• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savories: What are you making & baking?

glennbech

I baked two different batches of sourdough bread yesterday.  Morning's bread was made from a sourdough biga I started on Sunday night.  Made the dough on Monday and refrigerated it overnight for a long cool rise.  I filled two of the loaves with roasted garlic and cheddar and one with roasted garlic and kalamata olives.  I mixed up another biga yesterday morning and made bread with it later in the day and baked two more regular sourdough loaves.

The crust and gringe on those loaves looks really great--it looks to me like you got some nice oven spring going to open them up like that.

How much hydration do are you using?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Continuing a commercial-yeast-free month, I made a ciabbata-ish loaf. I've never made it without commercial yeast before, so this was a bit of an experiment. I used a starter that had been quadruple-fed the day before, femented at room temp, and then retarded overnight. Theis started was used in place of a poolish. I went with 70% overal hydration, but I think 75% would be even better.

The crust and crumb were both quite light and satisfying, but I didn't develop the large cavities I normally get. That's the main thing leading me to higher hydration.

The loaf as a whole:

gallery_1327_4139_4737.jpg

Crust detail. This is the end that was slightly less floured due to a bit of stretching during the transfer from couche to peel.

gallery_1327_4139_699.jpg

Crumb detail. As I said, I'd like to see a few more voids, but the texture and flavor were quite nice. There's one technical flaw in the center where I got a little too much flour on the dough during a turn.

gallery_1327_4139_591.jpg

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

This is the Modena Mountain Bread from The Splendid Table.

gallery_16307_2558_55772.jpg

I was kind of disappointed in it. It contains potatoes, and wheat berries, and sounded quite interesting. It definitely needed more salt, as do many Italian bread recipes to my taste, but overall I found it somewhat bland and stodgy, even though it had a retard for 24 hours or so.

gallery_16307_2558_37317.jpg

This isn't the best picture of the crumb, since the robiola kind of dominates, but you get the idea.

And this is the Boat-Shaped Khachapuri from Flatbreads and Flavors.

gallery_16307_4153_32974.jpg

It's a little cutie pie stuffed with cheese, but again, not as interesting a dough as I'd like to taste.

And just catching up on pictures here, Devlin's garlic sourdough, UnConundrum's Raisin Pumpernickel, glennbech's big-eared bread, Nina C.'s utterly gorgeous stuffed challah, Ann's eternally lovely bagels, all the beautiful sourdoughs and baguettes...but the absolute best has to be Shaloop's adorable daughter baking. She needs to send that third picture in with her application to culinary school, a few loaves down the road!

Edited by Abra (log)

The crust and gringe on those loaves looks really great--it looks to me like you got some nice oven spring going to open them up like that. 

ow much hydration do are you using?

Vengroff, I hate to admit it but I really don't know what the hydration is on any of the breads that I make. I never measurer the water. I will though when I bake this week.

Your ciabatta looks wonderful.

It's a little cutie pie stuffed with cheese, but again, not as interesting a dough as I'd like to taste.

Abra OOOH that looks so good. I love the shape and all the cheese. I have that cookbook so I'll look up the recipe.

Made croissant dough yesterday. Rolled out the dough this morning and used most of it to make Pain au Chocolate with an ounce of chocolate in each one. Had enough dough leftover to make 4 Croissants. Baked two chocolate and the four croissants and I froze 16 Pain au Chocolates unbaked.

Rising:

gallery_27944_2966_322290.jpg

Just out of the oven

gallery_27944_2966_37889.jpg

Lunch

gallery_27944_2966_358258.jpg

I've wanted to make Khachapuri for years! What kind of cheese did you use?

My recipe is now on a portable hard drive. Still no new computer, so it might sit there for another week or two before I might be able to try it!

Bill/SFNM, I must have missed it above - how are you getting those temperatures?

Abra:

Wood-burning oven. Here it is moments before baking the above pizza:

You lucky thing Bill....

Was in France over Christmas and called in to the local artisan baker, running 2 wood burning ovens on Christmas Day Morning - what a treat, just to watch. He then pulled, from the back of the oven he had just pulled the Pain de Campagne from, and with a great flourish, the Goose for their dinner!

Friends have just renovated their enormous bread oven in that part of freance and have promised to fire it up for me (a 5 day process) the next time we visit.

Dan

Hi All,

I made a sourdough loaf today. If I made it any larger it wouldn't have fit in my oven. For reference my cutting board measures 16" x 20". I think my wife and I will be eating toast for a week :biggrin:

Just thought I'd share.

Joe

gallery_11725_4212_54516.jpg

Edited by CRUZMISL (log)

I forgot to take a picture of it but I made some great salt-rising bread for a party a couple of weeks ago. I love the flavor of SRB! Who else makes it and has a picture to post?

And if you haven't tried it yet, get the yeast here from King Arthur. It's an experience to make (takes 2-3 days), and doesn't taste like any other bread in the world.