetables and eventually he'd cave. Well, I caved -- after three days of not eating. It's just not worth it. ('And to this day, he remembers that episode more than anything else from his childhood!) BTW, that was the first sign that something was going on with him; he's since been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. Not a full-on case, but the symptoms he does have are pretty strong. He has a hard time with textures, like potatoes, and still can't stand the smell of freshly-peeled oranges. He does love sushi and sashimi, but can't stand canned tuna.

My older son's palate has developed slowly. He's eaten more of a variety of vegetables as he's grown. A couple of years ago, his bio teacher did one of those taste-bud tests and he came out "super taster;" he triumphantly showed me the results as soon as I got home. He's a very lean kid and when he'd get teased for being skinny, I'd just tell him that one day he'll love it, and until then, he won't. now that he's going out with his friends more, he's eating a lot more and trying what I'm doing at home.

The attitude we've always had is, "stay very active, don't eat when you're not hungry, and go easy on the treats." It's worked for them; they don't eat to be polite or social. (My MIL's advice was to spank the younger child until he ate vegetables, and to force-feed the older so his stomach will stretch and he'll eat more." I told her I don't hit my children, but if she wanted to try to force-feed my son she could, as long as I got to watch! :laugh: ) Yes, I'm sure many will find this just horrifying. We don't do the Clean Plate club, either.

We've applied the same attitude toward travel and restaurants with them. They've both been flying since they were a few weeks old, and now can navigate the airports and customs as well as we can. I also took them to white-tablecloth restaurants, with an advance call to the place, early in the evenings every few weeks, to get them used to reading menus and ordering.

They can find just about anything they want at any restaurant, and I'm the table manners Nazi, too.

And on that note, I'm off to do some errands and food shopping. Photos when I return!

Ahh, the kitchen plan looks great!  You did the right thing not rushing into your reno, its going to be really sunny and bright in there isn't it?  I love the pass through, and everything else really, so open, and not that you'll ever sell, ever, but that kitchen has tons of entertainment potential.

Coquus, someone asked kind of offhandedly if I'd sell once it was done. I said, suuuure. But I'm not listing it with a realtor. I'm not doing showings, or dickering over prices, or going through contingencies or paying someone to do it. It'll be (insert a ridiculous price here), and that's that. Oh, and I won't move until my next house is ready!

:laugh: When I said this was the last move we'd 'have to' make, I meant it!

I've missed giving parties; I used to do a lot of it when Dave was in marketing. I'd always do all the food and hire helpers. We can start that up again.

The floorplan is terrific (love all those sinks!!!).  What surfaces are you thinking about for the cabinets, counters, etc.?

Cabinets will be cherry-wood. Countertops for the bar, the pass, and the Big Island will be dark grey Fireslate (in a thread on eG, we discussed this.). I chose it because I don't want seams, I do want something dark and stone-like, and I want something nice and thick. Honed granite was a consideration, but the Fireslate is less dense and about half the cost (I'm going with 1 3/4" thick).

Countertops for the cleanup area and prep areas, will be stainless, with a short backsplash. The rest of the backsplashes will be grey rock.

gallery_28661_3538_6016.jpg

The idea was to make as much of the materials 'flow' with the outdoors, and with the fireplace (which is big and faced in stone, too).

Your kitchen design might be the coolest one ever. I can't wait to see it when it's done! Sorry I dropped off yesterday: work was pretty busy. (I didn't even get to post my fish market photos yet!)

Where did you get that pizza? Looks good!

PS: Joe didn't smooch me, did he? I thought it was just a hug!

BTW, Hathor: I have been around lately and I didn't know what MST3K was until it was spelled out....

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

BTW, Hathor: I have been around lately and I didn't know what MST3K was until it was spelled out....

I feel better! Don't know how I missed this series...I love Grade B sci-fi. I think I know all the words to the theme song from "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". :laugh:

We moved from Chappaqua about three years ago, and the first thing I did when I saw your blog was search for pictures of Rocky's! Thank you!!! I am not exaggerating when I say that every Sunday morning my husband and I talk about how much we wish we could grab a sausage, egg and cheese on a roll from there along with a good cup of deli coffee (we live in the Chicago suburbs now--the only time I get a good breakfast sandwich is when I make it and I can never buy rolls or sausage patties that are just *right*). And the Village Meat Market....such great stuff! I know it's not what most people think of when they think of that place, but I so miss their homemade rainbow cookies! So, the only thing your blog lacks is a pic of a good NY pizza and garlic knots (we preferred Mario's over Pizza Station)!! Then I can just come here and heighten the longing by looking at pictures of what I'm craving and can't have!

Anyway, thanks for all the pics...I have to head back to Long Island in a few weeks for some family stuff and now I'm thinking I may have to detour back up to Westchester to visit old haunts!

P.S.--as far as Clinton goes, I used to always get a kick out of it when I saw him in town. The last time I saw him, he was walking on a spring morning. After he got in the car and left, I saw a handful of people that appeared to be regular passersby with backbacks, bags, etc. pull little earpieces out--I assume they were all Secret Service. It was kind of strange and interesting at the same time to see how they all just blended in like you and me.

ETA--There are pizza pics! I just hadn't gotten thru the whole thread yet (hey, I've got 4 kids, it's hard to keep up). THank you thank you!

Edited by tavogels (log)

After a nice long walk with Jean-Luc, I headed over to one of my favorite adjacent towns' farmers markets: Pleasantville. There aren't a lot of vendors, but the ones there are very good.

