• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you dip your fries in?

mikelbarnz

What is curry sauce?

I just make a curry "gravy" with curry powder, diced onion, and chicken stock, thickened with slurry for french fries. We had this for the first time while touring England in the 70s. When you order fish'n'chips in the shops, you can have curry gravy with it. It is delcious! :wub: I like to dip both the fish and the chips in this.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

In Utah it is a heresy to use anything other than "Fry sauce"...........a mayo ketchup mix. Each fast food place has their own "closely guarded secret" :wacko: fry sauce, and each claims to have "invented" the concept.

I have grown to accept and even like it, though of an occasion I prefer hollandaise, mustard, mayonaise, or even rochambeau or colbert sauce.

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

Wow, Am I the only fry purist who prefers not to smother my fries with any sauce so I could enjoy the steamy hot, crisp potato goodness in all its primordial glory?

If I have to have something on my fries, I also enjoy them with mustard, gravy (poutine-style) or a cheddar cheese sauce. A lttle malt vinegar isn't bad either. Actually most if not all of the suggestions above sound good. So long as the fries are good, fresh and hot, my preference remains no topping other than some salt. The one topping I never choose though is ketchup. Like Mizducky, I tend to find it too sweet and it really obliterates the fry for me.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Yeah, Doc, I'm afraid you're a statistical outlier.

Though I've been known to enjoy fries with nothing on 'em but Old Bay. Old Bay fries are a nice change of pace.

(And I did have some really good "Cajun fries" at a little New Orleans place in Chester that I wrote about on the Pennsylvania board. Look for the post titled "De' Essence of New Orleans: Cajun. Creole. Chester?")

My favorite fry dip is ketchup and mustard (traditional yellow or spicy brown) mixed together.

But I've also dipped 'em in mayo (plain and seasoned), A1 Sauce, and Heinz 57 Sauce.

And I'm going to have to try some of the other concoctions posted on this thread as well. Especially that "five red sauce."

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Wow, Am I the only fry purist who prefers not to smother my fries with any sauce so I could enjoy the steamy hot, crisp potato goodness in all its primordial glory?

If I have to have something on my fries, I also enjoy them with mustard, gravy (poutine-style) or a cheddar cheese sauce. A lttle malt vinegar isn't bad either. Actually most if not all of the suggestions above sound good. So long as the fries are good, fresh and hot, my preference remains no topping other than some salt. The one topping I never choose though is ketchup. Like Mizducky, I tend to find it too sweet and it really obliterates the fry for me.

No, you are not.

I've been known to use a bit of ketchup if I've gotten stuck with some really bad fries that need something to mask how awful they are. But with good fries, I want them either plain or with a dash of malt vinegar.

That said, I would like to try that curry sauce at some point. So far, I haven't run into it.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I grew up with just plain ketchup, but learned to enjoy good fries with salt alone. Then when I got to England, I discovered vinegar -- and I really miss it. They sell vinegar in the supermarkets with the union jack emblazoned upon the bottles but damnit, that's just not the real thing. You drizzle it carefully over your chips, put your face over 'em and gently inhale -- if your nostrils have a seizure, yeah you got the real thing. That's proper vinegar, baby. Nothing like it.

The whole mayo thing sounds a little narly, but still kinda interesting, but I'm not sure if plain mayo would be that great -- maybe some remoulade...

In vague order of preference:

A little salt on some duck fat fries

Mayo

Sriracha

Mustard of some sort

Gravy

Cheese

Curry sauce

Malt vinegar

HP sauce

Ranch dressing

Ketchup

I have lately found that a little thinned-out-with-soy-sauce kochujang is nice too. Beyond this list, I will try any condiment available. I love condiments.

Jennie

Ketchup or a chocolate milkshake/frosty when out. At home, a mixture of equal parts mustard and sour cream with chopped garlic and chili flakes. I like to make home fries with lots of onions and red peppers and then pour that stuff over top. Wow, I'm hungry now.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

I grew up on dipping my fries in a chocolate milkshake like Wendy's Frosty's. I also love a good mustard. If I'm having fried fish at the same time I like to sprinkle (ok, drench) the whole combo in malt vinegar. The only "fries" I eat with ketchup are the waffle fries at Chick-fil-A and then I use a whole lot of salt too.

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine