• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Writers in the Blogsphere

tvfoodie

Who are the best food writers on the web?

It seems like most food criticism these days is happening on blogs and internet forums like this one, rather than in newspaper columns. But who do you guys think is the best of the best based in the UK?

I love Chez Pim. Eating at 23 Michelin stars in the space of about six weeks is unbelievable - I want that life! Are there others who deserve notice?

Thanks!

It seems like most food criticism these days is happening on blogs and internet forums like this one, rather than in newspaper columns. But who do you guys think is the best of the best based in the UK? 

I love  Chez Pim.  Eating at 23 Michelin stars in the space of about six weeks is unbelievable - I want that life!  Are there others who deserve notice? 

Thanks!

You have to remember most food writers in newspapers/magazines are just passing through or doing it in addition to writing a novel or other stuff for the paper. The bloggers are in it for love and unlike the press critics, aren't trying to be clever or get noticed.

As to the best? Blimey there are so many, how on earth can you be sure you've read em all?

S

Edited by sunbeam (log)

Ok well, if best is impossible to tell, then how about some favourites... C

I love  Chez Pim.  Eating at 23 Michelin stars in the space of about six weeks is unbelievable - I want that life!  Are there others who deserve notice? 

Thanks!

You have to remember most food writers in newspapers/magazines are just passing through or doing it in addition to writing a novel or other stuff for the paper. The bloggers are in it for love and unlike the press critics, aren't trying to be clever or get noticed.

As to the best? Blimey there are so many, how on earth can you be sure you've read em all?

S

I'd like to shamelessly plug one of the Daily Gullet's regular writers, Tim Hayward. -- he's terrific, online or in print. Check out Coffee Man and I'm a Little Teapot from Daily Gullet archives. His own site is likewise a literary treat: Fire & Knives.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

This reminds me of the article that Dublin eGulleteer Corinna Dunne (aka Corinna Hardgrave) wrote for the Irish Times where she mentioned this blog by Louisa Chu, another eGulleteer. If you're reading this Corinna, I have to say I've enjoyed reading all your pieces in the Irish times, but it was the one on El Bulli that made me feel very, very envious.

Edited by rajsuman (log)

This reminds me of the article that Dublin eGulleteer Corinna Dunne (aka Corinna Hardgrave) wrote for the Irish Times where she mentioned this blog by Louisa Chu, another eGulleteer. If you're reading this Corinna, I have to say I've enjoyed reading all your pieces in the Irish times, but it was the one on El Bulli that made me feel very, very envious.

Thanks so much...

Unfortunately I can't link to the piece as the Irish Times requires a subscription for most stories. I particularly enjoyed Eddie Lin's live octupus tentacle eating in Deep End Dining and mentioned Gastroville's elBulli v Can Roca post as a terrifying example of culinary constructive criticism. Naturally Pim got a mention.

edited to add:

A bit off topic, but I should mention that Suman’s very flattering enthusiasm may be partly influenced by our recent meeting for a piece I did on Indian food. I had been impressed by her knowledge on eGullet, but she is unbelievable in person. I had an incredible lesson in Indian cooking!

Now we sound like a pair of sycophants!

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

Do you know Francis Bown? He is not a food writer really and his website is not really a blog. But I tremendously enjoy reading the snobberies of this arch-British gentleman who also writes about bespoke clothing on another website. His restaurant reviews often involve a luxury hotel where he arrives in his Royce, he will hardly ever say something negative about food, wine or service. Instead. his reports read like the diary of somebody who is permanently splashing out and is not to shy to let the world know about it. Check this one out ---

http://www.bownsbest.com/