• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wybauw Books & Discussion

jturn00

In my copy (and that of everyone I know) of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Fine Chocolates book, there is an omission that is driving me crazy.

On page 141, in his recipe for Palet d'Or, there are 3 alternative formulas. In the third formula (cream, dark chocolate, invert sugar and butter), there is no quantity specified for the chocolate.

Does anyone have a copy with the amount listed? This seems to be omitted in both the English and French editions.

Brian Ibbotson

Pastry Sous for Production and Menu Research & Development

Sous Chef for Food Safety and Quality Assurance

• 2 months later...

I got a copy of Wybauw's "Fine Chocolates" (the first one) yesterday. It's a beautiful book, but wow, I'm glad I also have Greweling. Some of Wybauw's recipes sound like they will be great, but as a chocolate novice I find the whole book to be incredibly intimidating! The poor translation doesn't help, of course, but there is an awful lot of whitespace on those recipe pages that I think could be put to good use... obviously this is not a book directed at me.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I just purchased Fine Chocolates 2. I was debating whether to get the first one or the second one, and I decided I liked the unique recipes in the second one better. Eventually I will splurge and get the first one too.

I must say that this book is extremely gorgeous. I am so excited to try the recipes out and read the theories all the way through.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Poo. I had both these books in my Amazon shopping cart. The first said "ships in 2-3 weeks" and the 2nd was "currently unavailable". I just got an email saying they can no longer get the first. This doesn't really bode well for the 2nd, does it?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Poo. I had both these books in my Amazon shopping cart. The first said "ships in 2-3 weeks" and the 2nd was "currently unavailable". I just got an email saying they can no longer get the first. This doesn't really bode well for the 2nd, does it?

Looks like you can get volume 1 from Chocolat-chocolat. $89 CDN, but they have it.

I'm tempted. They have them both for $89 and $95 respectively. However Amazon had them priced at $59 and $62, which made it a much easier decision.

I'd buy the cheap one that's available from amazon and the other from C-C.

I'd buy the cheap one that's available from amazon and the other from C-C.

Sadly the cheap one at Amazon has been listed as "temporarily unavailable" for months now. And after getting that email about the other one, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?