I get very excited, food-wise, just a few times a year: when the first tomatoes, nectarines, softshell crabs, and Peeps arrive. I'm almost as happy about the apples and pears, and late-season peaches help me hang on to summer.

One of the farms, Mead Orchards, comes Tivoli, NY, a bit upstate from here. This is just a bit of the crowd lined up to buy from them -- the apples were particularly wonderful today.

gallery_28661_3538_55522.jpg

I'm dying to make dumplings, pie, turnovers, applesauce. :sad:

gallery_28661_3538_58984.jpg

so I just got some Galas for the boys (they love them).

gallery_28661_3538_43636.jpg

they had lots of prune plums, and Seckle pears

gallery_28661_3538_2694.jpg

gallery_28661_3538_31581.jpg

Late season peaches, too.

gallery_28661_3538_42775.jpg

gallery_28661_3538_22239.jpg

My younger son won't eat them because he says they look like butts.

I couldn't leave without getting something from Bread Alone. Today, my favorites --

Chocolate croissants, and a chocolate-currant scone with just a tiny bit of lemon. I could sleep in a big pile of those.

gallery_28661_3538_4183.jpg

Next stop: Mt. Kisco, for the Mt. Kisco Farm!

As was said earlier by hathor, this is what they call the "$60 market." :laugh: We love it here -- I buy the sushi rice by the 10# bag, and can always find a bottle of our favorite barbecue sauce. Plus, for anyone who loves surimi California rolls, they sell frozen blocks of that, too.

First, for those of you who wish to feel superior to our little villages and hamlets, here's your opportunity: No wall o'Pocky here. It's more like a Pile o'Pocky.

gallery_28661_3538_78594.jpg

Anyway. They had some tomatoes -- won't say where they got 'em, though.

gallery_28661_3538_36596.jpg

Yeah, that's $25 per half-pound on those chanterelles.

gallery_28661_3538_20506.jpg

I don't think most of their customers have ever seen a fresh Lychee.

gallery_28661_3538_48392.jpg

Every kind of noodle, rice, nori, sauce, jelly, nut, you can imagine, is here.

gallery_28661_3538_43720.jpg

gallery_28661_3538_10600.jpg

They carry 'name' brands, as you can see, and a lot of imported products. I get Kewpie Mayo here -- they didn't have any when I was in. :sad: I love that little bottle ...

We wanted to do a parallel chocolate tasting today (well, I did), to see if Ghirardelli is getting better; also, to see if I was right, that the coating on the chocolate bombe we got at La Tulipe was 65%.

gallery_28661_3538_1142.jpg

I can almost always find gooseberries and real currants here, as well.

Here's what I got (minus two boxes of Pocky that the kids already took.)

gallery_28661_3538_39220.jpg

It cost ... $45.47. Not quite the $60, but pretty pricey anyway. If I'd gotten the Kewpie, and the Cacao Nibs I considered, no doubt it would have reached $60.

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen a fresh lychee either. Maybe that's what I just ran over with my jogging stroller (icky mess). Will have to go back and see if there's something worth stealing from the neighbors. :wink:

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Well, folks, it's time for me to say good-bye. Mr. FFB and I had a marvelous meal at Crabtree's Kittle House (a favorite of President Clinton, and of ours). He had oysters ( :wink: ), I started with stuffed squash blossoms, and we both had fish. Salmon for him, sea bass for me. We brought dessert home with us -- the restaurant has always had a Valrhona "package," which is valrhona and chocolate cake in phyllo, and I'll bake it for one of my kids tomorrow. Dave's was a carrot cake and he just told me that I had "better not eat it tonight." He knows me so well.

I'm waiting for the youngest to come home from a "mixer" at school. Older is out somewhere with some friends. My husband has an early tee-time and I'm going to hang with the dog, eat peaches and pastries, and think about my next steps. At the Kittle House was one of the FOH mangers from Blue Hill at Stone Barns (where I externed and worked; I stay in close touch with the people there). It was great to see him and catch up, and it made me even more determined to find a job that will keep me sharp, and to connect with someone for that cookbook I"ve got waiting.

I am so happy to have found eGullet! I've met a few of you in person, and will meet more in coming weeks/months, I hope. As one of my friends who I met on eG said, "blogging is like having a party; you really hope people show up and have fun." Thank you for the warm reception. I've had fun, and I hope you-all have, too.

And last, but definitely not least, this is for you, Pontormo. You are smart and sharp and knew immediately from my "queen mug" teaser that I'd be blogging. I can think of no better time than now to show you what I"ve been doing since I day I read of your little project on the "Fruit Stickers" thread. I kind of want to be you when I grow up. :wub::wub:

gallery_28661_3538_2760.jpg

It's never really over, as long we all remain in touch through eGullet, so I'm not going to shed a tear, but, this has been such a rollicking good blog, I'm sad for it to end, and I thank you, from the bottom of my pink satin Pumas.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Fabby, a fabulously befitting blog.

Tell the boys that Galas are my favorite eating apple.

My cousin Jason and his awesome girlfriend Abby came for dinner tonight and are headed out to Chappaqua VERY early tomorrow morning, and I am thinking of you and the fun you would all have (Jason's mom, my favorite, coolest aunt, who grew up in Chappaqua, is out there, too) together.

Well done, babe.

I'll think of you every time I drool over Hugh Laurie. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

:cool: I've absolutely enjoyed this! Many years ago I worked for a company that had an office in Purchase, and it was my first glimpse of Westchester County (from then, Orange County, CA). This visit could have only been better with a pic of that handsome devil, Bill! :wub:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien