• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Restaurant Appartement"

bleudauvergne

I was suprised to see that Sonia Ezgulian, chef/owner of Oxalis, has closed her doors for good and is developing a restaurant-appartement concept. She plans to do dinners once a week. Obviously this will not be dans le noir.

Has anyone seen this sprouting up among other French chefs, anywhere in Paris, for example? Any buzz or opinion on this phenomenon?

About ten years ago, there was a concept restaurant in Paris called "L'Appart'", I don't know if it's still going on. I'd suspect not.

They served food every day, but in a real Parisian haussmannian apartment, so the place was a succession of salons. That made up for a special atmosphere. Never been there, never heard much about the food, don't think it sprouted branches.

Sonia's concept will be sensibly different. She will serve her delicious food once a week in intimate surroundings. I bet there's going to be quite a waiting list.

Ah Hah! I was about to ask Lucy what she was talking about, but you saved me the embarassment.

I've never heard of this anywhere in Europe, but I did go to a restaurant like this in New Orleans a few years ago. In this case an old house with the living rooms as dining areas with 2-4 tables & the bedrooms as private dining rooms seating up to 10. Can't remember the name, but the food was good & the wine excellent.

We (5 of us) were told about this place & decided to try to get in, no reservation of course. When we got there it was obvious that the place was packed & our chances for a table were little or none. I decided to try anyway as we were there. Just as I reached the entry & before I'd said anything the maitre'd looked at me & asked; "are you the Fitzwater party?"

I immediately said yes & we were led to a very nice small private room. We had a great meal & never did figure out who the Fitzwarers were or what happened when they arrived.

I've felt guilty ever since.

About ten years ago, there was a concept restaurant in Paris called "L'Appart'", I don't know if it's still going on. I'd suspect not.

They served food every day, but in a real Parisian haussmannian apartment, so the place was a succession of salons. That made up for a special atmosphere. Never been there, never heard much about the food, don't think it sprouted branches.

Sonia's concept will be sensibly different. She will serve her delicious food once a week in intimate surroundings. I bet there's going to be quite a waiting list.

Trust me, Pti, you missed nothing at L'Appart. While it was cosy and booklined (as was a wonderful NYC West Side place appropriately called The Library), the food, at least the Sunday Colette and I went, was all-bad, all-Amurican, and all-brunch - and I'd specifically asked if they had a regular menu. Since Dave mentioned the New Orleans place, I can say that in the 1970's it was fairly common in the US to take a brownstone and convert it to a "homey" resto: vide Mr and Mrs Fosters in NYC and an old "house of ill repute" in Aspen whose name escapes me where one dined on red velvet in a private room with a red velvet curtain separating you from the other customers and somewhat saucily-dressed waitresses.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Perhaps Shola has moved to Paris....

StudioKitchen

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Actually there were two American chefs who had a "dinner club" in their apartment a few years ago, but I'm not sure if they are still here. It was called Aux Chiens Lunatiques. Perhaps David Lebowitz would know because they worked at Chez Pannise.

Here is a link to their website; it doesn't look like it's been updated lately.

http://monsite.wanadoo.fr/chienlunatique/

I'll write to them to see if they are still open.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I wonder what the health and safety regulations entail for opening an establishment of this sort in France.  It would be worth a look into.

Do I sense the incubation of a business plan?

I immediately said yes & we were led to a very nice small private room. We had a great meal & never did figure out who the Fitzwarers were or what happened when they arrived.

I've felt guilty ever since.

Oh, so that was you!!!!

:wink::wink::wink:

Got me! ; but its to late now.

Not L'Appart off of the Champs Elysees? If so, it has no such concept..It was a nicely decorated (like, surprise , an apartment..) that offered a relatively classic cuisine, and had a nice downstairs "library" dining room and bar. They changed ownership years ago, and I have no idea who runs it now--used to be Jacky of SPICY fame (FD Roosevelt, 8eme)

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

You've been there, then. Their tartar wasn't half-bad...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Yeah, me too.

blog