• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast Cereal

Fat Guy

Raisin Bran was a staple in my house growing up. I preferred the Kelloggs with the non-sugar coated raisins as opposed to the Post sugary raisins. There wasn't an all-out ban on sweet cereal, but it was very rare.

Rice Krispies is pretty much the only cereal we buy now (once or twice a year?), but it is mostly used for Rice Krispies Treats.

I eat boxed cereal almost every morning. Mostly I get the natural or organic stuff from Trader Joes because it's not as sweet and waaaay cheaper than supermarket brands. My current new favorite is Barbara's Peanut Butter Puffins. (disclaimer - I'm a sugar addict and must have something sweet in the morning and after all meals)

On thing I've noticed (for those parents who don't like their younguns to have the super-sugery kids cereals) is that if you look at the nutrition labels, many of the so-called "adult" brands actually have more grams of sugar per serving. It's just that most of the kid brands have the sugar on the surface in the form of frosting or marshmallows and therefore *taste* sweeter. Much of this sugar frosting actually dissolves into the milk, so if you don't drink the milk left in the bowl you actually ingest much less sugar.

• 16 years later...

Reviving this ancient discussion to say that some old favorites are adding some new flavors in 2019:

"Rice Krispies' New Flavor Is a Rice Krispie Treat Game-Changer"

[Kellogg's]...has just announced three new cereals slated for release in January representing some interesting new options to two of its best known names: Rice Krispies and Frosted Flakes.

The three new flavors?  Strawberry (Rice) Krispies, Honey Nut Frosted Flakes and Banana Crème Frosted Flakes.

I have never consumed anything with an added (fake) banana flavor that I've liked. So the jury is out on that one flavor for me as I await the opinion of the unwashed cereal-eating masses.

Is anyone willing to take one for the team and try them when these new flavors debut?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

Reviving this ancient discussion to say that some old favorites are adding some new flavors in 2019:

"Rice Krispies' New Flavor Is a Rice Krispie Treat Game-Changer"

The three new flavors?  Strawberry (Rice) Krispies, Honey Nut Frosted Flakes and Banana Crème Frosted Flakes.

I have never consumed anything with an added (fake) banana flavor that I've liked. So the jury is out on that one flavor for me as I await the opinion of the unwashed cereal-eating masses.

Is anyone willing to take one for the team and try them when these new flavors debut?

I will likely go for the Strawberry Rice Krispies.  I like strawberries, and I like Rice Krispies.  How they work together with the fake flavoring might be interesting.   

If it is completely intolerable, well....I do have those chickens that were not blessed with a discerning palate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I tried the cinnamon Kellog's corn flakes and wasn't impressed. Normally, I love cinnamon, I don't know where this went wrong. Honey Bunches of Oats with real strawberries was very good.

I don't eat a lot of commercially made cereal, I tend to eat old-fashioned oatmeal in the winter and home-made granola in the summer.

• Like 4

I liked the cinnamon corn flakes, but then I am a Seinfeld level cereal lover.  I am also a kid when it comes to cereal - my very favorite is Lucky Charms 😊.  I think that it comes from having a mom who only bought Wheat Chex and Shredded Wheat 😒.  I almost never eat it for breakfast, though.  To me, cereal is a dinner replacement or a midnight snack.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We occasionally had sweetened cereals in our house, when I was a kid, although never the ones with marshmallows or the ones with fake fruit flavors. A bowl of one of them, with milk, was considered to be as acceptable for dessert as a serving of ice cream. (Breakfast cereals were along the lines of Cheerios, corn flakes, Wheat/Corn/Rice Chex, Kix, and the like.)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

We didn't get a lot of cold cereal when  I was a kid, either.  I remember Kix and  that's about it.  Mostly we had the instant packets of oatmeal and I was allowed to boil the water for it myself from a young age (of which I was very proud.  It was an electric stove - microwaves hadn't been invented yet ;) - so my parents probably figured not much could go wrong).

I did get the cinnamon frosted flakes but didn't really like them and no one else in house did either.  My husband loves to snack on the flavored frosted mini wheats and the kid has been known to make an entire box of the blueberry ones disappear in a day.....I cannot keep enough Honey Bunches of Oats with almonds in the house either - and I'm not eating the cereal! LOL..  When I'm craving breakfast for dinner I want buckwheat pancakes or eggs in any way, shape or form.

