• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: FabulousFoodBabe - Of Queens and Former Presidents

You have GOT to tell me what you thought the top two were!  Just whisper it here and I won't tell anyone ... :wink:

There's no tee-niney font to whisper with.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, what the heck---I have five sons. My life has not been a sheltered one.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The above was posted before dinner, after a LONG day of canning pear preserves---eleven pints and two fridge boxes---and getting seven tablesful of stuff out and priced and shiny, ready for tomorrow's neighborhood yard sale.

I can only plead famishment and fatigue.

Edited to preserve some sense of decorum.

Coward. :laugh:

FFB, farther down do you really have "Green Pads"? Is that as in scrubber pads, or something more creative like lettuce in a sheet?

And did I miss it? What's P.T.S? I'm still mulling that one.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I would like a piece of that cake, please.

Your husband is a funny man (his list cracked me up).  Is the JP who you are inspired by for your kitchen plans Jacques Pepin? 

Er, not sure why you'd be acquiring mice eaten by a corn snake, then feeding them to your cat and then rescuing them - but it sounds like a great idea for a reality show.  I've seen worse.

:laugh: I meant to reply to this: All the snake ate was mice. The cat was eating the snake's food and at the time we had the snake (his name was Bob -- and our cat's name is John), I had to drive 45 minutes round trip to get the feeder mice.

So John eating Bob's lunch was just not cool -- I was afraid Bob would go into python mode and eat my kid in his sleep or, worse than that, come to my room looking for something to tide him over.

I just grabbed John by the back of his head, right by the jaws and squeezed; when he opened, I reached in and yanked.

It was pretty nasty. At one point, I was such a girlie girl, you can't imagine. :rolleyes:

:laugh: Oh dear, I'm crying over the hilarity of this image. Ah, motherhood and pet feeding -- not for the faint of heart.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I got money on the cardinal.

Yes! Liz and I guessed it immediately. I usually guess three times before I ask the counter guys to tell me what the answer is. Once, it was "which US President earned a PhD?" Another, "In which Disney Movie was "Bare Necessities" featured?"

Anyway. It's a great place. I had 'my' salmon for my 10:00 meal today:

gallery_28661_3538_6997.jpg

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Edited to preserve some sense of decorum.

I think that ship has sailed, m'dear. TELL!!!

FFB, farther down do you really have "Green Pads"?  Is that as in scrubber pads, or something more creative like lettuce in a sheet?

And did I miss it?  What's P.T.S?  I'm still mulling that one.

Yes, the green pads are scrubbers. They only have store brand green pads at the A&P now, and they are just not the same. They do offer "blue pads," or purple pads, but I want my green pads, darn it.

P.T.s are usually Paper Towels. In this case, it's Pop-Tarts. And yes, I feel dirty admitting it. I don't eat them, but I do buy them. My husband thinks every day starts brighter with a pop-tart.

Lettuce in a sheet. Rolls of lettuce for making lettuce rolls! I like that.

Looks wonderful, what's the 'crust'?

One of our favorite "easy" dishes to make. Melt whole butter until it starts to bubble; add panko and brown slightly, then stir in grated horseradish (be sure it's drained well if you get it from a jar). Salmon itself has salt, white pepper, and lemon drizzled on it. I just press the crumbs into the salmon and bake at 350 until it's where we want it.

Leftovers usually go into a salad or omelette. :smile:

I got money on the cardinal.

Yes! Liz and I guessed it immediately. I usually guess three times before I ask the counter guys to tell me what the answer is. Once, it was "which US President earned a PhD?" Another, "In which Disney Movie was "Bare Necessities" featured?"

(Former Princeton University President and New Jersey Governor) Woodrow Wilson; "The Jungle Book."

Okay, where's my prize?

Oh, I forgot to ask you, since I haven't made one yet: Was the duck fat grilled cheese tastier than the buttered variety?

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Okay, here it is. My kitchen.

Our house is one of those flat-roofed contemporaries, lots of windows, angles, and high ceilings. The previous owner was a clean-freak (even though she had 8 cats), and the house was chalk-white on the walls, wood floors, everywhere. Before we moved in, I stained the wood floors dark coffee-color and painted the walls in various soft beiges, peaches, etc. The kitchen cabinets were white once; now they're dulling to yellow and grey. Some of the fronts came off in my hands and wouldn't stay on, so I just yanked them off. I'll give a brief explanation of what's going to be changed with each picture.

Here's the view from our front door. To the left is the dining room and to the right is a l sitting room. the kitchen is boxed in. (All white tiles will become slate tiles: four white tiles = 1 grey slate.)

gallery_28661_3538_18167.jpg

Here's a great reason why work triangles are so awful. Everything happens in this corner and it drives us nuts. (the cooktop is relatively new; when we bought the house, the owner had a ceramic cooktop and NO ventilation.)

gallery_28661_3538_37647.jpg

On the right is a tall cabinet, next to that is the microwave and the oven that heats once in a while. These were thoughtfully installed across the kitchen because, you know, you just put in a roast and let it go for an hour or two. :angry: And, of course, the obligatory and very handy planning desk.

gallery_28661_3538_3372.jpg

This ... sigh. There's a small eating area where we have a table and chairs; the "breakfast counter" is nothing but an overhang of countertop.

gallery_28661_3538_36855.jpg

And there it is. Our new kitchen will open into the sitting room, which will then become a wet bar/wine tasting room. I don't want to go into overload on you-all here, so here are the plans:

gallery_28661_3538_26977.jpg

What you can't see, is that the sitting room has a fireplace in it and over that will be a flat-screen television, both for my cooking classes/cable show (hah!), and for the MST-3K ripoff I'd like to do with the Food Network shows. Takers, let me know! :smile:

Good on you for getting rid of the FUGLY kitchen.  How much of the work will you be doing yourselves?  BTW, you don't really need plans in advance. I have had two harvest gold kitchens (the most recent had a dishwasher that leaked from the TOP), and when Paul was away, always took a crow bar to the kitchen, putting it to the point of no return.  But then again, we do all our own drywalling, plumbing, electrical, installation, etc., and it keeps things interesting.

Errrr ... we're not doing any of it. After seven houses, I lost my joie de doing stuff myself. It's one of the reasons it's taking so long to get it done :huh:

I hired architect this time, because the renovation is going to include structural work inside, and a good bit of outdoor work. I wanted to stay with the contemporary feel of the outside and the homey way we live inside.

The first single-family house my husband and I bought way long ago, we redid the kitchen ourselves. O-M-G, what a nightmare. We decided that our marital happiness was worth more than the cost of having someone else do it, and so have waited a long time for this kitchen.

(Former Princeton University President and New Jersey Governor) Woodrow Wilson; "The Jungle Book."

Okay, where's my prize?

Oh, I forgot to ask you, since I haven't made one yet:  Was the duck fat grilled cheese tastier than the buttered variety?

Sandy! I have a sneaking feeling that you didn't have to Google either one of those! (this is an admiring glance :hmmm: ) I really, really thought it was "Song of the South," and I didn't know Woodrow was a PhD. I think your prize is the scallops that I brought home yesterday -- I'll stick them in the mail to you, okay?

The duck fat grilled cheese sandwich was SO good. I buttered the bread a little bit, too. It did brown quickly, so I finished it in the oven.

This has been a fabulousfoodblog!

That grilled cheese sandwich looked so good my bottle of Lipitor started jumping up and down.

Good luck with the reno - hope we'll see pictures as it progresses, but especially when it's done.

What you can't see, is that the sitting room has a fireplace in it and over that will be a flat-screen television, both for my cooking classes/cable show (hah!), and for the MST-3K ripoff I'd like to do with the Food Network shows.  Takers, let me know!  :smile:

(Photos elided for brevity)

What a beautiful, welcoming house. I love the open feel of it. It will be even better with slate floors rather than white tile.

What is the "pass through with pull *** door"? Am I seeing aright that it's in the middle of a counter space in the middle of the left-hand side of the room? I'm not getting that.

