• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A: Confectionery 101

Kerry,

you mentioned tempering chocolate.  Is there a previous class or something else you can recommend that has good instructions and pictures for tempering newbies?  Is tempering bittersweet going to be different than tempering milk chocolate? 

As you can tell from my questions, I have no experience here, but would be curious to try this.

Lauren

Lauren,

I'll link you to a demo I did a while back on tempering milk chocolate here. For bittersweet chocolate you cool it to 27 C (81 F), and heat back up to a working temperature of 29 to 31 C (84 to 88 F). This is just one way of tempering, there are several other techniques you can use depending on the equipment you have and amount you want to temper.

Excellent instructions can be found in Elaine Gonzalez (eG's own Chocartist) wonderful book The Art of Chocolate (if you are really lucky you can find a copy of her out of print 'Chocolate Artistry' which is just cram packed with excellent techniques and ideas).

If you benefit from seeing things rather than reading about them you may want to have a look at my website for DVD's about working with chocolate.

Thanks so much for the link.

Do you need to use the heat gun to get back to working temperature or can I use another method? I read through the entire thread but was still unclear.

I am looking forward to trying thisso I can cover some treats with chocolate. So far the only covering I have used was a ganache, which is suprisingly easy to make and use.

Lauren

Lauren

Kerry,

you mentioned tempering chocolate.  Is there a previous class or something else you can recommend that has good instructions and pictures for tempering newbies?  Is tempering bittersweet going to be different than tempering milk chocolate? 

As you can tell from my questions, I have no experience here, but would be curious to try this.

Lauren

Lauren,

I'll link you to a demo I did a while back on tempering milk chocolate here. For bittersweet chocolate you cool it to 27 C (81 F), and heat back up to a working temperature of 29 to 31 C (84 to 88 F). This is just one way of tempering, there are several other techniques you can use depending on the equipment you have and amount you want to temper.

Excellent instructions can be found in Elaine Gonzalez (eG's own Chocartist) wonderful book The Art of Chocolate (if you are really lucky you can find a copy of her out of print 'Chocolate Artistry' which is just cram packed with excellent techniques and ideas).

If you benefit from seeing things rather than reading about them you may want to have a look at my website for DVD's about working with chocolate.

Thanks so much for the link.

Do you need to use the heat gun to get back to working temperature or can I use another method? I read through the entire thread but was still unclear.

I am looking forward to trying thisso I can cover some treats with chocolate. So far the only covering I have used was a ganache, which is suprisingly easy to make and use.

Lauren

Instead of a heat gun you can put the chocolate back in the microwave for a few seconds at a time. I would suggest not heating for more than about 5 seconds at a time, stir well between heating and let the thermometer sit in the chocolate until you are sure of the temperature.

or you can use a hairdryer if the concern is that you don't have a heat gun.

So true, I was really impressed by the heat put out by Anna N's little hair dryer when we were tempering last week.

Kerry, thanks for the course! I have a question about the almond butter crunch. Do you wait till it is completely cooled before dusting it with cocoa powder?

Yes I do. Generally I make the candy one day and coat it the next. Once completely cool you will likely notice a fine film of oil on the surface and that is what you are trying to mop up with the cocoa powder. Would it matter if you dusted while still warm? I'm not sure, but you can't put the tempered chocolate on until cool anyway, so I'd probably wait.

Kerry, I have a question about sugar. Do you have a preference between cane sugar and  beet sugar?

Nope, I use what they sell at the supermarket. It is made from either cane or beet, depending on the market conditions and they do not differentiate on the label.

Kerry, I just made a batch of the butter crunch and as I chew into it there's a tendency for it to stick to my teeth. I think I may have let the temperature get too high. Would that have something to do with it? I really appreciate your taking the time to answer our questions.

Edited by sheetz (log)

Kerry, I just made a batch of the butter crunch and as I chew into it there's a tendency for it to stick to my teeth. I think I may have let the temperature get too high. Would that have something to do with it? I really appreciate your taking the time to answer our questions.