• Like 3

We keep a box of Grape Nuts in the closet for adding to yogurt. They are good as a non-sweet alternate to granola for that purpose. Usually a box of some kind of Cheerios (multigrain most often), since DH is diabetic, he can't do too much harm if he grabs a handful. I also like Kashi honey almond clusters. We did have sugar cereals at home when I was a kid, along with "healthier" ones like Special K and Raisin Bran.

I actually think those strawberry Rice Krispies would be kind of interesting to use for Krispie Treats...

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 10 months later...

"Coconut Cheerios Are Officially Hitting Shelves Next Month"

...we can now confirm that the General Mills Toasted Coconut Cheerios cereal is launching this November! The official rep from General Mills informed us that the manufacturer suggested retail price is $2.99. You can grab a box of the limited-edition coconut cereal when it hits shelves at major grocers and retailers.

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

On 11/22/2018 at 4:50 AM, Lisa Shock said:

I tried the cinnamon Kellog's corn flakes and wasn't impressed. Normally, I love cinnamon, I don't know where this went wrong. Honey Bunches of Oats with real strawberries was very good.

I don't eat a lot of commercially made cereal, I tend to eat old-fashioned oatmeal in the winter and home-made granola in the summer. 

Lisa,

Would you care to share your recipe for the granola?

I tried to make some while my computer was dead, so I couldn't search online. I searched my cookbooks, and though I have about three dozen, none could really help. So I tried baking some old-fashioned oats with brown sugar and a little salt and spices. Low temps toasted the oats nicely, and anything high enough to melt the sugar to the oats also burnt the oats.

My next step was going to be melting sugar and a little corn syrup stovetop and lightly coating oven toasted oats with that syrup.

I have faith that your tried and true recipe will save time, ingredients and frustration, though. 🙂

> ^ . . ^ <

If you look up the recipe for Rose Levy Beranbaum's  Luxury Oatmeal cookies, there's a recipe for homemade granola that looks wonderful (I haven't made it).  I haven't seen Lisa on here in quite a while and I do miss her contributions and wit!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I will definitely be trying those.  I adore toasted coconut in almost any form.  

you can have mine....

we eat blueberry cherrios as a snack around here

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I don't remember where I found my granola recipe, but it's a good one. 4 cups of oats, 2 cups of nuts (I tend to use a combo of chopped pecans and cashew pieces; you can use a lot less, but I love nuts), a cup and a half of coconut flakes (I try to use unsweetened). Mix up and then heat in the microwave in a big measuring cup a half-stick of butter, a quarter cup of maple syrup (or, I guess, any thin syrup), and a quarter cup of brown sugar. I season with a little cinnamon, a little allspice, a little nutmeg, a little cloves -- not a whole lot, maybe a half-tsp of cinnamon, a quarter-tsp of allspice, and just pinches of nutmeg and cloves, and if you don't have those on hand, just the cinnamon would be fine). Heat it until the butter's melted, drizzle over the oats mixture, and stir it up until it looks like most everything has a little on it. I separate it into two jelly-roll pans and toast at 300 for about 40 minutes, stirring maybe every 10 minutes. This makes about a quart and a half of granola; obviously you can cut the recipe down to suit your needs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

I haven't tried those yet.  Mr. Kim gets crazy when there are more than 5 cereal boxes in the pantry, so I have to eat a box or two first! 😊

Darlin' that is why there is one box upstairs and the others are in lock boxes downstairs in the pantry....

• Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

Pumpkin Spice Life cereal...had a coupon and it was on sale. I'm not a fan of Pumpkin Spice in general, but I like Cinnamon Life so I gave it a try. It does have a different warm spice flavor and the "pumpkin" notes are not really noticeable, so I'll give it 3 stars. Won't rush to buy it again (still prefer Cinnamon flavor), but it's eminently snackable and not overly sweet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 5 weeks later...

"Twinkies Cereal coming to a grocer near you"

Set to hit store shelves nationwide next month, the new breakfast offering "replicates the distinctive taste and familiar oblong shape of the golden-colored snack cake, delivering delightful sweetness in every bite," Post and Hostess announced Wednesday. 

"We think fans will find that it not only tastes great with milk but also outside the bowl," Josh Jans, brand manager of cereal partnerships at Post Consumer Brands, said.

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

"Hershey's Kisses have officially entered the cereal aisle"

General Mills has launched Hershey’s Kisses Cereal, and we won’t even have to wait to give it a try: The cereal is available at select retailers now and will become more widely available in January.

According to a representative for General Mills, the cereal “has a nice light crunch and smooth chocolate flavor” that is “perfect to enjoy on its own or to add a sweet twist to breakfast!”...

Interesting. If you find this in the cereal aisle, please buy a box and take one for the team.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver