• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Places

George W.

One of the other Topics got into new places and "the word on the street" so I will add my contribution (I am certainly not on "the street" but it sounds impressive.)

Trevor Wilkinson is opening Trevor Kitchen and Bar at 38 Wellington E. This most recently was Bouchon and Trevor was the Executive Chef at Lobby and Jump.

It appears Wolfgang Puck Gourmet Restaurant is going into The Colonnade, 131 Bloor W. - I understand it might be in the current Dynasty space.

I am sorry but my total knowledge of the new place is in the post - except, I guess, they have applied for a Liquor Licence (Wednesday's Toronto Star). Which Puck outlet would you consider to be in the "upscale" catagory - I am not trying to be funny, I am not familiar with his entire empire.

Spago is THE most upscale of his restaurants. There isn't anything "more upscale" beyond Spago. I'm quite certain it will not be a Spago. Not that it matters, as the only one that performs as a fine dining restaurant is his flagship in Beverly Hills -- and that's only because he is fortunate to have a phenomenal co-owner AND chef that actually remains in the kitchen and cooks in Lee Hefter.

• 4 weeks later...
Trevor Wilkinson is opening Trevor Kitchen and Bar at 38 Wellington E.  This most recently was Bouchon and Trevor was the Executive Chef at Lobby and Jump.

walked by last night, still a sign on the door advertising that he's looking for staff (mostly front of house if I remember correctly?). Door was locked, didn't get to go in and check out the space.

I apologize if this is common knowledge; Mark McEwan is opening a restaurant in a condo/hotel going up in Yorkville. The opening is estimated to be 8-12 months distant. No word on who the chef will be other than it'll probably be someone from within. Interestingly enough, the restaurant will be responsible for 24-hour room service to the hotel, including lunch, dinner...and breakfast. The focus of the restaurant will be similar to North 44 and Bymark -- "contemporary international", as it was described to me. The hotel in question is currently going up and is "basically across from Rain".

please let me know if I'm posting old news :)

I apologize if this is common knowledge; Mark McEwan is opening a restaurant in a condo/hotel going up in Yorkville.  The opening is estimated to be 8-12 months distant.  No word on who the chef will be other than it'll probably be someone from within.  Interestingly enough, the restaurant will be responsible for 24-hour room service to the hotel, including lunch, dinner...and breakfast.  The focus of the restaurant will be similar to North 44 and Bymark -- "contemporary international", as it was described to me.  The hotel in question is currently going up and is "basically across from Rain".

but rain is nowhere near Yorkville.

www.azurerestaurant.ca

I apologize if this is common knowledge; Mark McEwan is opening a restaurant in a condo/hotel going up in Yorkville.  The opening is estimated to be 8-12 months distant.  No word on who the chef will be other than it'll probably be someone from within.  Interestingly enough, the restaurant will be responsible for 24-hour room service to the hotel, including lunch, dinner...and breakfast.  The focus of the restaurant will be similar to North 44 and Bymark -- "contemporary international", as it was described to me.  The hotel in question is currently going up and is "basically across from Rain".

but rain is nowhere near Yorkville.

Hehe . . I bet he means Flow . . .

Trevor Wilkinson is opening Trevor Kitchen and Bar at 38 Wellington E.  This most recently was Bouchon and Trevor was the Executive Chef at Lobby and Jump.

there's now a sign on the door advertising their grand opening, Tues 10 Oct, 4pm-close. It also says they're taking reservations, (416)941-9410, and that they're open Tues-Sat 4pm-closing.

their website is also listed: http://www.trevorkitchenandbar.com.

• 2 weeks later...

there's a place going in at 409 College (SW corner at Lippincott). The awning says Viva Tastings. It also says "Foodie Destination". I didn't know the word was in sufficiently common use to put on permanent signage...

anyone know anything about it? The windows are covered with paper and there's a LLBO application notice that says comments should be in before Nov 4 (new sale licence + indoor area + outdoor area), so I assume their opening is slated for sometime after that.

there was a sign that mentioned something about a John Bent, but ChefDB doesn't know the name...

• 4 months later...

about Viva Tastings, I was by there today, apparently they were originally a catering company that then got a stall at SLM, and now they've opened this, their first retail location.

the business is still primarily catering, but they now have classes, local/artisanal ingredients (Thuet breads, for example), and some eat-in; the latter is mainly to promote their gourmet take-away, which is the same stuff. They're also LLBO "so you can enjoy a glass of wine while you shop"...which strikes me as odd, because it's not exactly a big store nor a lengthy shopping experience.

Speaking of new places I walked home and it would appear that after some time Spinnello has been re done on Colborne street. Anyone been? I wonder if they kept the Pizza's that were always good.

The bar looks pretty cool.

Also, as I got further up the street there appeared to be another new place. I checked this new place's website and there is no menu and when I walked by, no menu outside that I could see. This really annoys me about Toronto (places with no menu's outside). Gotta love the laws in France that require this!!

officially left egullet....

Also, as I got further up the street there appeared to be another new place.  I checked this new place's website and there is no menu and when I walked by, no menu outside that I could see.

can you link to the website? I'd like to know more about this new place.

I forget if it's open yet, but I think Claudio Aprile took over the space on Colborne that used to be Cafe du Marché...same location or another one?

And the food at Six Steps is very good. A great, casual after work place for drinks and food.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Joanne Kates gave Claudio Aprile's new restaurant Colborne Lane a great review today.  Anyone tried it out yet?  Anything in particular to try?

She's reviewing this restaurant after it opened for only about 3 weeks!

Joanne Kates gave Claudio Aprile's new restaurant Colborne Lane a great review today.  Anyone tried it out yet?  Anything in particular to try?

Just wondering who is Joanne Kates?

Not tried it yet although walk by it every day. I have this thing about not being able to see the menu before I walk in and I hate having to ask for one at the enterance and then turning around and walking out.

Just wondering who is Joanne Kates?

Not tried it yet although walk by it every day. I have this thing about not being able to see the menu before I walk in and I hate having to ask for one at the enterance and then turning around and walking out.

Joanne Kates reviews for the Globe and Mail. A link to her review can be found here. The article should be viewable for about a week and then it's locked up for members only.

Joanne Kates reviews for the Globe and Mail. A link to her review can be found here. The article should be viewable for about a week and then it's locked up for members only.

Thanks. I am glad you posted that link since the place is just not want I am into right now. This may change. Pehaps I will have a drink at the bar and see the inside as I loved Kultura's space and this sounds similar.