• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yet another "where should I eat" topic

tug

First, let me qualify by saying that I'm a native noo yawker. I've been exiled to Northern NJ for some time now, but all of my culinary experiences still happen in the City. In fact, with the exception of a few neighborhood eateries, I am completely naiive about NJ dining. We tend to gravitate to the City :o)

So, in November I will be celebrating my 30-10th birthday (ahem). My husband is treating me to a weekend in the City, complete with a 2-night stay at an over-priced hotel.

I am already planning to go to Pegu Club, and I need a recommendation for a show stopping dinner for one of the nights. The other meals will include dimsum and a few favorite spots we like revisiting.

I have read a few recent reviews of Babbo and find it to be going through a luke-warm stint at the moment. With such high expectations for the weekend, I really want something consistently special.

My husband is old-school English (read: meat and 2 veg) with a burgeoning palate. I'm hoping to find something that will stimulate him, not altogether shock him. He's fine with most Asian cuisines (I am part Asian), yet I cannot get him to embrace Japanese food.

Its been a long time since I had my hand on the pulse of the City's culinary offerings. Can anyone help? :o)

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Blue Hill NYC is fairly close to Pegu and has out of this world meat and potatoes food with a great atmosphere.

thanks for replying NYC Mike! Do you think it has a "wow" quality?

- The Goons

Blue Hill NYC is fairly close to Pegu and has out of this world meat and potatoes food with a great atmosphere.

thanks for replying NYC Mike! Do you think it has a "wow" quality?

It depends on what you want to be wowed by. The decor etc is very low key and relaxed. But, to me the food is for sure a "wow".

-Mike & Andrea

Maybe I should refine my request then.

Can I get a few recommendations for a "wow" place? :o)

I want something memorable, great food, great service - slightly out of the ordinary.

- The Goons

Daniel is obvious (clearly New York's most festive NYT four-star restaurant), but I guess it should be said.

impressive. any favorite dishes? have you ever tried the tasting menu?

- The Goons

I can honestly say that it's been so long since I've eaten there that my recollections would be worthless, even if I could dredge them up. But I have no doubt whatsoever that qualtiy there has been maintained. It's just that kind of place.

Anyone else who can say something more useful?

Thank you SO much. As I have the luxury of time to research, I would love to get a few more suggestions :o)

- The Goons

In recent memory, in Manhattan, I can't say anyplace wowed me more than WD-50.

Annisa is another choice that's hard to beat for a special occasion.

And one more, Devi certainly wows with very upscale Indian food and the room is quite attractive - sit upstairs.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I really like Annisa, but I don't think I'd call it "show stopping".

Maybe not show stopping, but worth a standing O at the end.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I guess I should just say to tug that, while all the restaurants rich has recommended are ones I really like, Annissa and Devi are ones that I have a feeling are more casual and everyday than the "event" place I think you're looking for. Of course, if I'm wrong about what you're looking for, then disregard that comment.

WD-50 is pretty casual, too. But it's not everyday. The food is so special -- show-stopping, you might say -- that it doesn't matter. Certainly a "wow." You'd have to consider whether this kind of "avant-garde" cooking is beyond your husband's level of tolerance, though.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I guess I should just say to tug that, while all the restaurants rich has recommended are ones I really like, Annissa and Devi are ones that I have a feeling are more casual and everyday than the "event" place I think you're looking for.  Of course, if I'm wrong about what you're looking for, then disregard that comment.

WD-50 is pretty casual, too.  But the food is so special -- show-stopping, you might say -- that it doesn't matter.  Certainly an "event."  You'd have to consider whether this kind of "avant-garde" cooking is beyond your husband's level of tolerance, though.

You bring up a good point SE. What are the places in NYC that are consistently show stopping with respect to food, yet relaxed enough to kick back and enjoy for that special occasion? I don't think Daniel, JG, ADNY, PS, LB, Bouley or Masa fit. Possibly Cru, certainly Stone Barns, but that's not in NYC.

It's a difficult category. Maybe a new topic.

Rich Schulhoff

Tug should really chime in, but my assumption is that she isn't looking for a place that's "relaxed enough to kick back and enjoy it". I think you have a very particular kind of preference -- which I understand and share to large extent -- that isn't shared by a lot of people looking for these "once in a lifetime" experiences.

I mean, the food I've been most impressed with in New York in the last year is Eleven Madison Park, but I'm not recommending it here because I think anyone looking for a "show-stopping" experience would find the whole package -- not the food, but the whole deal -- too low-key and casual. Danube isn't nearly as good, but you just walk into that room, and you feel like it's a special occassion.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I am again going to recommend Cru. The food is phenomenal, and there's lots of meat on the menu. Whatever you do, have some pasta there. It very much felt to me like a special occasion kind of place (price wise it would have to be, at least for me) but there's nothing stuffy about it.

Yes, Sneakeater, I am looking for more of an "event" place rather than a casual one. We go to the casual ones a lot. I'm with you in your concern about WD-50 for my husband. He turned almost peaked at the Bourdain-Adria special the other week. I think he would just give up at the sight of cotton-candy wrapped fish :o)

- The Goons

Okies, I've had time to rethink this .. and I've come to the realization that I may not be able to afford a whole weekend of the kind of "wow" meals I've mentioned.

Maybe I shouldnt limit myself :huh:

I humbly request that my fellow eG'ers continue to make suggestions. Any contribution is much appreciated!

- The Goons

thank you raxelita and jaypm51!

I've just read the thread here about Union Squre Cafe. Does anyone have an opinion about it?

- The Goons