• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you dip your fries in?

mikelbarnz

Holy cow... I'd never thought about this before. It really depends on the fries and what they're served with.

Waffle fries... cheeze sauce

Fresh cut... malt vinegar and lots of salt

McDonalds... honey, ketchup, and one or two might find their way into my milk shake

Wendy's... just salt

Crinkle Cut... salt and kechup

Served with steak... steak juice and salt

Coctail sauce when available. Friggin' love coctail sauce.

I don't care for mustard on my fries, I have yet to try aoli, and gravy is better on home fries so I don't really mess with putting it on my fries.

The only place I ever eat French fries are at home

Okay, this explains it.

This thread both enthralled and confused me when I started reading Enthralled because some of the ideas sounded delicious (anything with Sriracha!). But confused because I couldn't imagine where you were getting such choices with your fries. Now I get it.

I don't own a deep fryer and so never make fries at home. I've never tasted a frozen product worth the calories. Am I a snob here?

Wow, Am I the only fry purist who prefers not to smother my fries with any sauce so I could enjoy the steamy hot, crisp potato goodness in all its primordial glory?

If they're perfect, I'm with you. I must admit that one of my favorite brewery pubs serves theirs with a homemade spicy ketchup that is indeed worthy. The mayo-sriracha idea sounds fabulous, actually.

Right now, my favorite dipping sauce for fries is the Peppercorn Sauce that they serve with the A-1 Peppercorn burger at Red Robin.

Its a mixture of mayonaise, A-1, Heinz 57 and fresh Green Peppercorn Sauce concentrate (available on Amazon.com).

Also, there was a restaurant that had a hot wasabi mustard sauce that the fries were great in.

And then there's our homemade canned ketchup made by reducing fresh tomato sauce and whole spices wrapped in a cheesecloth bag (ala Joy of Cooking), sort of!

doc

forgot to add...

in-n-out fries (which can start a revolt with just the mere mention due to how NOT good they are)...must be eaten "animal style" which i learned from another eGulleteer.

animal style = a couple of slices of american cheese on top of the fries, a good sized dollop of the sauce they put on the burgers (sort of like the thousand island "special sauce" from mcd's) and a scoop of diced grilled onions...eaten with a fork

this helps to make up for the substandard (only fried once) fries that in-n-out insists on selling

I was a little surprised not to see this mentioned in the many previous posts, but smooshing a good set of frites through the Bernaise sauce from your steak is a pretty good way to spend an evening. Especially my Bernaise, with capers and pickles chopped in.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'm not much of a fries kind of girl, but this thread brings me back to my days living in Berlin, Germany. They sold ketchup and mayo mixed together in those tubes that look like toothpaste tubes. When you squirted it out, the ketchup and mayo came out in alternating stripes. It looked rediculous and because I really dislike mayo, it also looked quite vile too.

I like mine with mayo, although that seems like too much fat in one sitting. Here in Hanoi, they're served in restaurants with a small dish of soy sauce, and a small dish of sri racha. I usually alternate between the two. Eating French fries with chopsticks makes more sense than you might think.

Totally depends on the fry itself.

McDonald's - tartar sauce and ketchup

Burgerville - ketchup and mustard

Wendy's - chocolate frosty

waffle fries - tartar sauce

homemade spicy fries - sour cream and sweet hot chili sauce

edited after reading lesfen's post to add cheese sauce on Arby's curly fries. Cheese sauce makes anything good. :biggrin:

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Totally depends on the fry itself.

McDonald's - tartar sauce and ketchup

Burgerville - ketchup and mustard

Wendy's - chocolate frosty

waffle fries - tartar sauce

homemade spicy fries - sour cream and sweet hot chili sauce

edited after reading lesfen's post to add cheese sauce on Arby's curly fries. Cheese sauce makes anything good. :biggrin:

Mmmm... cheeze sauce.

Arby's is a whole 'nother story. I usually get potato cakes at Arby's, but if I forget to order them, I dip my fries (curly or homestyle) in Arby's Sauce. Ohhh... Arby's Sauce.

I like mine with salt. But they MUST be crisp. Crunchy crisp. Otherwise there's no point at all in consuming limp languid ones just to have to work off all the ensuing cellulite. Hello-oh.

I apparently lead a sheltered life and I want to thank everyone for enlightening me about sriracha (and all the creative spellings thereof :raz: )

I grew up on dipping my fries in a chocolate milkshake like Wendy's Frosty's.

I love chocolate, I love fries but I can't do 'em together.

Oh yeah, and I love sweet potato fries too.

And on white potato fries, the skinnier the better.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I was a little surprised not to see this mentioned in the many previous posts, but smooshing a good set of frites through the Bernaise sauce from your steak is a pretty good way to spend an evening.  Especially my Bernaise, with capers and pickles chopped in.

