• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: FabulousFoodBabe - Of Queens and Former Presidents

Yay sticks! You should have seen the place before they put in the paved roads. The wagon wheels were always getting stuck in the muddy ruts after the latest hurricane/tropical storm.

I do have to say we've had power when other places have been without. Must be because of those kerosene lanterns! har har

Just ate a plateful of vegetables that came from the Brewster Farmers Market and my backyard--I'm going to explode--at least the scraps will be organic and wholesome.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I also love the freezer - mine looks just like that (minus the fish cubes).  I also have little bags of butt ends of french bread that I am going to make into bread crumbs one day  :laugh:!  I am enjoying your blog so much!

Food hoarders unite! I had the samw comforting feeling when viewing the freezer shot. I sometimes have a bag of veggie scraps going for stock as well...

Much of this went away recently when I purchased a large (for my small freezer) order of pastured meats from Polyface Farms that I had to stick in the freezer.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

My husband 'lost' his sherbet container today in the freezer, which is man-talk for "it's not in front of my face." 

:laugh::laugh:

This is the top left of the freezer; see the little squares of fish food?  Awwww.  I'll show you the fishies tomorrow.

gallery_28661_3538_12880.jpg

Here's the rest of the freezer

gallery_28661_3538_27475.jpg

Note the chipwiches in the red box, and the bags of frozen chicken bones. I'm a little behind on stock production!

Oh, that looks familiar! :raz:

I also love the freezer - mine looks just like that (minus the fish cubes).  I also have little bags of butt ends of french bread that I am going to make into bread crumbs one day  :laugh:!   I am enjoying your blog so much!

Food hoarders unite! I had the samw comforting feeling when viewing the freezer shot. I sometimes have a bag of veggie scraps going for stock as well...

Much of this went away recently when I purchased a large (for my small freezer) order of pastured meats from Polyface Farms that I had to stick in the freezer.

We have a freezer all the way across the top of the refrigerator. In prime season we have to open it carefully, lest a cascade of hard objects tumbles thudding onto bare feet. My husband has been known to complain that there's nothing edible in there: "Shrimp shells, duck parts," he grumbles, "where's something I can cook?"

As far as easy access goes, we took care to get the shelves that pull out on rollers. They pull out easily, but since some stray ice cube usually is lurking at the back to fall into that space, the return trip is a bit harder.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm enjoying your blog so much. We have quite a few similar tastes, as well. Grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches are one of my lifelong favorite things. I'm going to try your marinade, and also the Eggo waffle with peanut butter and jelly or preserves or whatever. The waffle sounds like something quick and easy to eat on busy work mornings.

Walking this dog is like walking a vacuum cleaner; I can tell he's got something when the flaps on the side of his mouth bulge out.  Today:  a pine cone,  a piece of wood, and a dead bird.

Well, this IS a foodblog...it's important that we be up-to-date on Jean-Luc's habits, too. :wink: He's adorable. What's his favorite kind of people-food?

Ohh, so sorry, Jean Luc is the dog in the picture, I'm confused?  Rest in Peace Josie.

Yep, coquus. Josie left us a few months ago, after 15 years. Jean-Luc is a hellion.

Feeding animals is a big part of my life as well, but I won't yak much about them except when they're noshing or dining.

Jean-Luc is truly adorable!  I know this isn't a dog blog, but would you mind talking a bit about what the hound eats?  Any special treats or food in particular that he just loves?

..... and not to mention something else we have in common, a Josie. Is your late Josie a Basset Hound? Don't know if you've come across any of my posts which include mentions of my granddog, Josie. I have her for the two to three years my son expects to be stationed in Japan. I have gotten such a kick out of hearing what Jen-Luc eats. Michael, my son, was strict about keeping her on dog food only, but I've made a few exceptions. I give her a rawhide chewbone once a week and a Greenie once a week, an egg once in a while, a taste of cheese occasionally, a dish of ice cream at the local ice cream store after each vet visit, a ...... I better shut up -- this is a public forum that Michael could possibly read. :biggrin:

"Like walking a vacuum cleaner" cracked me up, too. How true. Once on Josie's daily walk, a neighbor told me that they had a Basset named Hoover because he was so much like one. One of the most unusual snacks Josie had lately was the back half of a lizard.

We will have to talk more about this in PM... :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Hi, chezcherie! They're Pure Komachi knives; I got some on Amazon.com, one at a store here, and a couple of them at Cooking.com or Chef's.com, on sale. They cost about $20-$25 when they're not on sale.

