• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oktoberfest Fundraiser

Marmish

My neighborhood is having an Oktoberfest to raise funds for renovating the park. I have been tentatively asked to bake desserts to sell. The planning committee initially intended to purchase desserts, but I'm not sure what they were going to buy. I'm trying to work up some suggestions before the next planning meeting. I would be preparing them at home, and am an experienced home baker with a fully equiped home kitchen. I'd like things that wouldn't be too expensive to make, but would be appealing to adults and kids, could be easily individually served, or individually prepackaged somehow.

I'm thinking simple decorated cupcakes for the kids, a german chocolate cake, some bar cookies maybe.

Are there any traditional Oktoberfest desserts, or any fundraiser hits you've had? Any and all suggestions for recipes, cost saving tips, and packaging are welcome.

The most popular sweets you see at Oktoberfest are decorated gingerbread. Like on this website.

Also candied almonds.

I don't think there is anything really special dessert-wise for Oktoberfest, it is more about the beer, grilled sausages and grilled chicken and other meats.

I would make:

Schwartzwaelder Kirschtorte

Apfel Strudel

Sweet pretzels from puff pastry

Lebkuchen

Plum Cake

I have other recipes, but they are in German.

The most popular sweets you see at Oktoberfest are decorated gingerbread. Like on this website.

Also candied almonds.

I don't think there is anything really special dessert-wise for Oktoberfest, it is more about the beer, grilled sausages and grilled chicken and other meats.

I would make:

Schwartzwaelder Kirschtorte

Apfel Strudel

Sweet pretzels from puff pastry

Lebkuchen

Plum Cake

I have other recipes, but they are in German.

Thanks for the links. Strudel is a great suggestion.

I don't think there is anything remotely German about these and they are probably more time consuming than expensive but have you considered pecan tassies? They are easy to serve and my family fights over them when I take them home at the holidays. The recipe is all over the internet.

I don't think there is anything remotely German about these and they are probably more time consuming than expensive but have you considered pecan tassies?  They are easy to serve and my family fights over them when I take them home at the holidays.  The recipe is all over the internet.

Excuse me, but I am German by origin and these are most definitely German dishes, with the exception of the strudel that was invented in Austria, so I don't know what you are talking about.

Pecan tassies are from the Southern United States. And, depending on where you live, pecans can be very expensive.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

QUOTE(Velma @ Sep 4 2006, 11:35 PM)

I don't think there is anything remotely German about these and they are probably more time consuming than expensive but have you considered pecan tassies?  They are easy to serve and my family fights over them when I take them home at the holidays.  The recipe is all over the internet.

Excuse me, but I am German by origin and these are most definitely German dishes, with the exception of the strudel that was invented in Austria, so I don't know what you are talking about.

I think you misunderstood....she was saying she didn't think the Tassies were German...I don't think she was referring to your suggestions. :wink:

Pecan tassies are from the Southern United States. And, depending on where you live, pecans can be very expensive.

I was referring to the pecan tassies not being remotely German, not the items you posted.

This isn't German, but how about Guiness Stout Ginger Cakes baked in mini-bundt pans? (I was thinking Oktoberfest=beer=beer cake. :biggrin: ) These are really good and I don't think there is enough alcohol after baking to worry about not being kid-friendly. It's a real good fall recipe, too, with lots of spices. I make them and give them away at Christmas and they're a big hit.

I would definately consider the decorated gingerbread that swisskaese mentioned above as well as the plum kuchen or maybe an apple version. The kuchen are very traditional and it should also be possible to find recipes which are made in large rectangular pans and can be cut into squares.

Another great German dessert recipe which can be made in squares is "Bienenstich" or Bee Sting Cake. The dough is a sweet yeast-based pastry which has a layer of sugar and sliced almonds which bakes and caramelizes on top of the cake. After baking, the cake is cut in half lengthwise and is filled with a vanilla pastry cream. I've had this many times but have not yet made it at home. The recipe in Mimi Sheraton's "The German Cookbook" looks very good.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"