• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little blue plums

Sugarella

In the backyard where I rent there is a gorgeous plum tree. These plums are deep blue skinned with the usual whitish cast over top, (think blueberry) and the flesh inside is pale green. The largest of them isn't even as big as a golf ball.... they're very similar size-wise to the yellow plums you see occasionally.

I was assuming of course that these were regular purple plums that just hadn't fully ripened yet, but they're falling from the tree already. I ate several and they don't really seem underripe at all, although they're different than regular plums. Taste wise they're more like a cross between a plum and a sour grape; very sweet and slightly tart. The texture inside is soft, but not as soft as a usual ripe plum. The flesh is quite moist like a ripe fruit should be.

Sorry that I can't provide a picture, but would you suspect these plums are ripe by now, or are they just falling from the tree prematurely? I've never come across such little blue plums so I'm not sure if they're right just the way they are.

Any ideas??

And.... any ideas for preserving them? Never made plum jam before.

Are they Damsons?

Of so myiad of uses: pies, jam, pickles, Tkamaly (a sauce from Georgia), Damson Cheese, Damson Gin, etc etc Just not good for eating raw.

Here are Damsons on my tree

i466.jpg

Tkemaly Sauce

1.5 kg of damsons

50-70 ml of water

1 head of garlic

1 tea spoon of red hot pepper

50g of fresh coriander

50g of fresh dill

10g of fresh mint

1 table spoon of salt

Slice damsons in two halves, put them into a stainless steel pan, add water and simmer stirring slowly

until peels start separating. After that put damsons in small portions to a colander and grate the mass to

separate peels and seeds. Remaining smooth mass put back into the pan and simmer stirring constantly

until it reaches required density (similar to the density of single creame).

Add crushed garlic, pepper and herbs (thinly cut) and simmer 3-5 minutes.

Cool it down (below room temperature) and serve with Shashlyk (or any other meat dishes).

"These plums are deep blue skinned with the usual whitish cast over top, (think blueberry) and the flesh inside is pale green. I was assuming of course that these were regular purple plums that just hadn't fully ripened yet, but they're falling from the tree already. I ate several and they don't really seem underripe at all, although they're different than regular plums. Taste wise they're more like a cross between a plum and a sour grape; very sweet and slightly tart. The texture inside is soft, but not as soft as a usual ripe plum. The flesh is quite moist like a ripe fruit should be."

"And.... any ideas for preserving them? Never made plum jam before."

Other than the size, they sound exactly like Italian plums -- also called prune plums. Italian plums are oval shaped and probably the size of 1 1/2 golf balls. Perhaps the difference in size is the difference between the product of commercial agriculture and a backyard tree.

If your heart is set on making plum jam, I can't help you. However, I can recommend an excellent recipe for a plum cake that delivers much more taste and sophistication than the easy steps would indicate.

Marian Burros is the author of a cookbook called ELEGANT BUT EASY. Until Julia Child burst upon the scene and taught all of us how to cook French food, many of us learned our first elegant cooking from this cookbook. I think I got the recipe from my original edition of ELEGANT BUT EASY, but a web search refers to the recipe as appearing in the NY TIMES since 1983. If you go to Epicurious.com you'll find the recipe.

Indy 67

Are they Damsons?

i466.jpg

Yup that's exactly them! The tree, its leaves, the plums are all exactly the same. Thanks for clearing that up; I've never heard of these before. I'll try your recipe..... you know I was thinking, "Hmmmm.... firm tart yet sweet fruit.....must go with meat somehow." Thanks for posting the recipe.

Other than the size, they sound exactly like Italian plums -- also called prune plums. Italian plums are oval shaped and probably the size of 1 1/2 golf balls. Perhaps the difference in size is the difference between the product of commercial agriculture and a backyard tree.

If your heart is set on making plum jam, I can't help you. However, I can recommend an excellent recipe for a plum cake that delivers much more taste and sophistication than the easy steps would indicate.

Marian Burros is the author of a cookbook called ELEGANT BUT EASY. Until Julia Child burst upon the scene and taught all of us how to cook French food, many of us learned our first elegant cooking from this cookbook. I think I got the recipe from my original edition of ELEGANT BUT EASY, but a web search refers to the recipe as appearing in the NY TIMES since 1983. If you go to Epicurious.com you'll find the recipe.

Indy 67

I know what you mean by Italian plums and I'm not sure these are them.... these are perfectly round like the ones in jackal's picture. I'm not necessarily set on making jam, it's just that the tartness almost reminded me of gooseberry so I figured a tart fruit might make a nice jam. There are a bazillion of these plums so I have enough to do several different things with them. I think I'll try preserving a couple of jars of them in straight armagnac too, uncooked. We'll see what happens.

I tried looking on epicurious and couldn't find the recipe you were referring to..... could you point me in the right direction please??

On another note..... this is the first summer I've lived at this place and just noticed the neighbour kiddie corner to us has an (approximately) 30' tall pear tree that has branches drooping from the weight of the fruit. How do you suppose I walk over there, newly introducing myself, and convince said neighbour to give me some pears!? :biggrin:

Gift basket of alcohol? Handful of cold hard cash?? :laugh:

"I tried looking on epicurious and couldn't find the recipe you were referring to..... could you point me in the right direction please??"

If you put the words "Marian Burros" into the search window on the home page of Epicurious.com, you'll bring up two recipes. The first one is "Plum Torte." If you put "Plum Torte" into the search window, you'll bring up one recipe. Both are the recipe I recommend.

Indy 67

I am majorly envious of your plum tree. The little Damsons are my favorite plum in the whole universe, and now that you mention it I've yet to see them in any of the markets I shop in San Diego. I grew up just eating them as-is out of hand, no cooking, no sweetening, nuthin' but plum. No other variety of plum turns me on quite like these little guys.