• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

new food

chowchow23

i was wondering if you guys can help me out and give me some ideas for this new food assignment for my food science class since i'm majoring in nutrition and food studies. I have to come up with a new food that's a spin off on something that's available - it can be an old family recipe, etc. However, the new food isn't available on the market and it has to combine two or more ethnic cultures. The professor gave us examples such as spaniko-pizza, it's a take off on pizza with a Greek twist by using phyllo or there were these edi's crisps, which are endamame crisps, it's a take off on glenny's soy crisps. So any ideas or input would be nice, thanks.

No offense, dude, but what do you imagine your professor would think if he knew you were trying to get other people to do your homework for you?

i have an idea about what i'm going to do, i'm just asking for suggestions to see if they're better than mine. you don't have to answer but if you do have an idea, i'm just asking you to share it.

As a student I wouldn't label this as academic dishonesty.

That aside, your assignment is pretty hard-- a lot of restaurants do commonly mix different ethnic dishes to come up with a new one.

Good luck, I'm pretty much drawing a blank when it comes to helping you!

As a student I wouldn't label this as academic dishonesty.

As a professor, I'd say the answer depends on what parameters

the instructor has set up front - has s/he said it's OK to consult others,

to what extent you can consult, (e.g. ask for ideas but develop recipes on yr own,

etc.); how to separate ideas from others (citation and attribution) vs.

your own innovations (you'd want others to give you credit for your

own ideas if they use them, for e.g.).

Assuming it's OK with your instructor to seek help from here,

here's an idea: chhole-pizza, now a routine Indian snack from

street vendors and from desi branches of Pizza hut....

re ingredients and procedures - there are dozens of recipes for chhole

and also for pizza all over the place. anyone who knows anything about

cooking would be able to amalgamate them and generate ingredient lists,

cooking procedures, etc.

Milagai

No offense, dude, but what do you imagine your professor would think if he knew you were trying to get other people to do your homework for you?

Interesting Andrew, I had a recent conversation with Alex Talbot (http://www.ideasinfood.typepad.com/) on the fine line between inspiration and plagiarism. We concluded that anything that came out of a discussion of "ideas" with a 3rd party should be credited. In a funny way, I have had elements of dishes that were so specific they were clearly taken from his site in restaurants all over NYC but the "young creative NY chefs" coincidentally came up with the idea.

Not to stir the pot, there is nothing wrong with asking for help but if this was a term paper or thesis, this would be the defining quote...

how is that academic dishonesty? i'm going to modify and revise the suggestions given into my own

On the subject of food, there is no new food, filo pizza has been done for 20 years as is pizza on a multiplicity of crisp bases

Sorry, chowchow23 mentioned that he already had an idea, he was just looking for ideas that were better than his. And so, in order to facilitate coming up with ideas that were better than his, I thought I'd try to find out what his idea was.

mem

I don't mind helping you. Many, many assignments from my high school and college days were completed with inspiration and input from others. It wasn't plagiarism. I don't remember ever taking someone else's idea and submitting it as my own. I always did my own riff on it. Sometimes taking a peek into others' thought processes can get your own going. And believe me when I say this: there truly is nothing new under the sun. I may have thought of something new and wonderful ten minutes ago, but whatever it is, I can just about guarantee somebody else, somewhere, at some other time, has already thought of it. Ideas evolve. That's part of what makes life so interesting. (Do I need to go into the classic examples of composers writing music based on somebody else's, and painters copying others' works directly, so as to learn the technique? Consider it said, in detail.)

How about starting out with a tamale? I happen to love them. As far as I know, the "outer" portion of this dish is always corn-based (but I'm certainly no expert and I could be wrong), so I'm going to recommend you stick with that, at least for the sake of simplicity. In order to retain the tamale feel, I'd also recommend it be cooked in a corn husk. Just come up with a different filling. This is what I'm not good at -- anticipating how flavors will come together -- so I'll leave that to you. If you want to combine Mexican with Asian, there are lots of possibilities. There are probably some Italian-inspired fillings you could use. Perhaps some Greek flavors would work well. And there's no reason you couldn't combine the corn in the exterior with something else to produce a flavor compatible with the filling.

Then there's ravioli. You could go Asian with that, with both the filling and the sauce.

Could spring rolls contain some Mexican ingredients? Both Asian and Mexican cooking use cilantro. Or how about spring rolls with Caribbean ingredients?

Hope some of this gets your creative juices going. And in case anybody wants to accuse me of stealing ideas from famous restaurants... I doubt it. I don't get out of Wichita much. I may have read about somebody doing somethingorother at some restaurant, but none of the above is a direct steal. But it all could certainly have been inspired by something I read somewhere. That's how creativity works. :wink:

Edited to say: take in a few episodes of Iron Chef. They do stuff like this all the time.

Edited by jgm (log)