Just for clarification, the manufacturer is Kershaw and the name of the line is "Pure Komachi." I've just now realized that Kershaw is the overseas name for Kai Cutlery, which is a major brand in Japan.

I've seen those knives before and wouldn't hesitate to buy them for casual use. Kai is a very trusted name in Japan.

Here's a link to the Kershaw site (look under "Kitchen Cutlery" for the Pure Komachi line):

http://www.kershawknives.com/large.htm

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Hi, chezcherie! They're Pure Komachi knives; I got some on Amazon.com, one at a store here, and a couple of them at Cooking.com or Chef's.com, on sale. They cost about $20-$25 when they're not on sale.

Just for clarification, the manufacturer is Kershaw and the name of the line is "Pure Komachi." I've just now realized that Kershaw is the overseas name for Kai Cutlery, which is a major brand in Japan.

I've seen those knives before and wouldn't hesitate to buy them for casual use. Kai is a very trusted name in Japan.

Here's a link to the Kershaw site (look under "Kitchen Cutlery" for the Pure Komachi line):

http://www.kershawknives.com/large.htm

merci to you both---they are too adorable to resist a try....and also hard to lose when taking a knife to someone else house. those reasons alone are enough to place an order!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

they are too adorable to resist a try....

Hmm, all these comments have me thinking that I should pick one up as a "first knife" present for my oldest daughter, who is turning eight. Maybe it will further jump-start her interest in cooking.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Fabby, I want to live next door to you.  I want to cook with you, meet your cool boys, share a bottle with you and your funny husband and my pug, Otis, wants to chill with the incomparable Jean-Luc!  I also love the freezer - mine looks just like that (minus the fish cubes).  I also have little bags of butt ends of french bread that I am going to make into bread crumbs one day  :laugh:!  I am enjoying your blog so much!

You are so, so sweet, Kimshook! :wub::wub: Jean-Luc loves the pugs in the neighborhood. Otis is a good name for a dog. He's in a skillet? :laugh:

However, you may want to rethink the "cool boys" comment when you see this. You know how people have those sweet little "Swear Jars" sitting on their counter? Well, ours goes a couple of steps further:

gallery_28661_3538_13409.jpg

Some days, they change dollars into quarters, and stand there and burp and throw the quarters in,one at a time. Have I said, "sigh," lately?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

However, you may want to rethink the "cool boys" comment when you see this. You know how people have those sweet little "Swear Jars" sitting on their counter?  Well, ours goes a couple of steps further:

Some days, they change dollars into quarters, and stand there and burp and throw the quarters in,one at a time.  Have I said, "sigh," lately?

:laugh: Reminds me that I heard that old song "Spiders and Snakes" just the other night. Have you informed your young men that this particular noisemaking skill is doomed to *not* impress any love-interests they might be contemplating? :laugh:

(You could even suggest that picking up a few constructive kitchen skills might be a much faster route to romance... :wink: )

Yay sticks!  You should have seen the place before they put in the paved roads. 

You are such a good sport! Katonah is beautiful, and there's a good reason our high-falutin' New York friends all have places up there; more than one is considering a year-round move.

Angela, were your ears burning? Liz Johnson and I went to La Tulipe today for gelatos and pastries, and talked about how much you'd like it ..... mmmmmm. You really should have been there. Since I intend to go there every day, next time you have some time, let me know.

La Tulipe Desserts is a pastry shop in Mt. Kisco, in a tiny building.

gallery_28661_3538_67355.jpg

that is Chef Steenman on the porch; the man is always smiling and neat. That's the first thing you notice when you walk in: it's a small, bright and spotless space.

gallery_28661_3538_42732.jpg

Cookies by the pound, desserts in individual servings and larger cakes, and gelatos are made there.

gallery_28661_3538_9694.jpg

gallery_28661_3538_9308.jpg

gallery_28661_3538_43150.jpg

gallery_28661_3538_7117.jpg

Out of chocolate croissants :sad:

But ... we each got lots of gelato. Mine is coconut and Nutella; Liz's is pear and chocolate.

gallery_28661_3538_30977.jpg

It was such a gorgeous day, that we sat outside and ate our sorbets. Then, we too pictures of one another. "Dueling Foodblogs" is what Liz calls it.

gallery_28661_3538_28495.jpg

Only my genteel Southern raisin' kept me from saying what I thought the TOP TWO were.  :raz: 

And the Fresser-shopping---no LIPSTICK???

You have GOT to tell me what you thought the top two were! Just whisper it here and I won't tell anyone ... :wink:

Nope, no lipstick for Fresser. Just pantyhose.

After our trip to La Tulipe, Liz and I went down the road to Mt. Kisco Seafood. It used to be in a little house right next to La Tulipe, but they outgrew it long ago and now are in a newer building a few doors down.

Not only do they have wonderful fish (and supply to and own a couple of other restaurants in the area), they have wonderful people with senses of humor.

gallery_28661_3538_34605.jpg

Every day, a new trivia question.

gallery_28661_3538_27956.jpg

They have some fruits and vegetables (usually locally grown), and some amazing cheeses, too. Any manner of rub, marinade, or sauce is there and they make some soups, sauces, etc., there.

The case is full of whatever is good at the time, and when I first started buying softshells there -- and told them I'd kill/clean them myself, they didn't bat an eye or say, "honey, are you sure?" They have my undying gratitude for that as well.

gallery_28661_3538_56367.jpg

gallery_28661_3538_30152.jpg

gallery_28661_3538_4262.jpg

See Liz smile? She's getting ready to be smooched by the owner.

gallery_28661_3538_50699.jpg

I bought salmon, scallops, and some focaccia. And, some of what Liz calls "Lisa's Cheese." It's from Rainbeau Ridge farms in Bedford Hills (about 10 miles from here), and is THE best goat cheese I've ever had.

gallery_28661_3538_16631.jpg

Fabby, I want to live next door to you.  I want to cook with you, meet your cool boys, share a bottle with you and your funny husband and my pug, Otis, wants to chill with the incomparable Jean-Luc!  I also love the freezer - mine looks just like that (minus the fish cubes).  I also have little bags of butt ends of french bread that I am going to make into bread crumbs one day  :laugh:!  I am enjoying your blog so much!

You are so, so sweet, Kimshook! :wub::wub: Jean-Luc loves the pugs in the neighborhood. Otis is a good name for a dog. He's in a skillet? :laugh:

However, you may want to rethink the "cool boys" comment when you see this. You know how people have those sweet little "Swear Jars" sitting on their counter? Well, ours goes a couple of steps further:

Some days, they change dollars into quarters, and stand there and burp and throw the quarters in,one at a time. Have I said, "sigh," lately?

Ah, the freezer. Mine upstairs in a landmine, and many a meal has been borne by what had fallen on and landed on and nearly broken my food.

The Jar. I'd have to add farting to your label, since it appears that 10-year old boys seem rather obsessed by what comes out the Other End. They even have songs about gas. Two girls did not prepare me for this.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm headed out for dinner (Dinosaur BBQ!) but I also posted part of our execursion on my blog. Click here to see FFB taking a photo of me taking a photo of her.

See y'all later!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

You have GOT to tell me what you thought the top two were!  Just whisper it here and I won't tell anyone ... :wink:

There's no tee-niney font to whisper with.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, what the heck---I have five sons. My life has not been a sheltered one.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The above was posted before dinner, after a LONG day of canning pear preserves---eleven pints and two fridge boxes---and getting seven tablesful of stuff out and priced and shiny, ready for tomorrow's neighborhood yard sale.

I can only plead famishment and fatigue.

Edited to preserve some sense of decorum.

Edited by racheld (log)

I'm so enjoying this blog! And I'm really looking forward to hearing about all the kitchen plans - I rent, and have to experience the joy of kitchen renovation vicariously. :wink:

And I have to stop reading this blog when I'm hungry! Those photographs from La Tulipe look scrumptious.

I'm enjoying your blog so much.  We have quite a few similar tastes, as well.  Grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches are one of my lifelong favorite things.  I'm going to try your marinade, and also the Eggo waffle with peanut butter and jelly or preserves or whatever.  The waffle sounds like something quick and easy to eat on busy work mornings.
Hi, Susan! Yes, it's built for speed, and kept my blood sugar nice and stable until I needed to eat something else. The nutritionist even put it into her dietary recommendations for the other pregnant ladies. I have one almost every day.

