• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Consistently Show Stopping Food - NYC

rich

Based on a discussion in another thread this subject came up. What are the consistently show stopping food spots that have a more relaxed atmosphere - yet still have top tier surroundings? It's a difficult category. I'll go first.

(by the alphabet)

Cru

Devi

Eleven Madison Park

Gramercy Tavern

WD-50

Honorable Mention goes to Blue Hill at Stone Barns because it's outside the city limits, otherwise it would top the list.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

as seen above, any of the better Danny Meyer or Meyer-esque restaurants.

that's sort of the category by definition.

Aquavit on its best days.

Sneakeater: would you put Robuchon in this category?

Edited by Nathan (log)

as seen above, any of the better Danny Meyer or Meyer-esque restaurants.

that's sort of the category by definition.

Aquavit on its best days.

Sneakeater: would you put Robuchon in this category?

Thanks Nathan, that's one I fogot to add. Aquavit is a terrific choice. The Bar Room at Modern is one I want to check out. The meal I had at the formal restaurant was mixed.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

The first couple of times I tried L'Impero, I felt that way, but haven't been back for a while. Can anyone chime in on that?

I wonder if Gramercy Tavern still can be considered "show-stopping" for it's food?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'll go with Prune and Sushi Seki

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Sushi Yasuda, although whether the surroundings are considered top-tier might be debatable. I would argue yes.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...
Based on a discussion in another thread this subject came up. What are the consistently show stopping food spots that have a more relaxed atmosphere - yet still have top tier surroundings? It's a difficult category.

Honorable Mention goes to Blue Hill at Stone Barns because it's outside the city limits, otherwise it would top the list.

I find the food at Blue Hill in Manhattan to be as good as that up at Stone Barns, but I don't order from the menu and when I reserve, they know they will just feed me whatever they choose. If anything, Blue Hill in Manhattan is more relaxed, or at least less formal, than up at Stone Barns. Stone Barns with its architecture and farm, is the more fabulous evening.

WD-50 is the other "relaxed atmosphere" restaurant in NYC that I consider a "destination" worthy of the attention given to the more formal top places in the city. Show stopping to me, means more than just "good food" or even very good food. The food must be noteworthy.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Based on a discussion in another thread this subject came up. What are the consistently show stopping food spots that have a more relaxed atmosphere - yet still have top tier surroundings? It's a difficult category.

I find the food at Blue Hill in Manhattan to be as good as that up at Stone Barns, but I don't order from the menu and when I reserve, they know they will just feed me whatever they choose. If anything, Blue Hill in Manhattan is more relaxed, or at least less formal, than up at Stone Barns. Stone Barns with its architecture and farm, is the more fabulous evening.

WD-50 is the other "relaxed atmosphere" restaurant in NYC that I consider a "destination" worthy of the attention given to the more formal top places in the city. Show stopping to me, means more than just "good food" or even very good food. The food must be noteworthy.

I agree Bux - with all three places.

When I went to Stone Barns, I thought the food was simply over the top. It reached a level that I have rarely had the pleasure to experience. And while I think the food at BH in Manhattan is outstanding, it never reached that level.

Maybe if I made the reservation under your name, I would get to experience your meal. Let me know when your not going and I'll call. :laugh:

Rich Schulhoff

The first couple of times I tried L'Impero, I felt that way, but haven't been back for a while.  Can anyone chime in on that?

I wonder if Gramercy Tavern still can be considered "show-stopping" for it's food?

I would agree on L'Impero as well as on Cru.

I would also add Veritas to the list.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point