• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper Cake

mignardise

Okay, shall I knead in color into the fondant first, then airbrush the copper luster on. Will that give me a more vibrant copper?

Or, don't bother kneading color into the fondant, and just airbrush the heck out of it? meaning..starting with plain white fondant.

And, if the consensus is to knead in color, what's the best colors to use for the primer for COPPER?

Thanks!

You could also just paint it on - mix the copper dust with lemon extract (I like that better than vodka) and paint it on to white or colored fondant. You could play with it first - use a pink, orange or yellow base and see how the color comes up. The downside to painting is the brush strokes (but that might be a plus if you need that silk duiopponi look) - the only way to avoid them is to make the paint a very watery consistency but that might dilute the color you want. You'd probably use a little more dust that way but the color would be just as intense...

And, if the consensus is to knead in color, what's the best colors to use for the primer for COPPER?

Thanks!

not that I've done a ton of metallic, but copper color for copper, warm yellow for gold and grey for silver or platinum work for me.

If you need a fabric texture, try a veined rolling pin then airbrush. Go back with dry color in some areas to give that light-bouncing effect.

I've had to make a lot of metallic cakes.

From personal experience I have found that it actually doesn't matter if you color the fondant

prior to airbrushing the copper (or whatever metallic luster dust) on.

The dust is opaque enough that it really doesn't need the undertoning of the colored fondant at all.

I found this out by accident.

I had always colored my fondant before (gray for silver, brown-yellow for gold, brown-orange for copper, etc), but one time, I was in such a hurry to get a cake out, that I didn't bother coloring the fondant first. It was then I found that the white behaved just the same as the pre-colored.

So, since I am a graduate of the school called, "Work Smart, Not Hard", I eliminated the pre coloring step. It saves me time, and saves on food color too. :smile:

Okay, shall I knead in color into the fondant first, then airbrush the copper luster on. Will that give me a more vibrant copper?

Or, don't bother kneading color into the fondant, and just airbrush the heck out of it? meaning..starting with plain white fondant.

Thanks!

I made a gold cake a couple of years ago. It was covered in marzipan, then brushed with melted cocoabutter and finally brushed with gold dust (from PCB). The marcipan could happily be replaced with fondant and gold with copper

Here's a pic - bear with me, I'm not a pro, so the covereing is a bit bumpy, but you get the idea

gallery_29514_1165_389725.jpg

/Mette