Don't know if you've come across any of my posts which include mentions of my granddog, Josie.  I have her for the two to three years my son expects to be stationed in Japan.  I have gotten such a kick out of hearing what Jen-Luc eats.  Michael, my son, was strict about keeping her on dog food only, but I've made a few exceptions.  I give her a rawhide chewbone once a week and a Greenie once a week, an egg once in a while, a taste of cheese occasionally, a dish of ice cream at the local ice cream store after each vet visit, a .
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Yes, we'd talked about Josie. What breed is she? Our Josie was a black Lab, and on a very strict diet. We used to give her allergy shots! Her predecessor was Bogart, the Basset boy, who was the kid we made all our mistakes with. We'd walk him to Graeter's in Cincinnati and order him his own ice cream cone! that dog got Chinese food, anything we ate, I made for him too.

Is your Josie a Basset?

We will have to talk more about this in PM...  :smile:

Yes, we shall. :smile:

Have you informed your young men that this particular noisemaking skill is doomed to *not* impress any love-interests they might be contemplating? :laugh:
Yeah, at the top of my lungs. Their father is not a help with this. He has to hit the jar more than any of us. (Well, okay, I do cuss a little when I'm driving ...)
(You could even suggest that picking up a few constructive kitchen skills might be a much faster route to romance...  :wink: )

Youngest wants me to install a rotisserie (really, a barbecue pit) so he can learn how to roast meat. I'm trying to teach him pan roasting and oven roasting, but he's got this vision of himself cranking a suckling pit on a spit in the back yard.

I guess it could be worse.

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)

I'm so enjoying this blog!  And I'm really looking forward to hearing about all the kitchen plans - I rent, and have to experience the joy of kitchen renovation vicariously.  :wink:

And I have to stop reading this blog when I'm hungry!  Those photographs from La Tulipe look scrumptious.

tomorrow, I promise. Plans will be shown and photos of the current FUGLY kitchen will be revealed. After the last reno I swore "no more," and here I am, getting ready to gut.

One day, though, I'll rent again. My husband will go crazy with nothing to mulch, but I'll be happy and have clean nails.

I would like a piece of that cake, please.

Your husband is a funny man (his list cracked me up).  Is the JP who you are inspired by for your kitchen plans Jacques Pepin? 

Er, not sure why you'd be acquiring mice eaten by a corn snake, then feeding them to your cat and then rescuing them - but it sounds like a great idea for a reality show.  I've seen worse.

:laugh: I meant to reply to this: All the snake ate was mice. The cat was eating the snake's food and at the time we had the snake (his name was Bob -- and our cat's name is John), I had to drive 45 minutes round trip to get the feeder mice.

So John eating Bob's lunch was just not cool -- I was afraid Bob would go into python mode and eat my kid in his sleep or, worse than that, come to my room looking for something to tide him over.

I just grabbed John by the back of his head, right by the jaws and squeezed; when he opened, I reached in and yanked.

It was pretty nasty. At one point, I was such a girlie girl, you can't imagine. :rolleyes:

And I have to stop reading this blog when I'm hungry!  Those photographs from La Tulipe look scrumptious.

Heh. I had a few crackers with Rainbeau Ridge goat cheese to start, and then the Chocolate Ecstasy and the lemon tart for dinner. And I'd do it again.

(Everyone else got salmon with horseradish crumbs, asparagus and garden tomatoes.)

I'm stuffed and smiling, and will see you all in the morning!

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)

These pages accumulate quite quickly! I've been reading with a growling stomach! Oh, the meat and fish counters and the column of bananas! We don't see columns here, just scattered bunches.

But, mmmm, that dessert. Heavens above. I had to wipe the lick marks off my screen! thanks

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

I'm so enjoying this blog!  And I'm really looking forward to hearing about all the kitchen plans - I rent, and have to experience the joy of kitchen renovation vicariously.  :wink:

tomorrow, I promise. Plans will be shown and photos of the current FUGLY kitchen will be revealed. After the last reno I swore "no more," and here I am, getting ready to gut.

One day, though, I'll rent again. My husband will go crazy with nothing to mulch, but I'll be happy and have clean nails.

Good on you for getting rid of the FUGLY kitchen. How much of the work will you be doing yourselves? BTW, you don't really need plans in advance. I have had two harvest gold kitchens (the most recent had a dishwasher that leaked from the TOP), and when Paul was away, always took a crow bar to the kitchen, putting it to the point of no return. But then again, we do all our own drywalling, plumbing, electrical, installation, etc., and it keeps things interesting.

Oh, and the overstuffed side-by-side freezer,I don't even want to think of how many bags of bones I have in my freezer, but will when I'm done gardening and thinking of stock, braising and fall-type activities.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"