Maybe the temperature was a bit too low if it is sticking to your teeth. Does it seem sticky at all? How humid was your place today? One other thought, did you make it today or did it have a chance to sit overnight?

Maybe the temperature was a bit too low if it is sticking to your teeth.  Does it seem sticky at all?  How humid was your place today?  One other thought, did you make it today or did it have a chance to sit overnight?

No it doesn't seem sticky. I made it today so I'll let it sit overnight and see what happens. It rained a bit yesterday but today was clear and dry.

Kerry, thanks for the lollipop update. I have a question regarding when to add flavoring and color: Do you think it would be appropriate/possible to add the few drops of flavoring/color to the syrup right at the end of boiling, before shocking the pan so that the boiling action can stir for you, thus lessening the possibility of crystallization?

Kerry, thanks for the lollipop update.  I have a question regarding when to add flavoring and color:  Do you think it would be appropriate/possible to add the few drops of flavoring/color to the syrup right at the end of boiling, before shocking the pan so that the boiling action can stir for you, thus lessening the possibility of crystallization?

You likely could, but the extra heat might vapourize your flavouring so you would need more, or change the flavour somewhat due to heat breakdown.

Costs very little to try a side by side comparison.

I made the caramel this morning. Its still really soft after about 4 hours. Is it suposed to be like this or is it going to get harder by tomorrow? THe little bit that I put in a seperate bowl with some granny smith apples tasted fantastic. :)

I made the caramel this morning. Its still really soft after about 4 hours. Is it suposed to be like this or is it going to get harder by tomorrow? THe little bit that I put in a seperate bowl with some granny smith apples tasted fantastic. :)

Once cool it's probably not going to get much firmer. Perhaps checking your thermometer, or going a couple of degrees higher next batch.

ahh ok. Will try going a couple degrees higher next time then. It still tastes really really awesome though. Its really malleable so I stretched some of it and used it to cover some marshmallows and apples. Yum. :)

ahh ok. Will try going a couple degrees higher next time then. It still tastes really really awesome though. Its really malleable so I stretched some of it and used it to cover some marshmallows and apples. Yum. :)

Try taking the marshmallows you covered it with and dipping them in tempered chocolate. It is the best!!!

Holy smackeroonies!

I made my very first batch of soft caramel. This stuff is good!! I just finished pouring into the pan (I had to use a metal non-stick pan, as it was all I had. I oiled it for extra protection, but then I also lined it with aluminium foil (also oiled)--was this a mistake?).

I'm now licking (chewing?) the extra bits off my spatula and will move onto the pot next. This stuff is GOOD!! (Did I say that already? :smile: ) I hope there aren't too many calories in these, because I ain't sharing!!

I also got some brown streaks in mine, but they don't appear to be hard bits. We shall see what happens tomorrow when I cut into them. I might not actually cut them up, but I may just eat them from the pan with a fork and knife. :wub:

Holy smackeroonies!

I made my very first batch of soft caramel.  This stuff is good!!  I just finished pouring into the pan (I had to use a metal non-stick pan, as it was all I had.  I oiled it for extra protection, but then I also lined it with aluminium foil (also oiled)--was this a mistake?).

I'm now licking (chewing?) the extra bits off my spatula and will move onto the pot next.  This stuff is GOOD!!  (Did I say that already?  :smile: )  I hope there aren't too many calories in these, because I ain't sharing!!

I also got some brown streaks in mine, but they don't appear to be hard bits.  We shall see what happens tomorrow when I cut into them.  I might not actually cut them up, but I may just eat them from the pan with a fork and knife.  :wub:

I suspect it might stick to the foil. I know if it does it will be challenging to get off. I probably would just go with the oiled non stick pan next time. Let us know if the dark bits taste ok and whether they are harder at all.

No calories in chocolate or caramel if you eat it standing up.

Sigh! :wub:

These caramels are going to be the death of me! I already have high triglycerides!

The foil didn't stick at all! Well, just a teeny bit in one of the corners, but even that came off easily when I picked at it for a bit.

I ate one of the pieces that had a dark bit, but it was fine--no crunchiness or hardness in there, and no odd flavour, either. Perfect! I think I just lucked out this time.

There was a bit of hard stuff stuck to my pot, but just along the outskirts of the bottom, not in the middle, so I think I managed to avoid scraping it into my pan.

Question: It's quite cool right now in japan (it's 15 C in my apartment), and the caramels are keeping their shape so far. Since it's probably going to stay cool (or perhaps get even cooler), would it be OK if I didn't wrap them? They're perfect right now, but I'm wondering if they'll start spreading eventually.

Sigh!  :wub:

These caramels are going to be the death of me!  I already have high triglycerides!

The foil didn't stick at all!  Well, just a teeny bit in one of the corners, but even that came off easily when I picked at it for a bit.

I ate one of the pieces that had a dark bit, but it was fine--no crunchiness or hardness in there, and no odd flavour, either.  Perfect!  I think I just lucked out this time.

There was a bit of hard stuff stuck to my pot, but just along the outskirts of the bottom, not in the middle, so I think I managed to avoid scraping it into my pan. 

Question:  It's quite cool right now in japan (it's 15 C in my apartment), and the caramels are keeping their shape so far.  Since it's probably going to stay cool (or perhaps get even cooler), would it be OK if I didn't wrap them?  They're perfect right now, but I'm wondering if they'll start spreading eventually.

I'd say do a little test and see. My caramels always spread if not wrapped or dipped.

Glad the foil didn't stick.

• 3 weeks later...

Kerry , I wanted to ask you something about the almond crunch , english toffet etc.

SOmeone at work made something similar but he made a higher layer of the brittle/toffe part , the thing is the color was almost pinkish and was very brittle , meaning more tender not hard ,kinda nice.I made some of the almond crunch ( no almond other nuts ) and the frist time ofcourse I burnt everything making a burnt oily mess ( my bad ) the second time it came out good , but mine are not pinkish color like this guy and the one I have seen in your demo.There is something I am missing ,I do need to buy a better termometer , but I wante to know if the color texture can be fixed , I really like his , mine are still brittle but more caramel color , what cause this?

gallery_44494_2818_10287.jpg

Thank you so much

PS: I followed your fromula first , I burned it all then reserching ( since I was low on butter ) I found another formula , Wolgfang Puck , very very similar to your , just calls for 1/2 tsp of baking soda , same temperature etc.Its nice but I think I canget a better color texture.

Vanessa

Kerry , I wanted to ask you something about the almond crunch , english toffet etc.

SOmeone at work made something similar  but he made a higher layer of the brittle/toffe part , the thing is the color was almost pinkish and was very brittle , meaning more tender not hard ,kinda nice.I made some of the almond crunch ( no almond other nuts ) and the frist time ofcourse I burnt everything making a burnt oily mess ( my bad ) the second time it came out good , but mine are not pinkish color like this guy and the one I have seen in your demo.There is something I am missing ,I do need to buy a better termometer , but I wante to know if the color texture can be fixed , I really like his , mine are still brittle but more caramel color , what cause this?

gallery_44494_2818_10287.jpg

Thank you so much

PS: I followed your fromula first , I burned it all then reserching ( since I was low on butter ) I found another formula , Wolgfang Puck , very very similar to your , just calls for 1/2 tsp of baking soda , same temperature etc.Its nice but I think I canget a better color texture.

Vanessa,

I'm not sure about the pinkish colour, perhaps a recipe with some brown sugar might give you a different colour. When I look at the colour of the almond butter crunch in the confectionary course it seems the same colour as yours.

Are you using the recipe for the confectionary course or from the confectionary thread which had the finely ground sugar added at the end?