• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you dip your fries in?

mikelbarnz

I'll dip my fries in just about anything.

Ranch Dressing

Ketchup (naturally)

Tartar sauce

Malt vinegar

Curry

Cheese

Taking a fry and raking along the edge of a big mac so you get a little "special sauce" and a little cheese on the fry is one of life's great un-sung pleasures.

Cocktail sauce

The mind reels with possibility.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I like mine to be served with a blob of mayo and a blob of HP. I don't dip the chip; rather I apply the condiments individually to the chip with a knife. (Yeah, yeah...I have OCD.)

If gravy is available, I might be persuaded to have chips and gravy instead of the mayo/HP routine. Just as a treat, you know...

Edited by Jensen (log)

ketchup mixed with siracha

old bay sprinkled on fries then dipped into good ol' heinz ketchup

If I am having steak frites, I order my steak rare and dip my fries in the jus or press them lightly against the steak. They get soggy and limp, but they have all that delicious meaty goodness on them.

When I was in highschool (which wasn't too long ago) everyone always dipped their fries in a mixture of ketchup and mayo and I thought it was the grossest thing ever. I still haven't tried it, but would definitely give it a go now that my palate has changed for the better.

mcdonald's fries always taste good dipped in sweet n sour, bbq sauce, and honey mustard, never ketchup.

I noticed that a few people mentioned that they put salt on their wendy's fries. Their fries are undersalted compared to mcdonald's and bk.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

When I was diagnosed with late stage cancer, recently, I vowed to eat french fries, for the rest of my life, at any whim! I must have eaten 7 orders of fries in the last month! I even ate french fries with my dessert order at a diner! However, in the last week, I haven't eaten them ONCE. Wah, they are too fried for me right now! I can eat a LOT of dairy fats, let me tell you, but fried foods are just not appealing these days. Damned radiation!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Just a sprinkle of salt.

I'm curious, could anyone tell me how often they eat fries?  Just give a general idea..., anyone?

I prefer just a bit of salt, too. I eat fries about twice a year. However, I prepare fries more often since my husband likes them.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Just a sprinkle of salt.

I'm curious, could anyone tell me how often they eat fries?  Just give a general idea..., anyone?

More often than I care to admit. I probably have the fast food variety twice a month but I make them at home... probably once a week. My local grocery store carries a very cheap off brand of frozen fries that could easily pass for McD's fries. My step-son told his mother that I make the best french fries. :wub:

Just a sprinkle of salt.

Rarely. I make them ocassionally at home, and we seldom eat at fast food places so I don't get them there. Hubby however prefers fries to anything else, and will often ask for them in a restaurant instead of a baked potato.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Just a sprinkle of salt.

Rarely. I make them ocassionally at home, and we seldom eat at fast food places so I don't get them there. Hubby however prefers fries to anything else, and will often ask for them in a restaurant instead of a baked potato.

Thank you and all others who have responded. I can sense an unspoken majority who can eat them n times a week...

Fries plus mayo somehow grosses me out, I would go for any dipping sauce that rinses off some of the fat on fries.

Chick-fil-a's barbecue sauce with a little squeeze from the packet of mayo.

That was the subject of my very first post ever on eG, so it need not be repeated.

Besides, I've been working on a yard sale for three days already, am almost comatose, and don't think I can work myself into a sufficiently orgasmic state right now to do the subject justice. :rolleyes:

Until very recently, I had fries maybe once every couple of months. However, we've recently started playing trivia at a nearby brew pub once a week. Every other week or so, my dinner usually has fries served with it (fish and chips!).

:rolleyes:

Ohh Lord: bearnaise, then mayo, then malt vinegar, then catsup, then nothing at all but sea salt, a nubbin of good butter such as you'd use on any vegetable, and fresh-ground pepper...in order of preference.

Good duck-fat frites can stand alone, to be sure -- but a little decoration such as one of the choices above can gild the lily really, really nicely.

:cool:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

My preference is catsup and tartar sauce together.

My favorite 'story' to date was eating at Le Pichet last month, ordering a side of the frites to go with other things we were having and then me asking for tartar on the side. Unbeknownst to me, the server was the bartender, and he 'whipped up' a small bowl of tartar sauce from 'condiments readily available behind the bar.

He said he did it for friends originally and now does it on a whim when customers ask.

When I was diagnosed with late stage cancer, recently, I vowed to eat french fries, for the rest of my life, at any whim!  Damned radiation!

I wish you well with your prognosis. Sometimes, a major attitude readjustment can work miracles. Kind of brings up the old philosophical argument about quantity of life versus quality.

Then if you remember that old Woody Allen movie (the one where they find a 2000 year old VW Beetle, and it starts right up?), in the future, it is discovered that smoking, fats, cholesterol and all that are good for you!

My mother was diagnosed with late stage ovarian cancer, had a hysterectomy, radiation and all that. That was in 1964. She died of old age in 2001.

Again, my best wishes,

doc

Edited by deltadoc (log)

• 1 month later...

after reading this thread, I was inspired to be adventerous, I sprinkled them with Emeril's essence and dipped them in aged cabernet wine vinegar. It wasn't bad but I think malt vinegar might have been better.

I love to get a great pile of fries, so hot they're burning my fingers, search out all the little crispy salty bits at the bottom of the pile, and dip them in Franks. Slowly. I often eat the crunchy ends off the fries as well and leave the rest...

Sharon Regehr

Maple Hill Farms