• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you dip your fries in?

mikelbarnz

I sat down today to my fast food burger of choice (Whataburger, double meat, cheese, bacon, and jalapeno mmmmmmmmm) and as I reflexly mixed up my fry dip of choice, I started wondering, what do people dip their fries in? Ketchup, mayo aioli, etc. Other that the classic Belgian frites with mayonaise, are there regional differences, both international and in the states?

Oh, and to start things off, mayonaise and siracha :biggrin:

Edited by mikelbarnz (log)

After a lifetime of ketchup, in the last two years I've started enjoying a mustard dip for my fries.

There has always been room for a great mayo or bernaise, depending on where we're dining.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

"alana's special five red sauce" is what my husband has dubbed my dip of choice...just mix, to taste of course, anywhere from three to seven red sauces which happen to be in the fridge and dip away.

usually including the following:

ketchup

sriracha

thai sweet chili sauce

tobasco

frank's red hot

etc.

and of course, this is not limited to fries!

"alana's special five red sauce" is what my husband has dubbed my dip of choice...just mix, to taste of course, anywhere from three to seven red sauces which happen to be in the fridge and dip away.

usually including the following:

ketchup

sriracha

thai sweet chili sauce

tobasco

frank's red hot

etc.

and of course, this is not limited to fries!

Sounds vaguely like my recipe for cocktail sauce: ketchup, fish sauce, siracha, horseradish, lime, and honey. Right on top of a shucked gulf oyster and ...slurp.

I have a LOT of favorite dips for fries: any soup, any vinegar, a reduction of red wine and butter, hummous tahine, A1 Steak Sauce(OK, I haven't done that in years, but I USED to!),green hot sauce, chimichurri sauce or home made gravy-any kind!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

My favorite growing up was honey on MCD fries, now I prefer ranch or a cajun ranch, BBQ, nacho cheese, or like everyone else sriacha. As a kid I would also dip my fries in my ice cream cone, now thats classic. Although I live near Canada, please no vinegar on my fries, and whats with canadian fries always being soggy?

ketchup and mayo, a dollop of each touching each other on the plate (or grasy paper bag), so i can have a dip of one of the other or both swirled together.

oh, and salt AND pepper.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

GRAVY

at the diner in NJ

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The only place I ever eat French fries are at home and I cut large steak fries from Idaho potatoes. I parboil them and then fry them or bake them and cover with sausage gravy or melted cheddar cheese…sometimes both. I make a meal out of them.

Edited by Jim Charles (log)

1. Cream gravy (with lots of pepper)

2. Barbecue sauce (preferably Rudy's)

Although I must add, after having my first Whataburger in quite awhile (onions and mustard, no pickles) last weekend, plain old ketchup on the fries was pretty darn good.

1.  Cream gravy (with lots of pepper)

2.  Barbecue sauce (preferably Rudy's)

Although I must add, after having my first Whataburger in quite awhile (onions and mustard, no pickles) last weekend, plain old ketchup on the fries was pretty darn good.

Whataburger would NEVER serve "plain old ketchup"! They serve FANCY ketchup. Says so right on the label :)

now that just sounds delicious! i'd happily forego my five red sauce for a plateful of those!

The only place I ever eat French fries are at home and I cut large steak fries from Idaho potatoes. I parboil them and then fry them or bake them and cover with sausage gravy or melted cheddar cheese…sometimes both. I make a meal out of them.

Mustard. Any kind of mustard. Preferably spicy brown, but even yellow ballpark mustard wins out over ketchup every time.

I'm one of those wackos who puts mustard on my burgers too. In fact, I majorly avoid ketchup whenever I can--just way too sweet for my taste preferences.

Oh yeah--if malt vinegar is available, I'll sometimes use that instead of mustard. But only sometimes. Mustard is just one of my favorite condiments in the universe altogether.

Edited by mizducky (log)

gravy. Preferaby real beef gravy. French fries and gravy were a staple of my teen years and I still order them whenever I can.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.