• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Oysters Fried and Raw?

Chanteuse

OK.

I grew up in MA and loved fried clams with bellies, but for some reason, never got into oysters raw or cooked. Love just about all seafood/shellfish, but never got much into sushi either.

Have kept a boat on the upper east shore on Chesapeake Bay for 8 years. (Avatar is picture of our boat docked in Annapolis)

Have had 2 bad experiences with fried OYSTERS where they were inedible and one where they were LUSCIOUS!

Never have tried raw oysters, but would like to now.

As the Oyster season approaches, I would like some imput into the best oyster places in the area.

Naming some NEAR me would be great. (Chestertown, MD) But, I assume we'll be visiting Annapolis and Baltimore at some point as well.

Have not tried Crisfield yet, but might get down there at some point.

If I'm gonna try raw oysters, I want to make sure I have a good experience so I'm not "turned off" for good.

Also, what's the best way to try raw oysters the first time? Plain, lemon, horseradish, mignonette sauce ..... shooter :wink: ????

Edited by Chanteuse (log)
Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

OK.

I grew up in MA and loved fried clams with bellies, but for some reason, never got into oysters raw or cooked.  Love just about all seafood/shellfish, but never got much into sushi either.

Have kept a boat on the upper east shore on Chesapeake Bay for 8 years.  (Avatar is picture of our boat docked in Annapolis)

Have had 2 bad experiences with fried OYSTERS where they were inedible and one where they were LUSCIOUS!

Never have tried raw oysters, but would like to now.

As the Oyster season approaches, I would like some imput into the best oyster places in the area.

Naming some NEAR me would be great. (Chestertown, MD)  But, I assume we'll be visiting Annapolis and Baltimore at some point as well.

Have not tried Crisfield yet, but might get down there at some point.

If I'm gonna try raw oysters, I want to make sure I have a good experience so I'm not "turned off" for good.

Also, what's the best way to try raw oysters the first time?  Plain, lemon, horseradish, mignonette sauce ..... shooter  :wink:  ????

It's a couple of weeks off (OK, six), but you might try the St. Mary's County Oyster Festival in mid-October for fired or raw.

If you get into DC, Johnny's Half Shell (seafood joint) and Firefly (yuppie joint) are both well-regarded for their oysters, fried and otherwise.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I like the Guinness fried oysters at Galway Bay on Maryland Avenue in Annapolis.

Ah Ha!!! I LOVE Galway Bay!! I hadn't thought of trying the oysters yet though!! Thanks for reminding me!!!!

The St. Mary's Oyster fest sounds like a great idea too! Thanks.

And thanks for the "Les Folies" tip as well. I like the idea of being able to try the oysters from different areas!!!

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

If you drive down to the Oyster Festival in St. Mary's, keep an eye out for places along the way that may have their own Oyster Roast. That, to me, is an oyster at perfection. Just popped open and eaten on the half shell when it's brisk outside. Oh that is heaven...