• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bettola - Birmingham, Alabama

Pizza Napoletana

• 3 weeks later...
This is one of their Marinara with fresh oregano..

gallery_24289_683_32440.jpg

Where is this place?

Found it and just ate there. My pie had roasted garlic, buffalo motz., basil, and cherry tomatoes. Very good. The only criticism I have is that I got a short (maybe 4 oz.) pour of red wine. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 5 oz. standard?

FistFullaRoux,

Did you manage to go? Any pictures?

Thanks

Haven't made it there yet. I will be in the neighborhood most of this month, though. the Jaycees have the Haunted House back this year, and I'm a Jaycee. It's only a few blocks away.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, but where is it? Summit? Mountain Brook? Hoover?

C'mon, share with the group.

Never mind, I found it. Lakeview area. Cool. I'll check it out this weekend.

I am going to be in Birmingham in December. Where is the Lakeview area?

I am not sure, check this out and/or give them a ring:

http://www.birminghamweekly.com/archived/p...061026_food.php

Lakeview is on the east side of Southside, about 5 minutes from downtown. Bettola is next to Pepper Place in the Martin Biscuit building. From downtown you take 22nd St. toward Southside, then take a left on 2nd Ave. South, and then a right on 29th St. It is on the left. Where will you be staying?

The food is good, not the best brick oven pie I have ever had, but a viable and competent effort.

not the best brick oven pie I have ever had, but a viable and competent effort.

Menon,

Can you expand on that? What was the best pie? what was positive and what was negative about Bettola's pizza in your opinion?

Is that something to do with Neapolitan vs NYC style?

Thanks

not the best brick oven pie I have ever had, but a viable and competent effort.

Menon,

Can you expand on that? What was the best pie? what was positive and what was negative about Bettola's pizza in your opinion?

Is that something to do with Neapolitan vs NYC style?

Thanks

I may have come across as too critical. I found the crust to be excellent, but a little less crisp on the outside, more chewy on the inside (I like it a bit chewy) and a little less flavorful than I have had in similar establishments in places like DC (I wish I could remember then name of the place) and Italy (Florence and Naples). The tomato sauce was good, but I seem to remember that the sauce I usually got in Italy was slightly more tart, not bitter like from an under ripe tomato, but sharp. All in all I am glad they are here. I have been twice and have have twice been sated.

By the way, I love a good garlicky slice of NYC grease pizza too, although a much different beast.

What is your general impression?

Lakeview is on the east side of Southside, about 5 minutes from downtown. Bettola is next to Pepper Place in the Martin Biscuit building. From downtown you take 22nd St. toward Southside, then take a left on 2nd Ave. South, and then a right on 29th St. It is on the left. Where will you be staying?

The food is good, not the best brick oven pie I have ever had, but a viable and competent effort.

Thanks, I know where that is. I am driving from Anniston for the day.

I may have come across as too critical. I found the crust to be excellent, but a little less crisp on the outside, more chewy on the inside (I like it a bit chewy) and a little less flavorful than I have had in similar establishments in places like DC (I wish I could remember then name of the place) and Italy (Florence and Naples). The tomato sauce was good, but I seem to remember that the sauce I usually got in Italy was slightly more tart, not bitter like from an under ripe tomato, but sharp. All in all I am glad they are here. I have been twice and have have twice been sated.

By the way, I love a good garlicky slice of NYC grease pizza too, although a much different beast.

What is your general impression?

For neopolitan pizza the tomatoes must be San Marzano's D.O.P. (we use them, they are worth the cost),and mozzarella and garlic traditionally should not be combined as the delicacy of the cheese is overpowered. The dough should be made with organic flour, fresh cake yeast, and only fresh mozz and herbs. This is in accordance with the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana.

For neopolitan pizza the tomatoes must be San Marzano's D.O.P. (we use them, they are worth the cost),and mozzarella and garlic traditionally should not be combined as the delicacy of the cheese is overpowered. The dough should be made with organic flour, fresh cake yeast, and only fresh mozz and herbs. This is in accordance with the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana.

Timh,

I would use the word "must" carefully. It is nowhere written that the San Marzano tomatoes must be DOP and in fact noone in Naples use the certified variety. It must be San Marzano's seed varietal tomatoes grown in the Vesuvio area, but many producer do not have the DOP certification and still produce outstanding product. As matter of fact, the ONLY producer using the authentic San Marzano varietal (no the San Marzano 2 Hybrid), is not certified.....

The flour is not organic, just "natural" as it doesn't have the additives so comon in US milled flour (Bromated, ascorbic acid etc). Also Natural Yeast (AKA SOurdough starter) CAN be used.

Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana, at least in US, just seam to be out there to make money, I cannot see their philosophical, protective status for the Authentic Pizza Napoletana, when they do not "require" their members to use an Authentic Neapolitan Pizza Oven (this time really should say "must be the neapolitan one and not jus a wood fired oven) and also allow their members to use Hobarth or other Planetary mixer, which are nowhere "indicated" to make Neapolitan Pizza dough.

I am not trying to open an argument but Pizza Napoletana is My Heart...

Ciao

PS which pizzeria do you own or work in?

Edited by Pizza Napoletana (log)

I must say I agree with you, on all points. I guess my point is that there needs to be some sort of standard to measure by. I'm always a little leary of any authenticating organization, but they are at least setting standards.

I'm the chef of a little enoteca on the south shore in Ma. We are not a pizzaria, but I offer two, a margarita, and a del giorno. My mgr is from just outside Naples, family owns a bakery, and we use as our standard Da Michele, near the familiys home.(We make our own mozz also, this was the hardest to achieve consistency) Currently we have only a gas convection pizza oven(achieves 600 deg) I hace worked a wood burning oven before and hope to get on soon for here. I hope to open a true neapolitan pizzaria in the near future. One model I admire is Tutta Bella in Seattle. (TuttaBellaPizza.com)

Edited by Timh (log)

I must say I agree with you, on all points. I guess my point is that there needs to be some sort of standard to measure by. I'm always a little leary of any authenticating organization, but they are at least setting standards.

I'm the chef of a little enoteca on the south shore in Ma. We are not a pizzaria, but I offer two, a margarita, and a del giorno.  My mgr is from just outside Naples, family owns a bakery, and we use as our standard Da Michele, near the familiys home.(We make our own mozz also, this was the hardest to achieve consistency)  Currently we have only a gas convection pizza oven(achieves 600 deg) I hace worked a wood burning oven before and hope to get on soon for here. I hope to open a true neapolitan pizzaria in the near future. One model I admire is Tutta Bella in Seattle. (TuttaBellaPizza.com)

The Standard idea is not bad and there is a second association which is authorised to promote the Pizza Napoletana stg. I am trying to get them involved in USA.

I know quite a lot about Tutta Bella, and can say that their pizza is nowhere an Authentic Pizza Napoletana. They use the wrong Oven and an industrial approach for some aspects. Pizza Napoletana is an artisan product

Wow, who then would you consider an authentic pizzeria? I am thinking of the place in Arizona(Phoenix?) I've read about before.

Il Pizzaiolo-Pittsburgh - PA

Bettola (this post)

Probably Settebello in Las Vegas when they instal the new Oven and have heard good things about Spacca Napoli in Chicago.

I believe you are talking about Chris Bianco in Phoenix: For his own admission, he is not trying to do an authentic Pizza Napoletana, jus his own take on Gourmet Wood Fired Pizza.

Ciao