Do talk more, please, about traffic flow. I can see how your work triangle would drive you nuts. Our kitchen, which may or may not ever be renovated, has a large open floor plan (which we love) with the counter space and appliances occupying 2 adjacent walls. The sink is on one wall near the corner; the stove is along the other wall about the same distance from the corner; and for some reason we're always competing for that particular bit of real estate. I've been thinking that an island in the middle would help us, but it might be worse for 2 people because it would restrict our movement.

I've only heard or read of Mystery Science Theater 2000, or any of the Food Network shows (I'm still a network Luddite), but I think you've got a winning combo there. :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Alert, alert!

Fabby, I had a Chelsea sighting at lunch today! Crossing Park at 54th Street, she and I walked side by side for about a block...

Mission (sort of) accomplished, baby!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Hmmmm....

Cross MST3K and "$40 a Day with Rachel Ray"...

Mutant food-travel spawn of the demon seed?

Maybe. It'd definitely be funnier than s**t.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hmmmm....

Maybe.  It'd definitely be funnier than s**t.

I smell a possible new topic: "FN Shows Most Amenable to MST3K Treatment." (The challenge, of course, will be to keep it relevant to food and eGullet, as opposed to totally spinning off on quirks of the host, etc.). I personally don't have the bandwidth to start such a topic, but I'm not above inciting someone else ... :laugh:

Hmmmm....

I smell a possible new topic: "FN Shows Most Amenable to MST3K Treatment." (The challenge, of course, will be to keep it relevant to food and eGullet, as opposed to totally spinning off on quirks of the host, etc.). I personally don't have the bandwidth to start such a topic, but I'm not above inciting someone else ... :laugh:

I hereby nominate "Unwrapped"! :wacko:

the tall drink of water...

I wanna know about that LOOOONNNNGGG sink. How wide & deep is it? Looks like you coulda bathed Bob in it.

I LOVE slate!!! In spite of the fact that my kitchen was stripped to the echoes a week before I was scheduled to cater dinner for 200 for Son's wedding, and the slate took two days of that to put down, and I had houseguests coming, and then Chris said well, you WANTED to paint the kitchen---now's the best time with all the stuff out---I STILL love my gorgeous slate-green slate. :wub:

What is the "pass through with pull *** door"?  Am I seeing aright that it's in the middle of a counter space in the middle of the left-hand side of the room?  I'm not getting that.

It's one of my favorite parts of the kitchen! When you walk into the kitchen from the dining room, to the left will be a small "pass" with a staging area, warming drawer/coffee center, and a speed oven. The pull-down door will open to a cleanup area on the other side of the 'wall.' I think of it as a grocery aisle, with the big refrigerator being an 'end cap' display ... pass on one side; dishwasher/cleanup on the other.

It's hard to describe without having something to look at, but this is the way I think of it. The refrigerator will open to the island, and the wet bar/beverage area will be between the kitchen and sitting room.

Am I making sense? My initial hope was to have the big sinks, dishwasher, storage, etc., in a separate room. I didn't want to change the footprint of the house, and to build it into this plan would make it very closed-off and boxy, which is what we're trying to get away from.

Alert, alert!

Fabby, I had a Chelsea sighting at lunch today!  Crossing Park at 54th Street, she and I walked side by side for about a block...

Mission (sort of) accomplished, baby!

Oh, thank you, Miss Megan! :smile: I knew I could count on you. Any Clinton is good at this point! Tomorrow night, we're going to the Clintons' favorite restaurant here in town ... next to Lange's. I'm so bummed that he's traveling this week; I hear he's very good about having photos with people, or just for them.

Oh, man. When I have the opening night party for this kitchen (and you all better come, dammit!), we can do one and put it on YouTube.

I smell a possible new topic: "FN Shows Most Amenable to MST3K Treatment." (The challenge, of course, will be to keep it relevant to food and eGullet, as opposed to totally spinning off on quirks of the host, etc.). I personally don't have the bandwidth to start such a topic, but I'm not above inciting someone else ...  :laugh:

You rabble-rouser, you. :wink: I wonder who owns the right to the Galloping Gourmet?