There has always been room for a great mayo or bernaise, depending on where we're dining.

Oh, I don't know, Charles - I think I said it way back when... :laugh:

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I grew up on dipping my fries in a chocolate milkshake like Wendy's Frosty's.

Yes, yes, yes! hot and cold, sweet and salty.

Vinegar mostly

Ketchup often (Heinz, please. Did you know that Canadian Heinz has more vinegar than American Heinz? it does at McDonald's, at least. I prefer the more vinegary one, how much of a target market am I :rolleyes:)

Mayo when I can. The Hellman's squeeze bottle in my fridge has a picture of fries on it, which is just torture as I don't make fries at home.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

It might be easier to ask what DON'T I dip my fries in, which would probably be...strawberry jelly.

Depending on where I'm eating them and what condiments are available, I prefer, in order:

1) mayo

2) tartar sauce

3) mustard

4) barbecue sauce

5) white gravy

6) cheese sauce

7) a ketchup/hot sauce combination

8) ordinary ketchup, maybe with some mustard swirled in for color/texture

My daughters saw me poking my fries into my hamburgers with mayo, and now my hamburgers are rendered dry well before the fries run out. I have to keep extra mayo on hand to replenish my hamburger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Cheese sauce makes anything good. :biggrin:

Depends on the cheese sauce.

The orange glop served in the Widener University dining hall is some sort of off-brand orange glop with a weird, slightly metallic/slightly sour aftertaste.

I keep meaning to suggest to the manager of our campus dining service (run by Aramark) that they should switch to a better brand of orange glop--Cheez Whiz if possible, but something other than what they have now.

Not that I'd start liberally ladling it on fries if they did. It's bad enough I'm eating the fries to begin with these days.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I do not think this one has been mentioned yet.

While I enjoy quality, twice cooked fries with salt

only, I have been known to dip them in gravy when

the gravy is decent.

But, my overall favorite has to be the butter and garlic

sauce left or included with shrimp scampi. If u have not

tried it, fries dipped in, coated in, slathered in good butter

and garlic, scampi sauce is thee way.

I once dated a guy who dipped his McDonald's fries in the chocolate sauce of his McDonald's sundae...I married him anyway.

as for me...ketchup with a dash of Tobasco is a thing of beauty on occasion...but I do agree with the posters who say it depends on the fries, to a great extent.

If I have flabby fast food fries I'll empty them into the paper bag the meal came in, squeeze the ketchup packet in, and give it a good shake - evenly coats the fries and makes them (somewhat) edible.

Ketchup, mayo/ketchup or sriacha mixture, malt vinegar, gravy, cheese sauce are all good. But it really depends on the fries:

McD- Honey or their sweet & sour sauce. Or plain, they are always good plain.

BK- Honey or ketchup.

Checkers - Chili cheese fries.

Wendys - Salt, always need salt and ketchup, if not dipped into a Frosty.

Five Guys- Malt vinegar with cajun seasoning and ketchup.

Chick Fil A - Ketchup & mayo, occasionally their Polynesian sauce.

KFC- Ketchup.

Popeyes- Cocktail sauce (they always have that b-cuz of their shrimp baskets !)

Cluck U Chicken - Buffalo wing sauce & blue cheese dressing mixed together. For the fries and the wings !

Arbys - Horsey sauce and/or cheese sauce (Curly fries only for me !)

Various casual dining restaurants - usually just ketchup or the occasional blue cheese dressing.

Homemade - endless variety of dips, as I am always experimenting. Last experiment was thickened teriyaki sauce after I made a teriyaki basted grilled steak..that was really good !

Whew ! That is alo of fast food fries !! But I love fries !

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Mickey D's sweet and sour sauce is always a good one too. Mmmmm. I'm getting hungry now. Do I dare confess that I love those occasionally flabby fries at McDonald's? :rolleyes: The wimpy ones are my faves. I know, I'm sick. My best friend used to make special requests at Wendy's that they double dip her fries and fry them a second time so they were all totally crispy. Totally ruined them in my opinion because I could never find a flabby one in the bunch.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Mickey D's sweet and sour sauce is always a good one too. Mmmmm. I'm getting hungry now. Do I dare confess that I love those occasionally flabby fries at McDonald's?  :rolleyes: The wimpy ones are my faves. I know, I'm sick. My best friend used to make special requests at Wendy's that they double dip her fries and fry them a second time so they were all totally crispy. Totally ruined them in my opinion because I could never find a flabby one in the bunch.

I love the flabby ones and the little stubby brown ones that are saturated with grease. :unsure: