• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savories: What are you making & baking?

glennbech

well it sure looks delicious!  where may i find the recipe?
Well this is my first post on the Pastry and Baking forum since I am not a baker.  After reading a lot about the no knead bread technique and finding a video that showed the basics, I decided to give this a shot.  I used Harvest King flour and just followed the recipe but dug deep in the bag for my 3 cups of flour.  My water had to be adjusted since 1.5 cups yielded a very dry dough.  I just kept adding until I had a very wet dough.  I felt certain that it was too wet and after reading some of the failures on the no knead thread was bracing for the worst.  Since the consensus was that this bread was lacking in taste I added a couple of tbs of dried rosemary and I was pairing it with a roast chicken so it sounded right.  I let it sit for 16 hrs then flopped it out and did the fold but but it back into a stainless bowl covered with a towel for the second rise.  In the oven at 500 F for 30 min and then 18 min uncovered at 450.  When I lifted the lid for the second part of the bake I was rewarded with a well rounded loaf that was nicely golden in color.  Taste wise it was very good.  Better than any bread from any of our local bakeries and stellar for a non baker like me. 

Thanks!

Here is the video that I watched. I followed the verbal recipe given in the video and listed my amounts above. Here is the link to the Egullet No-knead bread thread as well. Basic recipe is 3 cups flour, 1/4 tsp instant yeast, 1 1/4 tsp salt (2tsp salt is better IMO), 1 1/2 cups water. So simple even I could do it

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...5345&hl=Noknead

I have made two more. One with olives, roasted garlic and rosemary and another with half Harvest King AP flour and half whole wheat flour. Both came out good but they both felt much wetter when trying to turn out and fold. I could swear the dough didn't feel any wetter than my first attempt but I will cut back and look for a somewhat drier dough on my next attempt. I have some rye flour that I would like to use on the next try.

Wow , those looks so good. Could you please share the recipe.

I baked 4 batches of bread today for a total of 9 loaves. Wanted to get some in the freezer before the weather gets too warm to want to bake.

Here are the first 7 baked this morning. The last two were made with a sourdough biga and came out of the oven late this afternoon.

gallery_27944_2966_318417.jpg

• 1 month later...

My first ever attempt at making bread. I chose to do an enriched bread (Dinner rolls) because I love the taste, and equipment-wise there isn't as much fuss. In other words, to get the hang of it...

gallery_53129_4592_42571.jpg

Those are supposed to be Parker House Rolls (recipe: here at foodtv.com. I have other recipes which include milk, but I wanted to find out (almost) how they do it at the original kitchen. I encountered several problems, obviously:

1. I might have added too much water. The recipe called for 2 cups, and I didn't take into account our extreme humidity/heat. I kneaded the dough by hand for an hour, and it would not stop being sticky, generally not smooth. I added about a quarter cup of so of flour over the recommended, but I stopped there because I thought I might ruin it. When it kind of passed the window test after an hour, I thought f*** it, I'm so tired. (great exercise though.) Also, the recipe called for APF, not bread flour. I guess it made for poor gluten development.

2. It rose to more than double in half the recommended time, because of the heat here.

3. After I'd rolled it (it was less sticky after proofing, thank God) to half an inch thickness, it was still rising while I was cutting it, hence the weird shapes.

4. There was too much melted butter called for at the end for glazing. Since they sat in the butter pan, after I'd baked them, the bottoms were super-greasy (but super-tasty). Increased sogginess factor. My grandmother thought they were undercooked (I'm pretty sure they weren't).

5. It's really pale. I baked it for more than the recommended amount of time but it looks like it can take more? Also, the recipe with milk would probably brown more, right?

6. The ugly cut edge is showing in the final product. Yikes.

I'm not sure I was satisfied. It was soft and the crumb (?) was great, but I'm not one to slather butter on stuff, so the greasy bottoms turned me off.

Edit: Pictures of the process, and my story of whoa, here: http://manggy.blogspot.com/2007/07/parker-...with-how-i.html.

Also: I feel a little weird posting here, like I'm stepping into a new forum (probably would feel the same if I entered the Confections thread)-- anyway (Hi!!!), this is all-new territory for me, and I don't know a single person who bakes bread.. All I have to guide me is Dan Lepard''s book "Exceptional Breads" which is really the Baker & Spice book that's been cut up, I think. I've seen his newer, more extensive work but it was outside my price range. I also got "Bread" by Ursula Ferrigno and Eric Treuille. It's astounding how uniformly excellent pictures of bread are-- not just for these two books but each one I've leafed through.

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

My second attempt at bread: Foccacia from Dan Lepard's "Exceptional Breads."

gallery_53129_4592_140765.jpg

Damn this lack of experience. I still can't tell if a dough is too wet or dry. I'm guessing my dough might have been dry because the crumb is so dense (not as hole-y as Dan's photos). I might have underkneaded* too, but the instruction said that if the finger's indentation springs back slowly, it's enough. The bread was way too chewy (maybe a problem with the flour too, but I don't have any choices in my neck of the woods...) Next time I'll definitely control myself when it comes to adding flour during kneading.

* I don't have a heavy-duty mixer..

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

• 2 months later...

10 yrs I was too damn cheap to get a cookbook for 1 recipe

:wacko:

even if I never make anything else from it, this was worth $35.00

:wub:

gallery_23695_426_233410.jpg

:wub:

from Carol Fields ...The Italian Baker

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I want to see it!  I've been having a harder and harder time kneading bread (carpal tunnel, tennis elbow), and I'm not getting good results from food processor bread.  Brioche has been off my list for a long time because of all the kneading, so I'd love to see your recipe!

I don't know if you have a stand mixer, but I've been making Keller's brioche from Bouchon for some time now with great success. It is all done in a stand mixer basically. I can't really knead by hand anymore either, so I'm thrilled with this recipe.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to bake bread and rolls all the time and then stopped. The no-knead recipe got me started again and all the pics of everyone's bread.

I finally got a brotform in the mail this week, but have decided to check around the local craft stores for some cane. These things are so simple, I am going to make a few of my own. I am also going to make some linen lined baskets to try them, it's all a matter of finding a local source for some linen. I also got some sourdough starter and hopefully it is percolating. Tyhe last one I had I accidently threw it out cleaning up after a hurricane power outage, both my starter and sausage casings got thrown out.

gallery_12302_5246_128080.jpg

If it's linen you need, head to your local full-service picture frame shop! Many shops create fabric liners and use a variety of fabrics from linen to silk. Scraps or larger pieces can be picked up or purchased.

My wife's business is picture framing and she has given me many large linen scraps that I use in baking. She stitches up the edges for me so they don't unravel too much and then I put them in the washing machine, dry, iron, and then dust with flour for use.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

• 5 weeks later...

gallery_41282_4652_12922.jpg

We needed some last minute cornbread to go with chili last night, but I didn't have any corn meal. I did have my favorite artisenal finely ground polenta (same thing right?). I added 5 year Gouda and wow did it turn out well. Because the corn was artisenally ground it had small chunks among the powder which unlike the chunks in store bought corn meal, didn't have that grittiness.

• 3 weeks later...

I made my first "loaf" of bread today! I'm very excited because I've only used yeast by myself once before, and that was a few days ago making pretzels.

Compared to what I see on here, it's a disaster, but overall I'm very happy with it. I thought it wouldn't bake well at all, considering it barely even doubled in size when it was proofing. I decided to put it in the oven anyway, and it came out way better then expected! It had a nice, hard crust and a chewy, bread-like inside. My brother and sister said they wouldn't have known it was homemade if I hadn't told them. :wink:

I made the oven steamy when I first put the bread in, by putting a metal pan in the oven while it was preheating then pouring water into it.

Here are some pictures:

gallery_55196_5480_562583.jpg

gallery_55196_5480_176217.jpg

Toasted, with butter:

gallery_55196_5480_487401.jpg

As for the recipe, I was just fooling around with what I had read on TheFreshLoaf.com, so I didn't exactly have an exact recipe, just a few jumbled techniques and stuff.

Judging by the pictures, what kind of bread would you call this? It's just flour, water, salt and yeast.

Edited by Brigid Mary (log)

I made focaccia for the first time....and forgot the salt. Argh. Hopefully it won't be as bland as I anticipate :sad:

EDIT: As expected, pretty meh. Oh well, I'll make more. I still have all the ingredients, and with such a short rising time, it's not that big a deal.

gallery_54928_4907_161133.jpg

Edited by eskay (log)

Kate

I made my first "loaf" of bread today! I'm very excited because I've only used yeast by myself once before, and that was a few days ago making pretzels.

Compared to what I see on here, it's a disaster, but overall I'm very happy with it. I thought it wouldn't bake well at all, considering it barely even doubled in size when it was proofing. I decided to put it in the oven anyway, and it came out way better then expected! It had a nice, hard crust and a chewy, bread-like inside. My brother and sister said they wouldn't have known it was homemade if I hadn't told them. :wink:

I made the oven steamy when I first put the bread in, by putting a metal pan in the oven while it was preheating then pouring water into it.

Here are some pictures:

gallery_55196_5480_562583.jpg

gallery_55196_5480_176217.jpg

Toasted, with butter:

gallery_55196_5480_487401.jpg

As for the recipe, I was just fooling around with what I had read on TheFreshLoaf.com, so I didn't exactly have an exact recipe, just a few jumbled techniques and stuff.

Judging by the pictures, what kind of bread would you call this? It's just flour, water, salt and yeast.

I would call it wonderful bread.

from the appearance, you could call your bread ciabatta!

when proofing, don't worry about how long it takes, just let it get to the proper size. i think sometimes we worry about following directions in a recipe (times, temps, etc) too closely without considering the differences in our equipment, room temp, etc.

go with your gut and play some more. you're off to a good start!

Wow, thanks so much guys! This is really encouraging. I hope to try and make more more bread on Thursday if I have time. I can't wait to try again!

Well done, your bread looks great. Congratulations on working out how to post pictures in your very first post.

• 1 month later...

Once again I attempt the bread.

Here's how it went:

First you take this:

gallery_56081_5608_281451.jpg

And add it to this:

gallery_56081_5608_678225.jpg

Bake, and then you get this!

gallery_56081_5608_639645.jpg

And making two breads at the same time works out surprisingly well if you stagger the recipes (especially because focaccia rises 3 times!). Dunno if either of them rose well enough during proofing stages but they taste good enough. Especially the caramelized onions, yum :wub:

gallery_56081_5608_551499.jpg

P.S. Both recipes come from Good Housekeeping Baking.

Underfoot:  YUM.

I made bread the other weekend -- Rose's basic whole wheat hearth loaf.

gallery_32228_5614_32626.jpg

gallery_32228_5614_14084.jpg

It didn't last long.  :wink:

Oops, I didn't notice this reply until today! (Actually I didn't even know to post here, someone else moved it for me!) Thanks for the compliment, your bread looks great. I wish I could manage to get them to rise properly like yours, but mine never seem to do well on the second rise...

Ooooooh Shelby they did turn out well.  Perfect.  Once you get your family hooked on homemade bagels that is all they will want.  I need to get motivated and bake up a batch for the freezer. 

Ann

Thank you SO SO much for posting the recipe. It was fun!

And, yeah :unsure: ummmmm.....I already need to make more :unsure: