• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savories: What are you making & baking?

glennbech

Underfoot:  YUM.

I made bread the other weekend -- Rose's basic whole wheat hearth loaf.

gallery_32228_5614_32626.jpg

gallery_32228_5614_14084.jpg

It didn't last long.  :wink:

Oops, I didn't notice this reply until today! (Actually I didn't even know to post here, someone else moved it for me!) Thanks for the compliment, your bread looks great. I wish I could manage to get them to rise properly like yours, but mine never seem to do well on the second rise...

We were having a very cold weekend; this loaf had its second rise in the living room, near the fireplace. !!

• 3 weeks later...

As posted on another thread - this latest loaf - rolled rye added.

gallery_38003_5626_670403.jpg

Don't think we will purchase another loaf of bread. Already have another batch of dough rising.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All.

My first time to post a pic here. I've been down for a couple of weeks with bronchitis. Yesterday, for the first day in two weeks, I started feeling good and decided to crank out some croissant dough (Nancy Silverton's recipe.)

Ended up making croissant, pain au chocolate and morning buns.

gallery_22547_5775_17592.jpg

Edited by Brioche57 (log)

Shelby! Your bagels look so good! Perfect color!! I will go search for that recipe. I will make some tomorrow or Friday. Did they taste as good as they looked?!

Hi! Thank you so much! They are sooooooo good. My husband and I eat one almost every day. They have just the right "chewy bagel-ness" to them.

Here is the link to Ann's recipe

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1709.html

Shelby - your bagels are beautiful! I really ned to try those bagel. Ann is my bread idol!

Brioche57 - those breads are just gorgeous. I would love to wake up to that assortment!

My most recent baking adventures were much more pedestrian than everyone else's :wink: . Last night I made cornmeal pan rolls - really just a yeast roll with a little cornmeal added. They were very easy and good - a little sweet and will a bit of crunch from the cornmeal:

gallery_34972_3570_102903.jpg

The other day I made these cornmeal biscuits with cheddar:

gallery_34972_3570_71818.jpg

So good! The original recipe called for adding chipotles, but I can't take the heat and Mr. Kim doesn't like the smokiness, so I just added a little cayenne.

• 4 years later...

Might as well bring this thread back from the dead... hope that's not breaking any rules! (I have been on forums where they frowned on this)

baguettes, using the formula from Reinhart's Bread Baking Apprentice. Except I never remember the preferment the night before, so I add 0.1% (of the final dough weight, ie. 1g/1000g) diastatic malt powder to get some enzymatic action on the starch... with fairly good results, IMHO!

222717_426711530745443_982194214_n.jpg

cheers

Chris